BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm hungry...
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have installed a power outlet on my bike, for charging phones/laptops on long trips. It's tapped into my front signal light wires.

My question is, if my battery charger has a cigarette lighter plug, can I stick the plug in this power outlet to charge my battery? I normally draw power out of this outlet, so can I charge the battery with it? I can't wrap my head around this one.

My battery is under the tank, and it's a pain in the butt to remove.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Does the aux plug have power all the time (even with the key off)? If so, it should be on a wire that is connected back to the battery and may be okay to run a trickle charger into. The wire is probably a small guage and won't take more than a trickle charge though.

If you're handy with wiring, the safest thing to do is wire the aux plug straight to the battery (being sure to fuse it at the battery end). Then you know the power isn't running anywhere it shouldn't be.

·
I'm hungry...
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mcasell, this plug doesn't have power all the time. I tapped into the signal light wires, so it's only on when I turn the bike on. So are you saying this won't work if I plug the charger in b/c it's not directly connect to the battery? My battery charger is actually a battery tender/maintainer...not sure if that makes a diff.

I do also have a pigtail hanging from the seat (for my heated vest) that is directly connected to the battery. My battery charger/tender doesn't have a connector to the pigtail, that's why I was asking about the cigarette plug. If necessary, I guess I can always find something so the charger can connect to the pigtail.

I don't know why yamaha put the battery under the tank. What were they thinking?

·
Unregistered User
192 Posts
it will only charge when the light can turn on (i.e. bike on) because that's when it creates a complete circuit with the battery. You'll have to have the bike on to charge it.

Hi mcasell, this plug doesn't have power all the time. I tapped into the signal light wires, so it's only on when I turn the bike on. So are you saying this won't work if I plug the charger in b/c it's not directly connect to the battery? My battery charger is actually a battery tender/maintainer...not sure if that makes a diff.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Like bomber says, you won't be able to use the plug for charging then. I'd wire the lighter straight to the battery to make life easier in the future, or just pull it for winter if you don't plan to ride.

I do also have a pigtail hanging from the seat (for my heated vest) that is directly connected to the battery. My battery charger/tender doesn't have a connector to the pigtail, that's why I was asking about the cigarette plug. If necessary, I guess I can always find something so the charger can connect to the pigtail.

I don't know why yamaha put the battery under the tank. What were they thinking?

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
If you're wireing directly to the battery be sure you use an inline fuse in the wire that's close to the battery. Otherwise a frayed wire could cause a fire and cost you your bike. Also running the wires in out of the ways routes and lots of zip ties to hold it in place goes a long way to making sure you don't have problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts