BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I've been riding crotch rockets for 3 years now, looking into buying a cruiser. Either Honda Shadow, Yamaha Vstar etc... not sure which one yet, they all look the same to me honestly. My question is, is it possible to upgrade those rear wheels to the FAT WIDE ones they have on choppers? The fitting looks really tight on those bikes, so i'm curious to know if these CHOPPER wheels and tires will fit on these cruisers or are they too big? thanks in advance...

if not...looks like I have to wait another few yrs to save up for a chopper.

D

·
0 Posts
if the swingarm and drive train are set up for a sub 200 rear tire, there is no way you are going to shoehorn a 240 and up meat in there. unless you are into major mods.

even the chopper you look at has to have a frame ready to accomodate a larger tire.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I have seen a few conversions for cruisers that allow up to 280s but I doubt its cheap... not only would you have to mod the swing arm, drivetrain, but you'd have to change wheels or wheel if your not picky.

Check performancemachine.com I think I saw they had something.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm interesting, so i would just need to replace the swing arm? i guess something like a "wide tire kit" would possible do....tempt'n...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
holy!!! damn, that's one hella expensive mod...for those mods plus the price of the bike, heck i might as well just get a used ducati 7 series...the cruiser will have to wait another 5-10 yrs then until i can afford a custom chopper.

D

·
0 Posts
bigbadpoppa said:
hmm interesting, so i would just need to replace the swing arm? i guess something like a "wide tire kit" would possible do....tempt'n...
uh, no. your wide tire would now be too wide for your drivetrain. you'd need an offset left side drive, which includes an offset for your engine, or a rightside drive to compensate. if not, the belt coming off the tranny will be at an angle, and will shred in about 3 turns.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
You could look into the 06 Suzuki M109 supposedly has the biggest motor of any cruiser and its got a 240 rear tire stock.

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
I love what it says at the bottom of the V-Star Kit section.
"Note: This kit will offset the rear wheel 3/4". This will not affect the handling of your motorcycle."

Handling! What handling?. It's a freakin' chopper....... ha ha ha!!!

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but when you convert to a wider tire turn in ability deduces? So in the twisties your bike will not handle as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts