BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since its still cool in the mountains, I'm thinking an inland / coastal ride for the beginning of the season.

Date: Friday March 3 to Sunday the 5.

Leave: 6:30 am from Vancouver to catch 10:15 Keystone ferry from Whidbey Isl.

Route: Over the boarder down Chuckanut dr. too Whidbey island. Down the Hood Canal and on to Hwy 101. If people are interested we could take backroads running adjacent to the I-5 , but this is weather dependant.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its 7 hours of riding down, so I figure more saddle time is needed before the trip.

My plans once down in Cannon Beach is to hangout, walk the beach, rent bicycles, checkout the Shops and Pubs/Restaurants.

The area has some interesting back roads. We could possibly do a loop ride, by going back up to Astoria down Hwy 202 Jewel, Mist and down to Tilamook on Hwy 6. Then back up the 101 to Cannon beach.

{ I have rethought this route and its a full half a day trip, with ?able pavement. Slydes idea in the coming thread makes more sense. A little concerned with cool temps on the backroads. }
I've always liked the farm country of Tilamook, so we could easily ride down the 101 on Saturday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Definitely going to keep an eye on this as March 3rd is getting closer to when I was thinking of heading down myself.

Tex.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Brian I'll be going on this ride as long as it dosn't snow. Check out Hwy 53 it goes from Nehalem on the coast and north to meet Hwy 26 just east of Cannon Beach. I did this road a couple of years ago with some of the "motodummies"and if you like smooth pavment with alot of twisties then do this road.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride, but Ill wait till next year, when I have more experience. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Brian,

I just came back from a weekend ride to Westport, WA, a couple of weeks ago (Sat, Sun). It was on that sunny weekend we all enjoyed. The ride was great. When I got to Westport, I went over to Grayland State Park and camped the night there along the thunderous ocean shoreline.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=303905

My ride was 5.5 hours rolling time, with 7.0 hours total time (including rests, border wait - ugh). I am sure your Oregon ride is very doable on just Sat to Sun. A early start on Sat (7:00) would make all the difference - just watch for frosty roads for the first hour or two.

I might be interested in joining you on your trip, if that is cool. I don't think we have met before; I did spend alot of time last summer at BB racing around on Thursday evenings - were you there?

What are your plans for accommodations (motel, camping, etc)?

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SJOE, I actually ripped apart a battery/light/compressor and salvaged an air pump out of it for your flats. Ha Ha. Catch you another time.

Iceman, Yeah first two years are critical to survival. Take care !

Texas, If your coming down get some good gear.

Slyde, I'm buddies with and we have chatted about the ride.

Skeleton,

You crazy man camping out by the ocean at Grayland Park. I camped out on the ocean around Florence Oregon one time on the bike. Reminded me of waking up in a tent on the Queen Charlotte's, dewy and damp, you do not want to leave your sleeping bag.

This coming tuesday is the deciding time if were going. Weather/Reservations

Shooting for friday and be back home sunday night.

Get a place right out on the main drag, Hemlock street. Wake up and have Haystack Rock protruding out of the Pacific.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yahoo's extended weather forecast predicts showers and temps of 40/low to 46/high oF. As showers is only intermittent rain, this is probably as good as it gets for Spring weather.

With electric vest, winter gear, and 1-piece rain suit, I'm fine for stuff like that. I'm not sure about others though.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just wanting to get a head count. Then make resevervations by monday.
I'm considering the Blue Gull Inn on Hemlock street close to the happenin places. On the net this can be found under Haystock lodging. One queen and two singles for friday to sunday $216 USD for everything. Ended going with the Mcbee motel for two people $117 USD.

Could someone bring a digital camera to post some picks of the ride. My computer at this time cannot post pics on BCSB.

The long term forecast is for friday to have a bit of sun, saturday rainy and sunday with over cast sky's. I'm more concerned if the temp drops. If so it could be slippery.

Myself, Slyde and Skeleton all have the correct gear. ie. rain suits, heated vests, storage capacity etc.

Please consider your abilites for this ride as conditions could be ?able.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looking forward to it Brian,I'll bring my camera. Have you figured out the schedual as far as leaving times and meeting spots.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So far I will make res for two people Slyde and I. Looks Like Skeleton's going to camp.

Leave friday morning from N.Van. 6:30am. Could stop off at the Chevron at Boundry and Grandview if anyone is interested.

You could hook up with us on Saturday Skeleton in Cannon beach. I will see if Slydes cell phone works over the boarder, if not leave a message at the Motel.

Slyde, I could meet you at your place at 7 am friday.

Have res at the Mcbee motel, still close to the beach, town center and probably not far to walk to Tolavana Park.

Leave friday back sunday night.

If the weather is mild like it was on monday this will be a great trip!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Others:

While Scooter and Slyde are heading out Friday morning, I'll be going early Saturday morning. If anyone else is up for Saturday, then feel free to PM me.

I expect we should all be able to return together on Sunday.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The weather looks like it's still going to be good. 20,30 and 40% POP for friday to sunday. A friend has taken me down backroads running from Shelton to Longview running adjacent to the I-5. A shit load of lefts and rights. Past the I-5 heading west there are only three bridges crossing the Columbia river. Longview, Cathlamet to Westport and Astoria. I have never crossed the bridge and taken the ferry over to Westport. So the plan is to head west down the Columbia River and make this crossing. Once in Oregon it will be mostly backroads to Cannon Beach. Saturday thinking about heading towards Tillamook through the rollling hills of farm country. The view points from Hwy 101 are some of the best on the Hwy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bran, when you return be sure to post all of your pics. I am planning a trip down possibly as far south as portlant via the 101 and back up the I-5. There are so many different roads that lead to the same destination it's hard to pick one route. If you have a route plotted feel free to post it or pm it to me. Thanks, have fun guys, even a miserable day riding is better than a good day at work. :coffee
-Nick

·
Registered
89 Posts
What an awsome trip ,weather was great ,cool town and great ridding(mechanical isues aside) Thanks for organizing this Brian, you should think about making this an annual event. Steve glad you made it, great meeting you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts