BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know somewhere good, and that won't void your warranty to get a newer Honduh car serviced. I have a 2005 Civic DX and just recently got my 16,000 km service and felt anally mollested.:eek It cost $211 for some visual checks, tire rotation and an oil change, is this good, bad? Cause it stings bad. Anyway! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated:surrender

Thanks, Mig:rockon

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Or you could change your oil yourself? Easiest thing on earth.
just need a wrench, and something to catch the oil.
Tire Rotation can be done yourself.. although with jacks this would be a pain in the ass, heh.
Isn't all that is required for your warranty is to have your car brought in for a checkup every so often by a certified mechanic? I dont know though, I havent read my warranty info.

Ryan

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I can go anywhere for an oil change, it just so happened oil change was part of the service I was going in for, I won't take to a dealership for oil change. But I mean all the other servicing that comes with time and kilometers.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
I know I can go anywhere for an oil change, it just so happened oil change was part of the service I was going in for, I won't take to a dealership for oil change. But I mean all the other servicing that comes with time and kilometers.
16,000kms, there is no servicing.
Nothing is worn out besides your oil.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Jesus, $211 for a second service on a Honda? Did they use a solid gold oil filter?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thoughts exactly, ass hats they are. So I am looking to get away from them. Also my manual says I am in extreme weather conditions, and I need servicing every 8,000 km. Fuck right off I say. So again, if anyone has some suggestions, or know what somoene else does with an '05. K THANKS!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Service is how Honda and every other car mfg. makes money. They check all those things in order to keep your car in top running order with no suprises. If you want to be more frugal with car care be aware that there are many things that may get overlooked; brakes, steering, suspension, checks, and fluid and filter changes may seem petty, but after time and unforseen circumstances the car will let you down if they are neglected. I have seen a lot of failures in cars that have way less than 16k on them. Just be careful, it would be a good idea to get a service schedule from your dealer and perform the reccommended service items yourself, just don't neglect them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just believe 8000 km is a little extreme. My new car is expensive enough as is. I do not feel like dishing out $200+ every 8000 km. I drive 157 km a day for work. That would be WAY Much.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
If it was MY civic, I would be running mobil 1 5w30 and be thinking extending the interval to 10,000kms, that is, if it runs to 8,000 kms on regular oil.

Then I'd get a hydraulic jack AND axle stands for 40 some odd bucks from stupidstore and get familiar with changing the oil.

Remember though, this isnt something you can screw up, losing all your oil is an absolute worse case scenario which usually involves a new engine.
Unlike bike oil pan cases with aluminum threads, cars normally come with steel cases which are somewhat harder to strip.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
As far as voiding the warranty, keep all receipts if you do go to Mr Lube etc.

There have been many many cases of (mostly American) vehicles which come from the factory with bad filters, improperly assembled oil systems, etc. which, even with DILIGENT care have self destructed and, in some cases, the only recourse the owner had was the lube shop receipts as it had appeared that the engine suffered from oil starvation.

Otherwise, keep a log of oil changes that youve done yourself.

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
Hmmm. I just had the 16,000 km service done and I was quoted $186.

Assuming you're not using synthetic oil it's a vary good idea to change your oil at least every 8,000 km. Your engine will thank you. At ~$40/change at a place like Mr. Lube it's cheap "insurance" to ensure the longevity of your engine. If you want to reduce the cost then do it yourself. A oil change pan (one that can be sealed so when you take the oil to a recycling depot it doesn't spill all over your trunk) is like $12 - $15 at Canadian Tire and an oil and filter should run about $20/change. If you're like most people you probably spend that much on coffee in a week.

If you're worried about the cost what you can do is ask the dealer's service department exactly what specific tasks they are going to do for the 16,000 km service (or any service for that matter) and pick and choose what you get them to do. If you can get the oil change done elsewhere (or yourself) for less than what they're going to charge you then tell them not to do it. Same goes for the tire rotation which is pretty simple to do. (When I took my car in for the 16,000 km service I told them not to bother b/c I just put my snowies on the car.) That way they'll only do the important stuff (e.g., visual inspection) and anything else you allow them to do where they're cost competitive.

One other piece of advice for anyone looking at buying a car (or bike, for that matter). Instead of incessantly shopping around and grinding the cost down look at buying a car as potentially building a relationship with your salesperson and the dealer. Instead of going somewhere else to save $100 on a $25,000 car why not go with the place that seems to more interested in a longer term relationship. I know my dad (who's a sales rep. at a Honda dealer) approaches it this way and he's always going out of his way to assist his clients (e.g., loaning his own personal car to clients when their vehicle is in the shop). Of course, he gets screwed once in a while (like the bitch who got a photo radar ticket while driving my dad's car and wouldn't repay him) but in the long run it's what he's more comfortable with and he gets tons of referrals and repeat business. He also hears from lots of people who went elsewhere to save $100 and then they come back to him bellyaching about how the dealer they bought they're car from isn't treating them as well as my dad ensures his dealership does.

Anyways, just my two cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts