BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an older '94 Golf, and we're trying to track down a water leak (I haven't looked at it myself). I seem to remember there being somethign you could add to the water to aid in tracing leaks? Any ideas?

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
you can add any dye... most car shops have a red dye that you add to the coolant... run the engine, and you look for the dye.

you are probably looking at a hose, or a gasket somwhere.

Rod

·
Ibrakeforhallucinations
46 Posts
We use Ultralite made by Cliplight at our shop. Add it, run engine/road test. Inspect with UV light. Leak will appear as a green glow at point of leak.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
another way it so pressurize the system and listen for hissing or look for bubbles. Most mechanics have the tools for that.

I spent a while tracking coolant leak on my vehicle last month, it turned out to be a rusty freeze plug, which leaked only when the car was running, and wormed up to normal operating temperature..
The coolant would vaporate within minutes of me shutting the engine down, so finding it was a frustrating experience, as was looking for it when the car was not running, or cold..
It'd drip 2 or 3 drops after shutting the engine off, and that's it...

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62280&highlight=coolant+leak

Edit
also, there is a limited number of spots coolant could be lieaking from in general.
you can usually tell where it's comming from even by looking where it drips on the floor.
If it's not the rad or a hose, then most propably it's the pump, most of which (as my understanding is) have a weep hole on the bottom.
Other than it *may* be one of the feeze plugs, as I've found out from experience...:(

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
He never did say COOLANT leak. Are you looking for WATER leaking into the cabin/trunk of the car OR leaking out of the engine?

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
well he did say "ADD TO THE WATER" which implies adding something to a closed system? unless you can add stuff to rain?!!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did mean the cooling system (so yes coolant - although coolant itself hasnt' seen this car for a bit due to the leak).

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
I also assumed you meant coolant. And what does 'assuming' do people? I have been burned many times from that damn word!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Start with the simple stuff, look for a puddle. Check the oil for milkyness, check the coolant for oil, put coolant in the system and smell if it's vaporizing out the exhaust.

I've currently got a VW of that vintage with a blown head gasket that's drinking coolant. It's not uncommon. What is common is warping the head from overheating, then you've got a worse problem than just missing coolant or a blown head gasket.

www.vwdov.com may have some vw specific tips.

Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts