BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, can you offer and tips, guidelines, etc... for carrying passengers on a bike? My lady is eager to climb on the back and I have never riden with a passenger before. Obviously the overall weight and feeling of the bike will change, stopping distances, gas needed off the line to get going, etc... Any tips would be great, thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
you should add some air to your tires in order for your tires to compensate...but we know how many people will do this for a 2-up ride if it's only once in a blue moon...

get used to it at slow speeds first. Also, make sure she knows HOW to be a passenger, there's a sticky post somewhere around here...

F

·
0 Posts
Definitly will notice a difference of the line...use less throttle cause front end will want to come up alot more....slower cornering ...and general common sense type stuff don't risk her skin to impress her.....does she have riding gear? Remeber its not always your driving you hhave to worry about its usually everyone elses.......I feel old now....

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I rode nearly 10,000 kilometres on my own before letting a passenger on the back. It's a shitload of fun, but a completely different experience.
Definitely add some air to your tires, and pretend your grandmother's on the back, and not some hot young babe. Definitely makes me slow down! :D

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
check the "sticky notes"

find an empty parking lot and practice some really slow speed turns.
(they need the practice as much as you)

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doug said:
get more seat time on your own. you, after all, just got your license.
Yea, thats what I was thinking as well. I am fairly comfortable on my own, but adding a passenger is a whole other ballgame.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fu manchu said:
.....does she have riding gear?
Yea, she has a Joe Rocket jacket, got a new Shoei lid last week, and a pair of gloves. I wouldnt let her on the back otherwise.

·
What's the speed of dark?
163 Posts
Tell her to relax, and to lean exactly the way the bike leans in corners. Nothing is more of a drag then when you get a pillion that wants to fight the lean (leans opposite of the bike) or moves around on the bike, upsetting the balance.
Also make sure she is ready when you start off - most new pillions aren't used to not having a back support, so when you let out the clutch, they either grab you really tight (uncomfortable, unless she's really hot!) or all of sudden you see boot heels in your peripheral vision. That being said, for any starts, do them really slowly and smoothly until she gets used to the feeling.
And brake slowly and smoothly, unless you like getting your helmet bonked from behind as her head flies into yours...

Simply - just be really smooth.

Also make up some hand signals before you go - like 2 taps on her left knee means for her to hold on 'cause you are going to be accelerating hard to pass; 2 jabs in your left side from her means she has to pee, etc...

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Easiest way to get someone to learn with you, is to tell the passenger to look over the right shoulder when the bike goes right, left shoulder for left turns. Body follows the head. :thumbup
Also, tell your passenger to shift position as little as possible when you've come to a stop. If they need to switch about a little, it's better at speed.
I found after explaining to my girlfriend exactly what noises were normal when riding, she was a lot less apprehensive.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
also let your passenger know when to get on, and when to get off. i have seen on a few occurances where the rider was not ready , and the passenger hopped on, almost dumping the bike. make sure yer passenger is also aware of how hot that exhaust pipe gets, nothing like having burnt fingers or the side of their leg. lastly make the ride a pleasurable exp. no need to impress/scare the shit out of them, who knows maybe one day they will ride themselves.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
get on and get off ONLY when u tell them to.

eb careful during slow turns and at gas stations, parking..etc....

oh.. get frame sliders first...

R

·
0 Posts
SpideRider said:
Easiest way to get someone to learn with you, is to tell the passenger to look over the right shoulder when the bike goes right, left shoulder for left turns. Body follows the head. :thumbup
wow, thanks for that piece of advice! I will definitly tell my passengers that

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SpideRider said:
...tell the passenger to look over the right shoulder when the bike goes right, left shoulder for left turns. Body follows the head.
Yea, heard that one before...but definately a good tip.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Works like a hot damn. No one forgets that one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I recently did my first 2-up ride with a newbie passenger. 1000+km in one day broke us in pretty good :D

One thing I noticed, was that I definatly didn't shift as smoothly as I thought I did. At first, whenever I shifted, I felt my passenger bob back and forth. I found that shifting when the bike was not accelerating made for much more comfortable shifts for both of us.

Use body language/sign language to communicate - Pull into the next gas station, I gotta pee!. Pull over now! Hang on tight, I'm gonna give er all she's got!
(My passenger wanted to feel as much acceleration as my bike could muster. When I leaned forward, my passenger knew my intentions and I could feel my passengers grip on my waist increase, meaning it was safer to accelerate hard.)

·
Bitey things are niceless
342 Posts
There have been a few threads on this topic. Here's one of the more recent ones with, I think, some good tips too. Read it through. Talk to her, and have her read up as well, then start with a really short trip, stop somewhere and make sure you're both alright. Build up to longer trips. It'll help you build a communication that way.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39600

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
My rules for passengers are.
1. they can look everywhere as long as it is with the head and not the body
No wiggling allowed.
2. when i lean left look over my left shoulder
3. when i lean right look over my right shoulder

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
Take it REALLY easy with passengers at first, it's going to take a bit for you to get used to having someone hangin' onto you from behind. Some hints to make things smoother (make sense of this if you can!):

1. She must look ahead and anticipate traffic and what you're going to do without being overly forceful on anything (you included)
2. NO WIGGLING or re-adjustment or pulling up the low-rise jeans
3. do what I do - this goes a long way - as in, if I look left, you look left
4. try not to smack the back of my helmet with the front of yours
5. She gets on last, gets off first
6. A note about (5) plant both feet firmly when she gets on, front brake on, in neutral
7. When slowing down or stopping, encourage her to use her hands on the tank to support her weight so your balls aren't firmly planted into the tank either from her weight or her slipping onto your seat too!
8. She may find it easier to hang on/control herself on the rear seat by squeezing your body a bit with her legs
9. If you're gonna mash the throttle for a bit of an acceleration demo, grab her arms from your sides/whereever they are, and pull them around you harder...simple illustration about what you want her to do - HANG ON
10. Take it real slow and stop frequently to begin with to check with her to make sure she's doing ok or if she needs to have a reminder about rule Number 2, do it at this time!

That's about all I can think about right now, but all in all, you'd be doing yourself and her a favour by spending some time on the bike and getting some km's under your belt before you take the woman for a ride!!

Pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts