BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Cascades Hwy Clearing starting March 23rd

13K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
#2 ·
so, if we'd didn't have to self-quarantine for 14 days afterwards, we could soon be doing gates and back...

#14 ·
Cross-border traffic/tourism is important for both countries. They'll open it the second they feel it's "safe enough" to do so. IMO they should have closed the border weeks ago, but later is better than never.

I'd bank on at least a few more months of this shit show. The more people ignore quarantine and self-distancing, the more businesses that put profit over people, the longer this will take.

Some scientists suggest a possible second, and even third "wave" of this virus later in the year, so it could be a very prolonged affair.

#15 ·
China is already seeing cases rise as people come back from holidays..
South Korea is 'now' dealing with an outbreak, and they had it 'covered'.

the models i've seen take this shitshow all the way to 'roughly' August. Which means
i dont want to ride stateside anyway. But i agree, they should have closed them earlier.

#17 · (Edited)
ahh cool, thanks! yep so thats where the numbers are coming from. i'm familiar.

Whats ridiculous is folks are trying to 'bend' the numbers to fuel their own point of
view. Meaning if there's little infectious outbreak in their immediate area, they'll
continue to brag about being immune; which can potentially throw it all off again,
leading to community spread.

#21 ·
If you could get across the line into WA.
Updated: 7:14 PM, Apr 12, 2020
SR 20 North Cascade Highway remains closed from milepost 120 at the west end of Newhalem, to milepost 177 near Early Winters Campground. Due to COVID-19 concerns and in accordance with state guidelines, we will work to reopen mountain passes as it is safe for our crews to do so. A reopening date has not yet been determined.

#31 ·
some of this is being felt in third world country as the US decided to 'deport' people in large groups. countless of 'em are now testing positive as they return to their home countries. By and large one of the 'perks' of 3rd world living if you can think of it this way, is that those in these countries do not travel abroad. Since this is not an air-borne virus, mostly diplomats n' business men/women are the only ones actually infected. Their numbers are much, much lower than the rest of the developed world.

i agree though, the whole mess stateside is being propped up by partisan politics. Trump is a
cheer-leader and he's pushing to open up 'his' economy in order to win a 2nd term. It is working, sadly.

#33 · (Edited)
its a general, and broadly used term though.. not necessarily nor specifically
tied in to the original definition. I dont think it really matter anymore.

a quick google search spits this out:

The term third wold country originally comes from the cold war and described countries which were not part of the east-west conflict. Guatemala was one of those countries.

Western World - first world
UDSSR - second world
Others - third world

fast forward to 'modern times':

the term describes countries which are not yet as adapted or developed as the industry nations. Guatemala belongs as well to those countries. Some want to argue Mexico is no longer considered one, because it has money. Mind you, drug money does not necessarily create a 'self sustainable' financial system.

Financially speaking and in terms of development Latin-America is still considered to be in the dark ages and the term 'third world' country has stuck. Above statements on why a wide spread break-out has not taken place are tied into this, as financially speaking most are not doing well enough to travel outside their own country, and since very few parts of 'developed' countries are allowing world travel, risks remain low.

As a society, the term “third world country” refers to countries with high mortality rates, especially infant mortality rates. They also have an unstable and inconsistent economy. These are countries that contain massive amounts of poverty and in some cases have fewer natural resources than other nations throughout the world. These countries often have to rely on more industrialized countries to aid them and help stabilize their economy.

These countries usually lack economic stability because of the lack of a functioning class system. Usually, the country will have an upper class and a lower class. Without a middle class to fill the gap, there is almost no way for a person to escape poverty because there is no next step for them on the economic ladder. This also allows the wealthy to control all the money in the country. This is detrimental to the economy of the country, and both increases and helps to sustain the poverty running rampant throughout the country while allowing the upper class to keep their wealth to themselves.

These countries often accrue a copious amount of debt from foreign countries because of the constant aid they need from other countries to keep their economy afloat and provide some financial stability to the citizens of the country.

The definition of a third world country has evolved from the political meaning during the Cold War to the economic meaning of today. Today’s meaning refers to countries that are in financial trouble and need help from other countries to keep their economy sustainable, at least for a short time.

#34 ·
Got an email this morning that WSDOT snow cleaning crews have been quietly clearing the North Cascades Highway to Winthrop. Should take another 2 weeks to complete. Also got an email from Hagen's of Blaine this week that starting April 27th they are open full-time. Me thinks there must be some chatter in the background that the Border Closure may be lifted or partially lifted within 2 or 3 weeks. We shall see.

Here's the press release/email...

North Cascades Highway spring clearing update

Clearing work was paused with most other maintenance and project construction in response to Governor Inslee’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” proclamation. However, this highway is more than a scenic drive as it provides valuable freight access, and is vital as an alternative emergency route in the case of natural disaster.
So, with a plan in place to ensure that this work is done with the utmost attention for COVID-19 precautions, the seasonal clearing of SR 20 North Cascades Highway restarted on April 13, 2020.

We determined it best to cancel the usual media fanfare around this work as to not to appear to invite nonessential travel. Although this may be disappointing, it is important to slow the spread of the coronavirus in every way possible. We thank you for your interest and look forward to sharing this experience with you next year.

The clearing work is expected to take about two more weeks, at which time we will update the North Cascades Highway webpage.

#35 ·
thanks for the 'on point' update.. i think we all took it upon ourselves to derail threads like this..

what can i say, much more interesting material around at the time. I already took care of my
US parts purchasing needs via customs fanfare. Swallowed the bullet n' paid freight.

this was a couple weeks ago, didnt wanna chance it on being able to pick up, but have to isolate upon
return across into Canada.. I think thats a little more expensive than USPS Int. Priority express :D

#36 ·
Got an email this morning that WSDOT snow cleaning crews have been quietly clearing the North Cascades Highway to Winthrop. Should take another 2 weeks to complete. Also got an email from Hagen's of Blaine this week that starting April 27th they are open full-time. Me thinks there must be some chatter in the background that the Border Closure may be lifted or partially lifted within 2 or 3 weeks. We shall see.

Here's the press release/email...

North Cascades Highway spring clearing update

Clearing work was paused with most other maintenance and project construction in response to Governor Inslee’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” proclamation. However, this highway is more than a scenic drive as it provides valuable freight access, and is vital as an alternative emergency route in the case of natural disaster.
So, with a plan in place to ensure that this work is done with the utmost attention for COVID-19 precautions, the seasonal clearing of SR 20 North Cascades Highway restarted on April 13, 2020.

We determined it best to cancel the usual media fanfare around this work as to not to appear to invite nonessential travel. Although this may be disappointing, it is important to slow the spread of the coronavirus in every way possible. We thank you for your interest and look forward to sharing this experience with you next year.

The clearing work is expected to take about two more weeks, at which time we will update the North Cascades Highway webpage.

I very much look forward to crossing into the USA again, with some personal restrictions. Clearly Washington State has been hit harder by this bat stew flu. For various reasons, which I will not chat about here, wrong thread. As such, I will say that if the BC/Cdn govt. will place 'isolation' restrictions on returning Canadians, I'll refrain from heading across the border. Even if it's a solitary visit 178 feet south to the fuel station to buy gas at $.51 Cdn /litre. The best back road riding in this area clearly is south of the 49th parallel. The last month of riding around here clearly has emphasizing how limited we have it here in SW BC.

#40 · (Edited)
this, accurate assumption as it is already. I'm very much certain the continued US political
shit-show has scared enough of us into submission. Dad had planned a trip to Alaska
this year, even though things up there are likely to improve quicker than most, just the idea
of riding through areas where there are no medical hospitals or test kits available was enough
to have him cancel plans. He's at home until end of July, period.

Its not that US residents cant control themselves, but they cant control themselves.. ;)

#46 ·
guess we have a bit of an update on travel. They're increasing screening for Canadians coming back
from travel, mostly aimed at airports of course but they did mention border crossings as well.

we will be met with 14 day restrictions, they'll be asking where you plan to isolate yourself, what plans
you have to support yourself and who's gonna get your groceries, etc. They're following up with
folks via phone and if you should not answer, an officer will be knocking on your door until they find you.

yikes! yeh, no US riding for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.