41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,207 Posts

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,263 Posts
Stay home, we're closed.
Will be camping in the Kootenays next weekend. I'll share pics just for you :)

PS. Don't you think your avatar of "I am not a mouse, I will not conform... Fuck authority, I don't care" is contradictory to your "stay home" message? Calling DNASpark to lay down some proper Anarchism!

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
guess we have a bit of an update on travel. They're increasing screening for Canadians coming back
from travel, mostly aimed at airports of course but they did mention border crossings as well.

we will be met with 14 day restrictions, they'll be asking where you plan to isolate yourself, what plans
you have to support yourself and who's gonna get your groceries, etc. They're following up with
folks via phone and if you should not answer, an officer will be knocking on your door until they find you.

yikes! yeh, no US riding for me.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
May be a busier riding season in the Kootenays this year!
yup! my thoughts too. Kaslo to New Denver is till tops... and Hwy 6 Vernon to the Fauquier ferry is right up there too. etc! your backyard, Squisher!

need the motels and restaurants open too, of course.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also check with your provider if you have a work benefit package that normally covers travel abroad as many have instituted a covid clause and won't cover you right now.

Yah I'm expecting my backyard (Hwy 6 Vernon to Edgewood) to be mighty popular this year seen a bunch of bikes heading out that way already, pretty certain it snowed on the monashee pass last night. Early season still.

·
2,207 Posts
LOLOL, stay away forever, see how long your economy lasts! Not very long I assure you.
LOL there hasn't been an economy here since the mid 90's. Tourism brings in some $$ but it's certainly not the be all, end all for this area.

Will be camping in the Kootenays next weekend. I'll share pics just for you :)

PS. Don't you think your avatar of "I am not a mouse, I will not conform... Fuck authority, I don't care" is contradictory to your "stay home" message? Calling DNASpark to lay down some proper Anarchism!
Sarcasm, so hard to convey through text.

Look forward to your pics of a private campground? Nothing else is open as well all know. CO's are patrolling the accessible forest roads just like any year but maybe with a bit more scrutiny.

I am not a mouse. I will not conform but I have enough friends in healthcare here in Canada and the US that I'm going to err on the side of caution for the good of my family.

Fuck authority, I don't care - But you all can stay down on the coast, no need to possibly drag god knows what across BC and into this area.

British Columbia COVID-19 Dashboard

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
LOL there hasn't been an economy here since the mid 90's. Tourism brings in some $$ but it's certainly not the be all, end all for this area.

Sarcasm, so hard to convey through text.

Look forward to your pics of a private campground? Nothing else is open as well all know. CO's are patrolling the accessible forest roads just like any year but maybe with a bit more scrutiny.

I am not a mouse. I will not conform but I have enough friends in healthcare here in Canada and the US that I'm going to err on the side of caution for the good of my family.

Fuck authority, I don't care - But you all can stay down on the coast, no need to possibly drag god knows what across BC and into this area.

British Columbia COVID-19 Dashboard
My comment was meant to specifically point out that, yes, there is NO economy in the Kootenays other than tourism. And welfare income. And retirement pension income.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Also check with your provider if you have a work benefit package that normally covers travel abroad as many have instituted a covid clause and won't cover you right now.
good point, i will have to check with the office.. we have travel insurance through our extended health.

·
Posing with conviction
5,384 Posts
For what it is worth, Highway 20 through the Cascades opened for travel this morning...

"Last Update: 10:15 a.m., May 12, 2020: Open
State Route 20 North Cascades Highway has been cleared and is open for travel as of May 12. This route provides vital alternative access in this area that is critical in case of natural disaster, such as forest fires, and supports freight movement, particularly timber haul."

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
For what it is worth, Highway 20 through the Cascades opened for travel this morning...

"Last Update: 10:15 a.m., May 12, 2020: Open
State Route 20 North Cascades Highway has been cleared and is open for travel as of May 12. This route provides vital alternative access in this area that is critical in case of natural disaster, such as forest fires, and supports freight movement, particularly timber haul."

Local WA riders will have it great, no camping traffic and no Canadians to contend with on 20 right now, lucky.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Travel insurance will be an issue this year as well.

I wouldn't ride in the states without it, and right now I don't know when they'll cover trips again.

Probably stay in Canada this year for road trips unless the situation improves significantly.
Very good point. I am certain that Canadian and travel medical insurance providers around the globe
will be revising policies. I'm pretty sure they already have exclusions for travel to destinations with health
advisories or something to that effect. They aren't going to take on liability that you go for a road trip
and end up hospitalized at huge expense for something that is already known as a major risk.

Travel has changed big time and it's highly unlikely that anything change that even in 2021. Sure you
might have the physical ability to go over the border at some point, but not having insurance would
just be a potential financial catastrophe.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Tugo has actually extended all policies by 3 months. They have not made any amendments to their policies, and that would be almost impossible to legally do on existing contracts.

·
2,207 Posts
My comment was meant to specifically point out that, yes, there is NO economy in the Kootenays other than tourism. And welfare income. And retirement pension income.
We have no more welfare here than anywhere BC. Again, more retiree income supporting the economy in the Okanagan than the Koots hands down.

Growing up the son of a logger we were tuned into the lumber industry and it was sad to see it taken apart one log at a time through the '90's. Skip ahead 20-30yrs and now we have a very diverse & thriving economy; everything from mom & Pop small business', engineering & design of every flavour with some doing ground breaking work around the world, big industry and all the supporting business' in-between.

I was born here, moved away for almost 20yrs and had an opportunity to come home 8yrs ago with a wicked job that pays more then it did on the coast! I'll defend this place until I die.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Tugo has actually extended all policies by 3 months. They have not made any amendments to their policies, and that would be almost impossible to legally do on existing contracts.
I'm no expert on insurance underwriting, but I will say that if any industry can write it's own policy - it's insurance companies.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I'm no expert on insurance underwriting, but I will say that if any industry can write it's own policy - it's insurance companies.
had the same conversation with my boss today.. we have extended benefits / travel insurance.

we both doubt coronavirus would be covered, considering the continued
health advisory 'not' to travel. That should be pretty damn obvious.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
They definitely can and do, and you will be surprised by some of the clauses that exist by default. There may even be an existing pandemic clause in your plan. However, they can not change whats covered by an existing plan.

note, i'm also sitting about 20ft from one of the former heads of TuGo... :)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts