BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
knees please
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cleaning the carburetor on my F2. There were lots of gummy greens. Now cleaning out the main jets was easy. It's the pilot jets that I'm kind of stumped about. I'm pretty sure I should be able to look right down the jet and see light at the other end, a nice clean cylinder. Thing is there's only black, and when I put my piece of light gauge tie wire and do a few pokey pokies, I can't poke through, even after they've soaked for a few days. Are the pilot jets so different than the main jets? The Clymer rebuild manual isn't providing these specifics.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
You didn't say what you were soaking them in, but try using seafoam. It's great for what you are doing. If you have access to compressed air (like a buddy with a shop) it's nice to have that to blow them out.

If the seafoam and compressed air doesn't work, I would take all the jets and carb bodies to a bike shop with an ultrasonic cleaner and just pay for the use of it.

·
knees please
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two soaking in gas, and one soaking in carb cleaner from the motomaster spray can. Probably not the toughest solvents but their in the same shape.

If someone has pulled a carb from their F2 race bike and it's in decent condition I wouldn't mind the opportunity to buy it if the seals and gaskets are in decent shape. Turns out carb cleaner will make a rubber seal swell real bad when left soaking overnight (no duh). And I'm looking for someone in Abbotsford with an ultrasonic cleaner... there's gotta be a shop with one somewheres...

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Poking pilot jets with a steel wire isn't recommended.
Yes, you should be able to see through them.
I'm not saying no to Seafoam, but I know for sure that 'Honda' brand carb cleaner will get them clean. And it won't harm the seals in the carbs, which won't work unless you get the rest of that gunk out of all the little passageways. So, put the jets in the cap and spray them (watch your eyes, and do it outside), and then blast the carbs with it. Clean with clean solvent, check passageways with your air nozzle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts