BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS I was pulling out of my driveway today, I heard a "loud bang" from my bike. It was followed by a "loud constant vibrating sound"I pulled it back into my garage and too a look at what it was and I saw on of the spark plug covers come undone. The loud shaking sound was the spark plug connected to the spark plug cover shaking around in the cylinder. The Spark plug along with the spark plug cover had "popped" off.

I took out the SP cover completely from the cylinder along with the spark plug. It looked a bit fried.

Im going to replace that spark plug tomorrow cuz none of the shops are open today and see if the fixes the problem. I wil lalso take it into the shop, most likely Motorcycle World cuz its the closest, to have them take a look at it.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Adam told me that it has happened to him before and he was still able to ride but then the engine seized and he ended up having to get the engine rebuilt.

Does anyone have any idea waht may have caused this?

BMatthews? I know youre particularly knowledgeable in F2's... any advice?

Well, any help would be great guys.

Thanks. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cut back the leed acouple millimetrs,push backon with a twist if it has a rubber boot on it put a zip tie on it tight if possible,this happens on old cb models ive done as well.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
That would have scared the beejeeses out of me! :) I never had a sound like that emit from my F2, but I only had that bike for about 8 months.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man, changing the aprk plug is a real hard task.

i can seem to get the right angle on the plug.

BOMAX: what do u mean by putitng a zip tie on it??..... where?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry man id have to see it to show,i had a similar problem on a 89 600 hurricane ,thats if wre on the same wave length,just need the right tool a little flexy plug puller,carefull putting it in if it falls down there it may squish the gap closed! uce a piece of rubber line to start the thread,put it on the plug and use it to start it.:D

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
JUST A MINUTE HERE........

CB, are you saying that the actual white and steel plug and the plug wire boot were rattling around loose in the recess in the head????

There is no way in hell that the sparkplug can pop out like that without the plug threads being stripped. And I know you DON'T want to hear THAT.

So please clarify. If this was accurate then it sure sounds like you're looking at some head work to put in a helicoil.

I hate to say it but if you can't seem to get the new plug to thread into the hole then this is sounding more like the problem. Sounds like someone has been overtorqueing the plugs at some point.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I actually tore the thread off one of my sparkplugs while installing it not too long ago....had to get the bike towed to BK and lucky it came out quick.....they used a reverse screw, hooked up to a drill and then took it out.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea him having a hard time putting the plug back in. its almost as though the thread is stripped, as u said BMatthews. im bringing it into Imperial today and getting them to take a look at it.

What is a helicoil??.... is that sort of a replacement for the thread so that the plug will stay in?

How much will work like that run me? :confused :(

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Human, what happened to you is way different than what we're talking about here.

CB', The helicoil PARTS are cheap. Maybe $5 or 6. But to put it in is a "remove the head" job. So it's gonna be something like $300 to $400 I suspect. We're talking about a full days work for a trained mechanic here.

Sparkplugs only require about 12 ft-lbs of torque. In real terms this is like 4/5 of F*^$all. One finger on the ratchet can do this quite easily. And since most bike heads have the threads cut straight into the aluminium they aren't too tolerant of over torquing.

And FWIW I always use a little copper based high temp anitseize on my sparkplug threads. Steel and aluminium don't really like each other and it's easy to get some electrolysis going and have the parts lock themselves together.

I had this happen with my old Seca after it sat for 3 years and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a factor in Human's little spark plug saga. The corrosion thing that is....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GOD DAMM!!... well, im willing ot take that hit then. My bike's worth it. Id rather pay that than buy a completely ew bike for 50 times that cost.

Thanks BMatthews. You are my newest CBR 600 F2 Guru... thanks a lot for the advice. I learn something new from you everyday. :D Im taking it into Imperial tonight with the help of CrazyGuy (Reece)... I'll see if Ted & Gord will be able to help me out... Im sure they will be more than able to.

:rider

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
This kind of work is right up their alley. And I hope for your sake I'm wrong but from what you've posted the facts sure fit.

Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear that its something they can handle. I talked to Ted at lunch and he sounded like he knew waht i was talking about within 10 seconds of our conversation.

:D

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Don't worry man easy task and most likely they won't even have to pull the head, I'm an auto mechanic by trade and wrench on bikes for kicks. With ALOT of CARE you can install a helicoil with the head installed but you have to be very diligent with keeping the metal chips out of the engine. My old single cylinder dual purpose blew the plug out many moons ago and it's on it's third owner since me with no probles so don't sweat it.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I have heard you can also stuff the cylinder with some cloth, do your work and then get a powerful vacuum and suck up everything, pour some oil and then pull the cloth out....oil to make sure any remaining debris get stuck to the cloth.....

·
high side racing
221 Posts
yep I modified a straw out of a drink bottle to work with my shop vac (lots of duct tape) so I could suck out the cylinder when I was done, also try and get the piston close to tdc before starting to drill so the debris stays a little more contained

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
This all presupposes that you have the skills, tools and patience to do this.

I did something similar with the broken plug threads locked into my head on the Seca but that was air cooled and I could actually get tools down in there as the cylinder in question was out past the edge of the frame with that older design.

In the case of the F2 the engine MUST come out of the frame so that you can work down in the sparkplug hole. Then you would need to somehow stuff enough rag down the 4 inch long spark plug recess and through the hole for the threads. Then you have to drill it with the pre threading drill without having the end catch on the rags and strip the whole thing up before you thread it with the helicoil tap and insert the coil.

And now for the Coup' de Grace. You need to somehow get WAAAAYYYYY down in there and cut off the little tang on the helicoil........

Sorry guys but this is just a whole lot easier and more certain if the head comes off.

Unless you have a lot of time building ships in bottles that is.....

·
high side racing
221 Posts
K haven't been in that far into my cbr yet and by the sounds of it I hope I don't have to. As a side note I have a helicoil that doesn't have the tang at the end, it is specifically designed for sparkplug thread repairs couldn't tell where I got it from but when I am at work next I'll try and find out who makes it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts