BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

CC's...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Lugan 
#1 ·
What is the power difference with cc's? For example, how much more powerful is a 700cc bike than a 600cc bike?

#2 ·
it all depends on more than just the CCs dude.... engine config, how many cylinders, etc etc etc.... the more efficient everything is working together, more power is made....

but for comparison sakes, the current crop of suzuki gsxr's...

the 600cc makes 100-103 HP at the wheel
the 750cc makes 120-125 HP at the wheel
the 1000cc makes 140-145 HP at the wheel

but then you have the ZX7r which is 750cc and it's only make 110-115 HP, but that bike design has been unchanged since 1996.

600cc bikes of today make more power than 1000cc bikes of 15 years ago.... just to show how much more efficient and more advanced bikes are today....

#7 ·
You mean inline 4 or V-twin. Any bike with the V engine design is a twin. And any bike with cylinders all in a row is an inline.
There are such things as V-fours! Yamaha V-max. VFR 400-800. The engines characteristics are wicked...great mix of midrange while still maintaining the top end kick. Sounds like a small block v8 when one passes you by.

gurgle gurgle gurgle:rider

#8 ·
Sewman said:

There are such things as V-fours! Yamaha V-max. VFR 400-800. The engines characteristics are wicked...great mix of midrange while still maintaining the top end kick. Sounds like a small block v8 when one passes you by.

gurgle gurgle gurgle:rider
yep V4s (ie 500gp bikes) have been stated to have the best of both worlds

also dont forget these engine combos

inline 3 (aprillia GP)
V5 (honda GP)

some wacky stuff out there

#12 ·
BMW's boxer engine is a pretty cool design, I really like the lateral kick it gives you when you gun the throttle. and don't forget the best Triple made by triumph. the new engine is 148hp at the crank about 136 at the back wheel, but it gets 300km to a tank of gas. I know I had one. :) only problem is that the 136 on the dyno felt like 36 on the road, kind of sluggish.

back to the topic of power, cc's aren't everything, power to weight is very important, take a gixxer or R1 160hp to sub 400 lb bikes, make for very quick rides.

Best engine sound definatly goes to the Triple, they make an awesome howling sound.

#13 ·
Another factor not to be forgotten is WHERE a given motor makes power. In the context of my own ride, the Vmax, it's V4 1198cc plant produces a relatively low hp figure (~145@crank), but makes a sh$t load of torque throughout the powerband (~87pounds 7500rpm). Even though a lot of these 600cc bikes are close to or above the hp level of my beast, they do so at very high rpm only, and lack torque. The old saying survives "there's no replacement for displacement", and I definitely subscribe to this camp. What this equates to on the street (forget statistical analysis) is acceleration in any gear where a lot of the low cc, high hp bikes need to be revved the hell out of to see the claimed hp levels. What I'm getting at here (if you're looking to buy a bike), is you want something you're going to be happy riding on a daily level, with a broad enough powerband that you're not constantly looking for the "right" gear. IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.