BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare CCT. Since I work in a machine shop, I have access to accurate drilling machines. I'm wondering if I can drill and tap the oem, hydraulically actuated CCT, put in an adjuster bolt and make it a manual CCT. This bike is pretty old and I'm not prepared to dissect it just to change the chain. Besides, it would probably cut into my riding time on the RR seeing as I'd do it when the weather was warmer.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked at holeshot and they don't have them and can't even order them. Is there anyone else i should try?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Use the stocker as a guide for the bolt pattern and plunger location. Drill the three holes and tap the center one in a bit of 3/8 plate aluminium. Add a long carraige bolt and locknut and you got a manual adjuster.

I made one for my DR350 because I discovered on a Friday that the old one was busted. It had been welded by the previous owner but had cracke again on me at the weld and was useless. And there was a ride on the Sunday I wanted to go on so it was improvise or stay home. I'm happy to report that the new one took me all of two hours to make. That included the drive to Home Despot to get the carraige bolt and locknut and cut the new gasket from some file folder card stock. If you got a metal shop at hand and know how to run the drill press and a hand tap you too can have a new CCT in about the same amount of time.

The tolerance on the hole centers was not that big a deal either. I more or less compared the holes in the cylinder block to the actual part and plunger foot and found that it isn't high tolerance stuff at all. Just be sure to watch out for the plunger center. On mine the foot was actually centered between the bolts but the rack and spring is offset. This is quite common but if you look at the foot and the mounting holes I think that you'll find the F2 one has all the holes and foot in line too.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have easy access to a drill press and taps. I want to know if I can make one out of my old CCT shown here.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
It's hard to say from here but you may be able to fake it with this one. Pull it apart and remove the spring and rack pawl but keep the plunger. At the end drill and tap for a 1/4-28 fine pitch thread. I'm suggestint the fine pitch in this case as it does not look like there's much metal there and a fine pitch holds best in thinner metal. If the insides of the tit on the left side will take a 1/4-20 for a good 1/4 inch then fine. If you need to go down to something like 10-32 if the 1/4 is too large. Use the bolt at whatever size to run in and push on the stock plunger and add a lock nut. Voila, yer done.

S

·
0 Posts
i would read the above post by teetee but i'm far too drunk to focus on all that writing. i've made a few manual ones outta stock ones no problem. if you look at an APE one it's a very basic design. without going into "teetee" detail, you being a machinist and all should be able to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Geez Joe, it was one of my shorter ones too! You must'a been REALLY hammered... Looked just like your avatar did ya? ..... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts