BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like many of you I've got to goto court to fight my speeding ticket... and I have a few questions to those that have applied to have the court date adjourned, using the Application to Adjourn a Hearing form PTR 818. What excuse did you use(word for word would be nice)? Did it work? How long before said court date did you apply for the change? Any suggestions???

THANK YOU...
from a fellow junkie.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Adjourn it the day of court to give yourself every chance to find yourself before the judge with no cop present. Your excuse should be that your witness could not make it that day.

If you do it the paperwork way the judge may not grant you an adjournment next time, when the cop is there.

G

·
Well like many of you I've got to goto court to fight my speeding ticket... and I have a few questions to those that have applied to have the court date adjourned, using the Application to Adjourn a Hearing form PTR 818. What excuse did you use(word for word would be nice)? Did it work? How long before said court date did you apply for the change? Any suggestions???

THANK YOU...
from a fellow junkie.
Junkie huh? Crack, Coke, Rocks, White-Powder, Heroin... cmon.. which one is it? I myself love a little bit of rock and coke... but that's just me :p

·
(newbie)
333 Posts
i just go into the court house, the main administration area. Showed them my court date paper and ask to have it changed, as I have a midterm or final exam on that day. It will take another few months to get the new court date and then it will be a few month away from the time u receive the new court date. Its a great way to space out your points to avoid your license being taken away...haha....done it 5 or 6 times.....any work type excuse will work as well. Also waiting until a week or so before the original court date will extend it that much more....I think all and all i extended getting points for a ticket to almost a year later

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Don't use the "I can't get time off work" excuse. A friend of mine did that, they replied "well son, everyone works...the date booked will stand."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any suggestions other than 'going to a midterm'?
I'm not registered at dougy daycare anymore so.....

Thx

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
CopCatcher suggested that you tell them your "witness" can't make the court date. Sounds like a good one to me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
or just send a friend in on your behalf, once its your turn he can adjourn it for you if the cop is there, and if he is not there he can dispute it for you, then you automatically get off, so its just like 2 free chances instead of just one.

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
or just send a friend in on your behalf, once its your turn he can adjourn it for you...
Have you seen this work? Seems to me he'd be sending an agent which the judge might consider an appearance. I know the judge would at least ask if the defendant has sent along a written statement (affidavit). I suppose the agent could say, "No. He only instructed me to ask for an adjournment on the grounds that <blah, blah>"

·
Banned
569 Posts
nope, sending a friend works well too! He'll always get the adjounment, but make sure he pleads not guilty and gets u off if the cop is a no show!

G

·
Who has used the sending a friend methood? I need to rebook my date. And if the cop dont show can my friends plea of not guilty for me work?

Who has done this?

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
I've seen this done, but they usually plea guilty with an explanation, not ask for an adjournment. Once your friend is in court, he is no longer your "friend", but your agent and can act on your behalf just like a lawyer. Cop Catcher has a good idea so long as your friend knows the situation well and can argue on point... or at least better than you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i have used the friend method numerous times, and ALWAYS works, generally they will only let you adjourn once.

once your turn gets called you either (a) ask for an adjournment because your friend is out of the country for a funeral and really couldnt make it or (b) plead not guilty because the cop did not show up.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
i just go into the court house, the main administration area. Showed them my court date paper and ask to have it changed, as I have a midterm or final exam on that day. It will take another few months to get the new court date and then it will be a few month away from the time u receive the new court date. Its a great way to space out your points to avoid your license being taken away...haha....done it 5 or 6 times.....any work type excuse will work as well. Also waiting until a week or so before the original court date will extend it that much more....I think all and all i extended getting points for a ticket to almost a year later
That's so much faster than writing and mailing b/c you know the result right away! I have one coming up soon. When do you usually ask for an adjournment? How much notice do they need?

·
Registered
844 Posts
you dont mail in your adjournment, thats dumb because then you dont get two chances for the cop to not show up, and usually thats whats gonna win the case is the cop not being there.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Your excuse should be that your witness could not make it that day.
Do you need to subpoena the witness first? Because If you do not subpoena a witness and the witness does not appear at the hearing, you may be required to present your side of the case without that witness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts