BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to change your headlight bulbs? to xenon or whatever extra white bulb?

I talk to someone who changed their bulb on their gixxer and they said a cop gave him a warning, and that he had to change their headlights back to the stock bulb. But the guys at Burnaby kawasaki said the bulbs are DOT legal so they shouldn't give you a ticket. As long as there isn't any color in the bulb ie. blue or red.

Does anyone know what is actually allowed with regards to changing your headlights?

Thanks for your input!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
stories are a dime a dozen on whats legal and whats not. i have one yellow and one white for my lights. dunno if its illegal, don't care.

your best bet is to call the dmv and ask them.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Not really helping you legal / not legal debate. I watched a news special on the new Xenon headlights found in most European cars (and making it way into the main market). This 'blue light' bulb has apparently been annoying quite a few people because they have EYE problems, not because they're actually any brighter or have any difference in how they are perceived. People just pick up on the blue light slightly differently.

For that reason alone I don't see any reason why it should be illegal to have them.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I have the blue tinted Xenons, and they work a lot better than the stock ones, but not as well as the whites. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
One thing to consider.. these bulbs come in stock wattages (50/65W) or high wattage (90/100W)

The High wattage are not DOT approved.

Jim.

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
I asked 5.0 about this a little while back - the MVA is specific that front headlights must be non-colored. I asked about yellow tint, noting the use of yellow in marker lights, and the same answer as for blue: no. It's a question of discretion, so be aware of your surroundings.
I've used a Piaa "super white" 80/80 for a while with no problems - these have a slight purple tint to the glass resulting in a white not blue light.
As for the Blues I recently read somewhere that these function by filtering out the other color spectrums of light to only let the blue pass. Unfortunalty for fans of the blue light, it was determined that any "gain" with these bulbs was purely psychological, unless you go to higher wattage. Worse, it was proposed that the blue light has the "shortest" wave lengths (or something), which results in less reflected light = less light for you. Despite this, I do believe that seperate from the loss of our visibility, other's visibility of us IS improved. If you're going to get new bulbs, go to a regular auto parts store and look in their catalogues for H4 bulbs. Look for something above the stock wattage if you want any real improvement in lighting. On stock wiring, I believe you can safely use 80 watt bulbs; I've used 100 for a little while with no ill effects.
:eek

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
just change your headlights dude.
if the cops hassle you just tell them the bikes come stock like that, i doubt they'll know the difference anyway.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my buddie rode his bike like this, so do what looks best.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed, MVA approved pretty much means stock. But I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for bright/blue lights on a motorcycle. They're more often then not just give a warning. They're too hyped up over the street racing thing to worry about motorcycles right now. Another topic for another time that I'm sure would have a lot of negative responses.

:rider

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jamie A said:
my buddie rode his bike like this, so do what looks best.
that upper now sits in my bedroom. a fog light isn't the way to go for a headlight. looks cool, and got a lot of compliments, but just oh so wrong.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
go ahead and do it as long as it is a white light you shouldn't have a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts