BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
Kinda feel dumb asking this question for my first post on this site. I have been coming on this site for a few days now ever since R6Rider told me about it on Robson. (Thanks R6Rider) Now I am very mecahinicly inclined when it comes to cars, but just want to check I am doing things right with my bike. (Just in case) Anyays get to the point right???

Is there anything I should know about doing an oil change? Is it as simple as if I was doing it on a car? And is there different wheights I should be considering for different situations? (I.E. Hottier weather) Any recomended brands? And how often should I be changing the oil.

Oh ya how do I get a picture on when I post like everyone eles has?

Thanks

P.S This site rocks!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Well, the manual should list what kinds of oil to use for different temperatures and as well as the intervals for changing the oil and filter. I run Motul semi-synthetic oil in my bike. 10w40 is what is recommend for my gixxer for all year as well as most other bikes, but i'll probably switch to 15w50 for my next oil change which i'll be doing next month.

Note much to doing a oil change, just drain oil, and replace. But make sure to warm up the engine before you drain the oil and replace it. Changing the oil filter requires a bit more time, you'll need to pull off your side panel to get at the filter to replace it. But it's not hard.

as for the picture, goto your user control panel (USER CP) button at the top right of the site, and go through your options, you can upload a avatar from your computer, but it has to meet the required resolutions and file size, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's listed in the menus.

also, :flip welcome to the site :flip

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CG,..

Hey man where are you finding the 10w40 synth, or semi-synth i have been looking high and low and the only one close to that in synth is catrol 5w40 which seems kinda thin.. none of the stores ive been hitting up (Lordco, Crappy tire, Wallmart) seem to sell 10w40 in a synthetic...

oh and btw

:flip welcome to the board dafnip! :flip

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DK...i had the same problem finding 10w 40 semi-synth until i finally broke down and went to a bike shop where i got raped on the price but at least i found it....where DO you get it CG??

dafnip :flip welcome:flip

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Guys,

Remember to use an oil designed for motorcycles. Our trannies (and wet clutches) use the engine oil as well.

You can pick up the oil at any bike shop. I only use Motul as well. $35 for 4 litres, but well worth it.

Jim.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly what jim said. I use motul all the time, if I'm in a pinch, I've used honda oil on occasion. don't cheap out on the oil and filter. stay away from a fram filter as well, no matter what the shop guy will tell you. I wish I had the link, but there was a huge online article comparing the different brands of oil filters and fram was bottom of the list. stick with oem if possible. otherwise, I think K&N makes a good one now. it even has a nut on the end to make getting the proper tourque on the filter easier.

dafnip, you would do well to pick up a service manual for your bike. go check out north shore suzuki (they're also a yamaha dealer) and check in the parts dept. upstairs. they have a bunch of clymer manuals for about $50. if they don't have the one for your bike, they'll order it. it's very useful for checking the tourqe specs for your bike. you'll save money not taking the bike to your dealer for regular maintenance too. change your oil often!

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
As far as the actual filter change is concerned, it is just like a car. Make sure the rubber O ring from the old filter is removed, dip your finger in oil and rub it on the new filter's O ring, then tighten it with your hands like you would on a car. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are awsome, thanks for the advice. I wonder if there are shop manuals on line??? I will check it out and let you guys know if i find a site.

Dafnip

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cheapest pace i have found Clymer shop manuals in on Lycos,.. do a search for clymer and it takes you to a discount book site,.. you save about 8 bux from the price at Burnaby Kawasaki..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get the right filter tool from Yamaha

Taking oil filters off sure is a b*tch. When I had my R6 I used to curse at the damn thing because of the fact that there's no room around the filter to grab it. My R1 is even more of a pain in the ass because the filter is behind the exhaust manifold. @#%#$

Regardless, I haven't changed the oil on a lot of bikes but it's pretty much a necessity to have the right filter tool. I bought one from Candian tire which seemed to fit fine on the end of the filter but it was made of a delrin/nylon and just stretched and spun on the filter when I tried to take it off. That was a waste of 5 bucks. Get a metal one if you can. Oh and it's a hell of alot easier when you've got a race stand.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
motul

hey guys i have some motul 3100 15/50 lst years,its now 5100 but exactly the same as told from the rep.its semi synthetic,i have 4 4l jugs left.30.00 cash each no tax.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you guys change the filter everytime you change your oil? The manual says that filter change intervals are further apart than oil change. But then I remember someone saying that the oil filter should be changed each time with the oil. Is that true?

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
AlphaRed said:
Do you guys change the filter everytime you change your oil? The manual says that filter change intervals are further apart than oil change. But then I remember someone saying that the oil filter should be changed each time with the oil. Is that true?
I was taught to change the filter everytime you change the oil. It's not a whole lot of extra work.

If you leave the old filter on the bike, it holds some of the old oil in it. So replacing the old filter will let you put in more of the fresh, new oil.

Filters are cheap (though pay the extra dollars for OEM; stay away from Fram, etc.). Replace oil and filter at the same time.

Changing your oil on a regular basis is one of the most important things you can do to keep your motor happy. Why not treat it to a new filter too? :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just got myself 4L of Motul 5100 and an oil filter from Imperial for $50. 20 minutes to do the change and now what a difference it makes on the bike! It revs smoother without hesistation!

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
AlphaRed said:
Just got myself 4L of Motul 5100 and an oil filter from Imperial for $50. 20 minutes to do the change and now what a difference it makes on the bike! It revs smoother without hesistation!
When was the last time you changed the oil?

·
Registered
193 Posts
gordopolis said:

When was the last time you changed the oil?
Last time oil was changed was April 2001, so around a year ago. And the bike hasn't been riden since last October. I was surprise that there was a noticable difference with just the oil.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
AlphaRed said:

Last time oil was changed was April 2001, so around a year ago. And the bike hasn't been riden since last October. I was surprise that there was a noticable difference with just the oil.
That's what I was thinking! But maybe if it's been sitting for a while, never running, ...

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
AlphaRed said:

Ouch man, that's REALY hard on the bike, regardless of kilometers ridden. The oil is easily contaminated, and when it sits that long it becomes acidic, not to mention packed full of impuraties and garbage that damages the internals. At a minimum before putting it away for storage, change the oil with car oil and a cheap fram filter: at least it's fresh to protect the metal, then dump it before riding season again. As for filters and recomendations to change it every "other" change, this is no different than Honda's "new" 5W20 car oil that is only intended to offer better fuel economy.... there's a vested interest in your bike lasting, but only so long; they want you to buy new bikes as frequently as possible, but if you want your bike to really last, always change the filter at every oil change. Relatively cheap filters that are very good quality are Purolator and AC Delco (yes they do make bike filters). Never use fram unless it's in the context mentioned above.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lugan said:

Ouch man, that's REALY hard on the bike, regardless of kilometers ridden. The oil is easily contaminated, and when it sits that long it becomes acidic, not to mention packed full of impuraties and garbage that damages the internals. At a minimum before putting it away for storage, change the oil with car oil and a cheap fram filter: at least it's fresh to protect the metal, then dump it before riding season again. As for filters and recomendations to change it every "other" change, this is no different than Honda's "new" 5W20 car oil that is only intended to offer better fuel economy.... there's a vested interest in your bike lasting, but only so long; they want you to buy new bikes as frequently as possible, but if you want your bike to really last, always change the filter at every oil change. Relatively cheap filters that are very good quality are Purolator and AC Delco (yes they do make bike filters). Never use fram unless it's in the context mentioned above.
Thanks for the info. The old oil actually doesn't look all that dirty, but I guess the change in viscosity overtime has really changed the feel of the engine. I just got the bike so it's not like I could have done anything about it earlier. Since the last change, there has been less than 2000km on it. But I think sitting around for 5 months over winter didn't do the oil any good. I don't think very many people actually change their oil before winter, but I could be wrong. Regardless, there is now fresh Motul semi-synthetic in the engine and I plan to keep it fresh. And yes, I will remember to do the filter everytime. Didn't know it was so easy to change the filter on my new bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts