BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to remove the battery from the bike to charge it or can you just open the seat up and attach the trickle charger?

My Suzuki manual explains how to remove the seat to get the fuel tank off and tells me about the battery and the voltage etc. but not how to charge or remove it from the bike.

:rtfm

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't think you have to remove it, but I would disconnect all the other cables to the battery while it's being charged. But then again, I'm certainly no mechanic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrrmmmm that didn't help =p but thanks for the effort... I am still as unsure as I was 2 minutes ago

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Attach charger as per usual without removing battery, just be careful to not touch any metallic bike parts with the contacts, you dont have to disconnect anything.

·
Registered
622 Posts
haha. Well I don't think it matters where you charge the battery...but I'm just not sure if it is okay to leave all the cables attached while you are charging it.

Anyone else wanna take a crack at this question?

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
I've left terminals attached for 8 months with a trickle on my bike with no probs. It was a automatic one though so it wouldnt overcharge.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
charged my bike up last night.

There are 2 settings on the charger though. 2A automatic and 10A automatic. Says that the 2A is for small batts and 10A is for large batts.

I tried to charge my batt on 2A but it says full. Charged with 10A and apparently, it over charged a bit.....

My electronic experience says that it shouldn't matter too much... but it did...

·
Rock bottom here I come
1,021 Posts
You can charge your battery while it's still in the bike and still connected. Ensure that you don't let one of the charging cables short against the frame or other wire. You want to use a low amperage charger. You want to check on it frequently if you do not have a charger that will maintain a float charge. If you bought a cheap charger or one that is not specific to a motorcycle charger then assume that your's will not maintain a float charge and don't go more than a day without inspecting or removing it from the charger.

·
OSMG member
35 Posts
There is no problem charging the batt while it's still connected, but if you're storing the bike for winter, i find it easier just to take out the battery and leave it in the corner of my room to charge.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Whiskey said:
i find it easier just to take out the battery and leave it in the corner of my room to charge.
By this you don't mean in the house do you? Especially not in you bedroom?!!?
A charging battery's 'offgasses' include hydrogen; they are toxic and flamable. Having this near ANY source of flame or spark could cause a fire. A fan, heater, etc... All bad.

·
More than meets the eye
1,327 Posts
kanelupis said:
charged my bike up last night.

There are 2 settings on the charger though. 2A automatic and 10A automatic. Says that the 2A is for small batts and 10A is for large batts.

I tried to charge my batt on 2A but it says full. Charged with 10A and apparently, it over charged a bit.....

My electronic experience says that it shouldn't matter too much... but it did...
To keep it simple, you should be using no more than 900 ma (0.9A) to charge a motorcycle battery, 10A is way to much for a little motorcycle battery to handle.

And technically you shouldn't be charging your battery still in the bike, it should be out and in a well ventilated area... but hardly anyone ever does that.. I never have.

S

·
0 Posts
Hah, my battery is in my room by my computer, lol... I been meaning to move it, but really have nowhere else in my house, and no garage. gah...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts