BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
heheh the "I'll get one if you get one" problem. Yeah I guess it would be a problem if you were the only one with one. I'd be interested as I know we always seem to loose a couple riders on our outings :)

-arai-

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Well someone's gotta start it. :D

Apparently Jim & I *MAY* get samples to try out. I'd really like to try it before I buy it seeing as they are fairly pricey. If they perform as well as I hope (which isn't too high), then I'm in.

I'll probably buy 2 if my wife gets her license this year though - I'm sure she'd love to have one.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may have to hold out until later this season....the gear purchase hurt abit. Can we get a group purchase later through Carter?

·
Registered
634 Posts
haha not suprised with the price of those vansons. Isn't that what you ended up ordering?

-arai-

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
arai said:
haha not suprised with the price of those vansons. Isn't that what you ended up ordering?

-arai-
yup.....into it for just over 2k now:( . Atleast their standard black and will last for years to come:) regardless of which which bike I have.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
whoa..200 usd + shipping + duty... it's going to be around $400cdn is it not?

i guess i'll have to do without one..

-d

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I think we can get 'em for about $300CDN. The model on SBN I believe is the TOP-O-THE-LINE Chatterbox, but they're other models available, and I believe they're compatible with each other.

And yes, we would more than likely get a 'group' discount on it... but we'll defintetly have to wait to get a couple of samples to try out.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
another thing is, do they use the same frequency range as the cheapie motorolla/uniden/whatnot hand held walkie talkies?
that'd be cool..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a pair of these, that jody and I use, they work great, they are from a Winnipeg company, Collett Electronics, they were designed for snowmobile use 900mhz, and are much clearer than the chatter box ones. Cost was around $225CDN, only problem is they don't work once you are doing 140kmh, same with the chatterbox ones, I think the VOX cuts out at that speed for some reason. Anyway, they are good no matter which ones you get, just remember that the chatterbox FRS ones are compatible with all handheld FRS radios as well, in the 450mhz range.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hmm.... should look into the Chatterbox FRS then, friends can talk to you if they were driving a car following behind using their own <whatever brand> FRS unit.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
xenz said:
Hmm.... should look into the Chatterbox FRS then, friends can talk to you if they were driving a car following behind using their own <whatever brand> FRS unit.
I have so idea's for your helmet we should get together one day late next week and I will show you.

B

·
0 Posts
you know i'm always in for a group purchase! And i might get two 'cause my birthday is coming up, and so i can use it even when not riding with you guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got the Collett communicators and I agree with Digi - proper working VOX and clearer communications than the Chatterbox.

Things get difficult to understand at high speeds (wind noise I think), but I've been able to use my VOX properly all the way past 200Kph without any problems. Chatterboxes will not work past 100ish.

Only $139US, they're located in Canada, and I'd be willing to let anyone try mine if they really wanted to try before buying.

http://www.collett.mb.ca (RMS also carries em)

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
HDs99 said:
I've got the Collett communicators and I agree with Digi - proper working VOX and clearer communications than the Chatterbox.

Things get difficult to understand at high speeds (wind noise I think), but I've been able to use my VOX properly all the way past 200Kph without any problems. Chatterboxes will not work past 100ish.

Only $139US, they're located in Canada, and I'd be willing to let anyone try mine if they really wanted to try before buying.

http://www.collett.mb.ca (RMS also carries em)

do they work on the same frequencies as the little motorolla walkie talkies that you can buy in radio shack for instance?

·
Registered
332 Posts
the one in the sbn purchase is the X2 which is a step down from the top of the line X1. The FRS multisport from chatter box is pretty cheap compare to the X1 or the X2s. Some of my friends have the collet communicators, they sd sometimes you can static, and you can actually hear other people talk on their cell phones, and sometimes it is very abrubt, so it hurts your ears and scares you sometimes. I have never tried it, dunno if it is true, same with the chatterboxes...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Human said:
are the collett, chatterboxes compatible ?
No they are not chatterbox compatible, they work at a higher frequency than the chatter box ones, also they last longer between recharges than chatterbox does.

both units are good, but the mic system on the collett ones is better provided that you buy the 900mhz ones not the cheap ones.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts