BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yah, I know...the title of this thread is sending shivers up the neck of all the posers on this forum.

Anyways, if you're a cheapskate and are considering paying $50 for that used "never been dropped - but has been crashed 10 times" circa 1982 open-face white C.H.I.P.S. helmet, consider this as an option.

I was at the Guilford Surrey Walmart, in the automotive Dept when I came across some fairly non-descript yellow cardboard boxes with some MC helmets in them on one of their shelves.

They had a really nice shiny black full-face that was very similarly styled to the shoei XSP-II, for $99 (lots of vents). They had a flat black open face for the cruisers that actually looked quite well padded for $59, and they had a motocross helmet with some pretty cool metallic gray/charcoal graphics for $129.

I believe they all had their certifications, and wouldn't surprise me if they're made by the same companies that make some of the cheaper helmets out there - KBC, HJC, ...whatever.

Just thought you'd like to know. Don't be flaming me with all the "you're crazy if you don't spend $800 on a helmet!". Studies have been done, cheap helmets are as good as expensive ones...blah, blah, blah...search for the threads. It's not rocket science people, styrofoam liner with a hard shell...

Just letting you know about a good deal if you're interested. :)

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Anything will be better than the hockey helmet that I ride with....probably.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
BlackScorpion said:
... Don't be flaming me with all the "you're crazy if you don't spend $800 on a helmet!". Studies have been done, cheap helmets are as good as expensive ones...
true, but a little more $$$ gets you a lot more nice features that make the experience much better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well if its comfy and it protects your head.. then go for it :p.. but if its heavy and uncomfortable your gonna hate wearing it for any extended period of time.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
Hmmm, I could pick up a pack of bacon and some sweatpants while I'm there.:rockon

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I agree, you get what you pay for...and for me, when it comes to safety gear, you can't cheap out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
^
I think his whole point was

"if you're a cheapskate and are considering paying $50 for that used "never been dropped - but has been crashed 10 times" circa 1982 open-face white C.H.I.P.S. helmet, consider this as an option."

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Ya it might protect you in a crash but the stiching will come apart in a year or so.

Probably a good passenger lid that wont see much use.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
someone please post up a pic

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
this thread is funny...haha....in the states you can buy a helmet, bacon, and a gun at walmart....

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
hockey helmet, wtf. Ice cream bucket, thats where its at fuckkaz!!! lol

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
- Put bacon in hemet
- Use gun to kill moose
- Put moose in helmet
- Mix
- Eat
- Ride
Don't forget to cook moose on engine cases while riding back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yah, I know...the title of this thread is sending shivers up the neck of all the posers on this forum.

Anyways, if you're a cheapskate and are considering paying $50 for that used "never been dropped - but has been crashed 10 times" circa 1982 open-face white C.H.I.P.S. helmet, consider this as an option.

I was at the Guilford Surrey Walmart, in the automotive Dept when I came across some fairly non-descript yellow cardboard boxes with some MC helmets in them on one of their shelves.

They had a really nice shiny black full-face that was very similarly styled to the shoei XSP-II, for $99 (lots of vents). They had a flat black open face for the cruisers that actually looked quite well padded for $59, and they had a motocross helmet with some pretty cool metallic gray/charcoal graphics for $129.

I believe they all had their certifications, and wouldn't surprise me if they're made by the same companies that make some of the cheaper helmets out there - KBC, HJC, ...whatever.

Just thought you'd like to know. Don't be flaming me with all the "you're crazy if you don't spend $800 on a helmet!". Studies have been done, cheap helmets are as good as expensive ones...blah, blah, blah...search for the threads. It's not rocket science people, styrofoam liner with a hard shell...

Just letting you know about a good deal if you're interested. :)
saw them at walmart too. I believe they are a Canadian Brand called Sigi (manufactured in China as per the box)
http://sigi-helmets.com/sigi-catalog/index.php

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it passes the safety standards then it will protect your head in a crash. The only thing more expensive helmets give you is comfort/features.

I personally would never buy a helmet from walmart. Infact, I buy nothing at walmart.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You do realize this thread is from 2006?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts