BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 98 gsxr 750 last week. did an oil change today, and now its telling me to check the oil and it wasn't before...what the hell? i put in 2600ml like it calls for(oil message came on) then i noticed on the sight glass i could add more(because of the oil filter i assume?) so i added a bit more but the message is still on?...i plan on getting the repair manual asap but until then some info would be sweet.

·
Slow.........
1,570 Posts
Check the level again, maybe you still didnt add enough.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm assuming you also started it up and cycled the oil through it before checking it again?

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
The bike takes 3 liters....so ya your a bit low and my guess is you never actually checked the level, the started the bike, waitied for the filter to fill up cycling the oil, then shut it down, waited a minute then re checked the level ....did you?

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
I hate pointing out obvious stuff, but is the bike running while the light is on? because it will be on while the bike is 'on' but not in run.

Also it might be a stored message. Try unplugging your battery and pulling the brake trigger for a few seconds, then hook up the battery and see if the light comes on when you run the bike.

Cheers.

·
lover of twins
6,089 Posts
a tip for the future, fill up the filter with oil before you put it back on, this way you get the right level sooner and your engine doesn't have to cycle as long without oil after the change.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
The light will come on if there is no or low pressure. If it is on with the bike running then either the bike is very low on oil, the oil pump isnt working, or the sending unit lost its wire. first check is to look at the sending unit and see if the wire to it has a good connection, then pull the wire off and with the key and light on ground it to see if the circuit works, by grounding it the ligh should go out. If that works remove the pressure switch and either just replace it or with an air line do a bench test on it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Okay, newbie question. Are you supposed to check oil level when the engine is warm? (e.g. 5-10 minutes after a ride) Will oil level show higher if you measure it when it's cold?

·
lover of twins
6,089 Posts
just like your car, best time to check is when it's cold. bike should be on level ground and if possible have someone hold the bike straight up and down (not leaning on the kickstand) while you check the oil. if the bike is tilted even slightly it can throw the reading off and show as okay while it may actually be low

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Okay, newbie question. Are you supposed to check oil level when the engine is warm? (e.g. 5-10 minutes after a ride) Will oil level show higher if you measure it when it's cold?
Like most fluids oil will expand slightly when hot compared to ambient temps, however not really enough to be important to you. As long as you are around the full mark all will be good, I look at mine hot and cold and don't really notice a difference.

·
backslider
11,219 Posts
my BMW manual says check the oil when engine is fully HOT (for my specific bike, that is)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Generally I feel either hot or cold is fine, as long as you do not check the level IMMEDIATELY after shutting down: give it a minute or so for most of the oil to drain down back to the sump.

But that is just the OCD in me: probably does not make a huge difference: reading will be probably be close enough either way...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i burped the filter,reset the battery, and cleaned up the sending unit connection, good to go, thanks everyone =)

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
a tip for the future, fill up the filter with oil before you put it back on, this way you get the right level sooner and your engine doesn't have to cycle as long without oil after the change.
Actually, no.
Most of it will pour back out and make a mess as you try and put it back on.
put it on empty, and just rev it up once to about 3-4000 RPM as soon as it starts, and BINGO, lights goes out right away. Maybe not his problem, but the pump will fill that filter in a hurry given the right revs.

·
lover of twins
6,089 Posts
Actually, no.
put it on empty, and just rev it up once to about 3-4000 RPM as soon as it starts, and BINGO, lights goes out right away. Maybe not his problem, but the pump will fill that filter in a hurry given the right revs.

i read it on the internet so it must be true.

not full to the brim, just enough to soak the filter - and be quick like a bunny so you don't spill any.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i read it on BC Sportbikes so it must be true.

not full to the brim, just enough to soak the filter - and be quick like a bunny so you don't spill any.
Good advice that would work on a filter which mounts vertically with its closed end at the bottom. I've been doing this for years and the difference in "dry time" is noticeable.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Actually, no.
The filter on my bike mounts horizontally, and I have always primed it with new oil before installation. I don't fill it to the brim, about 2/3 full does the trick and it doesn't spill a drop when I spin it on. Some oil in the filter is better than bone dry.

:ghost

1 - 20 of 25 Posts