BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hey guys, how much oil is too much oil?! Normally when the bike is on the kickstand, the window is empty...when I lifted the bike today vertically to check, the window was completely full! My garage is slightly tilted backwards, but not side-to-side so it shouldn't affected the oil window...if there was any problems, would I have noticed it by now? If I tilt the bike a little to the left, the oil level obviously drops a little bit...but as far as I can tell when it's perfectly upright, the window is full. Any chance I'm reading this wrong? I've been riding the bike now for awhile, and it feels fine...

edit: to check the level, I turned the engine on, left it on for 2 mins, turned the bike off for 3 mins, then had my wife hold the bike up vertically when I checked the window.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Looks like you are a little over full.
No biggie,you could try take a little out until you are at the top line but I wouldn't worry about it.
See where it say say 2300ml on your engine case?
Thats how much oil you put in.
When the bike is level and off it should show about 3/4 full in the window or to the top line.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Keep in mind this is just an operating range. Like your dipstick in the car, there is a high mark and a low mark. you want to make sure there is oil within that "range". The best and only way you should be doing your oil level is by volume, There are 2 amounts. 1 without a filter and with a filter. once you do the oil change with the correct volume the window is only there for a quick reference to make sure there is oil in the engine. You can tip the bike slightly off center until you see oil in the window, If your tipping the bike way over then perhaps its time to look into why the level is low. or your doing it too soon after running it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry...my pictures are poor quality and don't show properly and I think my wording was bad. When the bike is upright, the oil level is right at the very top of the viewing window, so it's definitely over the top line. I'm just wondering if it's necessary for me to suck some of the oil back out or if it will be fine even if it's filled to the top of the viewing window. I didn't do the oil change so I'm not sure what the exact volume was put in.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts