BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a gixxer last year. In October/November I put it away. Away means I parked it outside, covered it with a tarp and let it sit there through out the winter. Now I have the urge to drive and it won't start. It seems there is no spark. It cranks but it won't turn over. What do you think might be the problem?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
same thing that happens to all poorly stored bikes.

gummed up fuel system.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what's required at this point. Is there a certain type of liquid that can be purchased to clean that out or???

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drain the tank of the crap. pull the carbs and or throttle bodies and clean them. pull the plugs and clean or replace them. charge the battery.

and don't leave fuel to go bad next winter.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
kikindust said:
It cranks but it won't turn over. What do you think might be the problem?
Crank and turn over are the same thing. Does the engine spin and not start or does it make a half turn and not spin/start?

Also if it is a fuel injected gixxer, you just need to fill it with new gas. What year, what model?

Did you have a battery charger on it? Did you start it weekly to heat it up and kill the water vapour?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a 97 750. Unfortunately it was not started during the time it was not used, approximately 4 months.

The bike will attempt to start but the engine does not turn over. It's almost as if the fuel is not igniting. I don't know

I did charge up the battery so that shouldn't be the problem.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doug said:
have fun tearing the carbs down.
can't I just use a small amount of carb cleaner or something I dunno. I appreciate your advise. I am not familiar with the motorcycle mechanics thus why I am asking for alternatives...bike shops are closed today and I desperately want to go riding today :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your carbs' internals will be very varnished with old gummy gas.

a bit of carb cleaner in the tank won't fix your problem. your carbs need to be stripped and properly cleaned.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
kikindust said:
ah craAhp I'd better get to work then. Thank you
I just had my old beater bike cleaned out by Burnaby Kawasaki. I just got lazy and let it sit(even though I knew that it was probably going to get gummed up).

BK had to drain the tank, dissasemble the carbs and clean'em, change the sparkplugs. They also cleaned the airfilter and did a couple of other things to get the bike going.

I think the carb clean component(all labour) comes out to 200+ dollars. Just so ya know. And this is a learning experience. Read up on storage procedures and you'll know how to avoid the same 200$ bill every season.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Dude sounds like youre way over your head. I'd be spending the bucks on a mechanic or beer for a knowledgable buddy to help out.

Carbs are not something you can just 'play with to see if I can make it work'. Even small mistakes will render the fuel system dead and WILL cost you way more in the end. Right now the problem is pretty obvious, (semi-solidified gasoline in the carbs) if you start messing around without any sort of a mechanical background, the costs will mount when it comes time to take it to a mechanic to figure out what you did wrong.

Odds are great (for a 10 year old bike) that you will need to buy a carb rebuild kit since the rubber parts will most likely require replacing. Budget for that on top of the labour.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
kikindust said:
I picked up a gixxer last year. In October/November I put it away. Away means I parked it outside, covered it with a tarp and let it sit there through out the winter. Now I have the urge to drive and it won't start. It seems there is no spark. It cranks but it won't turn over. What do you think might be the problem?
Before you start looking at your fuel system, I would make sure your battery isn't dead. A low battery will still crank your engine, but might not have enough to get it started. Especially, the first start of the season.

Did you take your battery out in the fall?

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
kikindust said:
The bike will attempt to start but the engine does not turn over. It's almost as if the fuel is not igniting. I don't know
You clearly don't know much about engines/mechanics/etc. So it's going to be tough to troubleshoot this yourself, regardless of any advice you get here - you might do more harm than good. So I recommend you get a shop to get it going for you this season, then store it properly next season.

The basics for storage are to put fuel stabilizer in (some will argue against but its cheap so do it), remove/disconnect the battery and put it on a battery tender (no, not the same as a charger).

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Give Gord a call at Word of Mouth Auto,
I think he can even pick the thing up for you maybe and he is a GSXR ace mechanic. Just spend the money and next year drain the carbs and put Fuel Stabilizer in the tank. As one of the previous posts said its a learnging experience. But I will say ripping the carbs off is one of my most hated jobs.

Good luck

·
Registered
520 Posts
Also charging a battery doesn't mean anything is the battery is dead.
No much how much CPR you do to a dead battery once it is dead, it is dead, so you might have to buy a new one of those as well.
If it is the case, contact Edmonds battery, will save you at least $100 :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
during the riding season, i dont ride everyday, should I still run the bike to get rid of the vapour on a daily basis? or once every two days? right now, I'm only riding on weekends...hopefully..that'll change soon

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
^ not the best idea, (late model) bikes can normally sit for at least a month or so without any storage prep required, and FI bikes even longer.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
take your battery to canadian tyre and ask them to see if its ok. they did it for free for me, and even charged it.

otherwise you need to take your bike to a mechanic since you, like the rest of us suckers, probably do not know what you doing.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
REVELATIONS said:
^ not the best idea, (late model) bikes can normally sit for at least a month or so without any storage prep required, and FI bikes even longer.
my bike is 1984..so its quite old...but 5 days isnt long enough for me ot have to run it to get rid of the vapour?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts