BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
So, just had a pretty negative experience with the Chop Shop. Bought some parts there a while ago, and he quoted me $450 on a set of Gixxer wheels with rotors, spacers and axles. I thought it was a reasonable deal, so I told him I would buy them.

Phoned two weeks later, told him I was still going to pick them up, but wanted to confirm the price we agreed on. He told me he wanted $500 now, but "if I said I would sell them for $450, I will. I remember now. Fine".

Phoned him on the weekend, told him I would pick them up on Monday. Phoned yesterday and set it up for today. Showed up today, his employee, as he calls her, phones him. Price is now $550. He apparently told her that there was no way that he ever agreed to sell them for $450.

I was pretty steamed. 2.5 hour drive for nothing (paying the extra hun was not an option on principle alone). Told his "employee" that he was a *insert really really bad word here* (not the employee, the owner). And yes, those who might ask, I would be happy to tell him this to his face.

No way do I believe that he does not remember the quote he gave me: it has been kicked around twice now, and he remembers me when I call. It was just a flat out bait and switch, just before a race weekend when he knew the rain was coming. But we had agreed on a sale (I had even offered a deposit, which he told me was not necessary).

So, tt600, still wanna sell those wheels?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,839 Posts
2 bits of advice to pass on here:

"motorcycling is not a welfare sport" -miteorite

"act fast, good deals don't last" - grandmothers everywhere

·
GPFairings.com
635 Posts
get quoted now.. and go pick it up now. this happens with all private wreckers. Go to the car salvage yards. they are even worst at times. Tells you then have it, and last one. you go over there, they sold it already.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you really insist on giving your money to someone you feel has wronged you, record your phone calls with him. As far as I'm aware, BC is a one party consent province, so you should not have to tell him that you're recording the conversation. Of course, I am not a lawyer...

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, I would have bought them on the spot when I was there buying some other parts, but they were on the bike, and he did not have time to strip it.

So buying on the spot was not an option, and he told me not to worry about a deposit...

And the parts were still there today, sitting right in front of the counter.

Yeah, maybe Brad is busy. So what. Pretty sure he does not have Alzheimer's.

He clearly remembered me when I called today, as he said "yeah, and I put the spacers in a box cause I know you racers want the spacers..." (kind of cool to be called a racer, but hardly, yet).

If he wanted more money, he should have told me BEFORE I drove from Squamish to Richmond...

Note to self: deal elsewhere...

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is he too busy to buy a note pad?
10-4 on that. Write shit down, and then you can't be doubted. If Brad's "employee" had a quote book beside the phone, it would have contained these words: "Jay Squamish Gixxer Wheels $450 April **".

That is how business is done. Then you never have frustrated people slagging your business on the web, or anywhere else.

I can anticipate the next point, so...

I think it would have been OK for Brad to say that he had a lot of interest in those wheels and that I had waited three weeks or so, and there was a new price.

I would not have been happy, but that would have been straight shootin'.

·
Registered
844 Posts
lol that was you that yelled at the poor innocent employee, why didnt you do what a nomal human being would do and talk to me, its sort of hard to keep track of multiple phone calls and inquiries on the exact same item in a short time frame. if i recall correctly, you were in buying parts a few weeks ago and asked about wheels, i said id give them to you for $450 cause you were buying some other stuff and for some reason i was in a good mood. THEN, on the weekend you call and ask about said wheels, and say youd come in this week to get the wheels, but keep in mind we didnt discuss price in the last two weeks, AND you did not have a deposit on the wheels, so they were available to anyone that wants them, somebody else calls monday am wanting the same set of wheels, i said $550 with all rotors, cush drive, spacers etc.. he said he would take them and would be right in, you happened to get here before him, failed to negotiate on the price we set before, threw a fit and left, the next customer comes in two hours later and was quite happy with his wheel purchase. Dunno how i could of done anything different besides logging and recording phone calls, in this bussiness items are generally cash and carry unless you have a deposit, and fyi there is no bait and switching in this instance as they always were the same wheels from the same bike. perhaps the whole shit show if my fault for giving you a discount the original time you came in for god knows what reason, if i stuck to my regular price then we wouldnt have this issue.

discuss...

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
I dunno when I call shops and say I want this, they quote me I go get it right away. I'd be pissed if they jacked up the price in the 20 mins it took me to get there. Two weeks later? ehhhh it's here say from the shops point of view.

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be clear, we spoke about the price on that day, then again on the phone (where it went from $500 to $450 when I reminded him of his original quote).

In three conversations over the last few days, he is clearly aware of who I am and that I am coming from Squamish for these wheels.

Now, his regular price is $550, not $500. So his price went from $450 to $500 and then to $550. His call, but me, I don't deal with businesses like that.

Yeah, yeah, supply and demand and all that, but please note: when we agreed that I would purchase the wheels, I made a point of telling him that I lived in Squamish and would not be back for some time. That is when I offered the deposit. He told me not to worry about it.

And yeah, I did yell "you tell your boss that he is a C***S*****!" at his employee. That was wrong, and I regret it. Now if he had been there, I would have been totally in my rights to call him a cocksucker...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have dealt with Brad before.. He's a straight shooter...

Bottom line.. If you wanted them you should have gone to get them right away or paid visa and had them shipped..

I'm on the island and have bought stuff off him before..

Negotiated price over the phone, paid visa and shipped..
never any drama...

You want a written quote? Get a written quote..

I wouldnt expect Brad to remember any of my bike whoring conversations with him (and there have been a few!! LOL)

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have dealt with Brad before.. He's a straight shooter...

Bottom line.. If you wanted them you should have gone to get them right away or paid visa and had them shipped..

I'm on the island and have bought stuff off him before..

Negotiated price over the phone, paid visa and shipped..
never any drama...

You want a written quote? Get a written quote..

I wouldnt expect Brad to remember any of my bike whoring conversations with him (and there have been a few!! LOL)

Frustrating. RTFT!

I was in the shop. Wanted them right away. He was not interested in taking them off. Told him they were sold, offered deposit. He declined.

Just read the other thread. Seems like I am not the first dude to get pissed about this. It has kind of fucked my plan this weekend, and I am doubtful that the wheels sold. That the wheels sold sounds like BS to me as well: he never mentioned any other offers, and clearly knew it was Jay from Squamish.

Note to Brad: Just get a quote book, dude! Sooo easy.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Originally Posted by DNAspark99
"motorcycling is not a welfare sport" -miteorite

actually you're quoting me - but who's keeping score.
Actually, I heard it from Young Lion first. You were quoting him.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.