BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
"Experience" THX Rogger.
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone uses a good degreaser/cleaner that they could recommend. I ride year round and after riding in the rain/winter I develop that dirty film on my engine/pipe/rims. I have an SV so I am not concerned about getting anything on my paint. Any tips? Thanks…:flashy

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Pledge and a soft cloth for the body work and rims, but on the pipe.
Mothers polish for the metal.
Used this combo for years.
:thumbup

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Simple Green automotive. Spray it on and let it sit. Scrub the really filthy areas then rinse. Fact that it's enviro friendly is a plus.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
Simple Green automotive. Spray it on and let it sit. Scrub the really filthy areas then rinse. Fact that it's enviro friendly is a plus.

bingo, if its really dirty use full strength, otherwise you can water it down a bit and it still works awesome. dont let it sit on bare aluminum stuff for too long tho it will leave a mark.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i use simple green on the bike and wheels and honda spray for the plastics,
my visor and detailing the bike.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
+1 on the simple green. i also just spray everything with wd40 and let it soak, then hose it off. it works well on all the chain oil crap that builds up under there.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Simple green on engine and engine related parts, WD40 to clean the chain and rims and pledge on painted plastic parts. WD40 is also good to remove the bits of chain gunk that end up on the undertail.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I heart WD-40.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
No on the WD-40 unless there's some follow up with a detergent of some sort. WD leaves an oil film on the parts that'll hold future dirt. It's fine for softening up serious grease buildups but it's not the final solution.

It's also more expensive than some other options. For a couple of years now I've used KleenFlo engine degreaser/cleaner for serious grease, oil and tarry buildups and it really cuts through it slick as hell. And it won't etch the aluminium like pure Simple Green can do. $20 a gallon at Lordco. And a gallon will easily last you for a couple of seasons. Apply, mush around and hose off. It also leaves a very slight rust/corrosion inhibitor oil behind but it's easily washed off with soapy water.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
No on the WD-40 unless there's some follow up with a detergent of some sort. WD leaves an oil film on the parts that'll hold future dirt. It's fine for softening up serious grease buildups but it's not the final solution.

It's also more expensive than some other options. For a couple of years now I've used KleenFlo engine degreaser/cleaner for serious grease, oil and tarry buildups and it really cuts through it slick as hell. And it won't etch the aluminium like pure Simple Green can do. $20 a gallon at Lordco. And a gallon will easily last you for a couple of seasons. Apply, mush around and hose off. It also leaves a very slight rust/corrosion inhibitor oil behind but it's easily washed off with soapy water.
sorry yes i forgot to add that i use the WD to loosen up and dissolve the gunk then i wash the whole bike normally.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
i've been told by many ppl that kerosene is the best thing to use to clean the chain. doesnt damage the o rings and does a killer job of getting all the gunk off. i've also used it quite a bit on some of the heavier gunk on the engine with good results.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
i've been told by many ppl that kerosene is the best thing to use to clean the chain. doesnt damage the o rings and does a killer job of getting all the gunk off. i've also used it quite a bit on some of the heavier gunk on the engine with good results.
Kerosene to clean off the chain. Gets rid of all the crap so easily. Clean it all off, and spray with chain lube. Good stuff :)

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
Actually, it does say "chain" on the can.

A couple years ago I would have laughed at wd-40 users too. Something that cheap can't be any good.

Now I learned ... "Don't knock it till you try it".
the problem with WD-40 is that (as mentioned before) it leaves a residue behind. this residue doesnt allow the chain lube/wax to properly stick on the chain and it basically comes off with the first bit of rain or whatever. it may clean well but then you have to take steps to remove the residue, hence why kerosene is the better alternative. and hell, kerosene is like 2.50 for a 1L bottle, thats pretty damn cheap if you ask me

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
If you're still riding when the salt hits the roads, make sure you give the bike a hosedown before you park it for the night.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts