BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how people go about cleaning the inside padding of their helmet. I know some of you might have removable inners but this is more for those of us that dont. I was thinking of just using laundry detergent and a bucket of water and submersing the helmet. I have heard that it is ok to submerse helmets without ruining the glue or structure.

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
I blast it with the shower, and I think I used shampoo last time! maybe try a mild fabric deterent. Towel dry the inside as much as possible and let it dry out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
whatever you do, don't try to use any heavy cleaning products. i once bought a spray can of "Helmet Fresh", make especially for cleaning and deodorizing helmet liners. it's one of those where you just spray it on and wipe it off. it was nasty! left a really bad heavy chemical smell in the helmet.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
try this it works for me,and I'v used this method for years on snowmobile helmit's and dirt/road helmits.
1 empty dishwasher........throw your helmit and a TABLESPOON of laundry detergent in ,run on a regular cycle,not a potscrubber,or a super heat cycle,just a regular cycle with no heat. wash it and take it out to dry in a NO HEAT just circulating air through it.Take off the visor before you do this.Good luck ,and your welcome.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I washed my Arai Quantum and spare Shoei last year based upon instructions from a Motorcyclist, (or was it Sport Rider?) article last year. These are essentially the same instructions as outlined in the article.

1. Wash with cold water.
2. Use a mild shampoo or Zero cold water mild fabric detergent
3. Rinse with cold water 3-4 times.
4. Towel dry the inside as much as you can, (it'll still be wet afterwards)
5. Dry further with the helmet upside down overnight, (over 2 nights actually)
6. Do not use heat to dry.

I found that I had to rinse them more than twice because I couldn't get the shampoo smell out. It came out eventually though. I also found that I had to turn it upside down because it wouldn't dry otherwise. By washing it you'll likely ruin some of the stickers stuck inside the helmet. I didn't care, maybe you will.

For Arais and possibly some other brands, keep in mind that you might have removable cheek pads. Take those out and wash them separately.

**Keep your spare helmet clean too, your g/f or other passengers will appreciate it.

Cheers folks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I never need to clean the inside of my helmet because I always wear a bandana on my head before I put my helmet on that way, my hear stays out of my face and the helmet stays clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts