BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a textile jacket and a Shoei helmet. Both have the obligitory summer bug s on em. What can I do to get that gross stuff off? Can I wash the jacket in the washer & dryer? Should I just spray the helmet with some soap and water and scrub off the bugs? Can I wax the helmet for maximum bling factor? :rockon

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
Wet a cloth in hot water and lay it on your visor for 5 minutes and then the bugs just wipe away without scratching it! I Febreeze my gear and thats about it!

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
you can wax your helmet with any of these: protectall, plexus or this new product I'm trying called gel gloss which can only be found at canadian tire. I used it on my helmets and they have a nice shine and are hopefully slick enough that the bugs won't stick to them.

D

·
0 Posts
i'd recommend not using fabreeze on anything you plan on wearing. especially inside your helmet. after a while fabreeze will become fagross.

you can wash a textile jacket in the wash machine, just on a gentle cycle. for the liner, same. if it's waterproof, think twice, as the seam tape will likely come apart. hang dry.

for caked on helmet bugs, take the visor off and soak it in soapy water for a while. like the wet cloth idea, it will soften up the bug guts and make removal pain free. scrubbing may lead to scratching. be as gentle as possible. use a wax/cleaner meant for visors. you can try turtle wax or the like, but it may leave swirl marks in your visor. also, be careful with what you use to polish your lid, because the polish may damage the finish instead of protect it.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
look at the tags inside of the gear...usually has washing instructions! different gear requires different attention!

Pete

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I bought Zymol to wax my bike, I figure the helmet probably has a clear coat similar to the bike, and people rave about how great Zymol is. Im glad someone mentioned the scratching of the visor, I never would have thought of that. Thanks again!

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Just remember if you choose to go this route that for SOME washing machines, "gentle wash" isnt all that gentle.
It still agitates at the same frequency, but just stops and sits for a few seconds. This will still rip up the textile stitching (dont ask how I know).

You need a washing machine that actually SLOWS DOWN during the "gentle cycle".

I washed my "non machine washable" textiles twice, in two different machines.
Other than the gentle cycle issue in the second machine, mine came out looking brand new.
And SHOUT worked great on the bigger bug carnage. That brush works wonders.

Dont forget to remove the armour.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My wife washed our textile jackets and pants, and they look like new. The instructions are on the labels inside. Remove all the armour of course.

We both have Shoei helmets and we removed the cheek padding, and strap covering, and washed them in Zero by hand in the sink. Rinsed, let rack dry for a day, and they look and smell like new. I rinsed the padding inside the helmet using a cloth soaked from the Zero in the sink and then rinsed with a wettish cloth with water, and let dry. Turned out great. Remove the visor before doing this.

·
Dr Tung
558 Posts
Like V 650...always check the wash label..My JR Hard Drive jacket is woolite soak only..no hand mashing or washing machines.... Helmets are warm soapy water at your discretion....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts