BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.clearercom.com/cleartalk.htm
Anyone used these?
What are you thoughts? Anyone know where I can buy em locally(or at least in canada).
Anyone have any other suggestions?
I will be going on a bike trip to arizona, we will be using radios, and a headset would make things much easier. I've tried the earbud type, and I find them pretty uncomfortable.

Ryan

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Looks like a good set. The push-to-talk is almost a necessity, don't expect the voice-actuation to work properly when riding a bike. The threshold for triggering the mike is too fine, and changes depending on where your helmet is pointed and what you're doing on the bike. I'll probably pick up a set of these once the riding season starts, i've been wanting a more integrated setup.

F

·
0 Posts
www.bikeintercom.com is Vancouver based and sells the same products. I have a set at home but haven't tried em out yet. Seems to be of decent quality and all. You velcro the speakers/mic into your helmet and you can't even tell they're there. Comes to about $50 each headset (those prices are in US, bastids) and then you need radios and apparantly Motorola is the only brand they work with (I emailed and asked). The only problem I see so far is where to put the PTT button. Would work great for cruisers/whatever but there's not a lot of spare room on your handlebars on sport bikes. I'm sure if you fiddle around a bit you'll find a good spot. Another stupid thing is the speakers aren't just a headphone jack that you could use with an mp3 player, that would be really handy but I'm sure there's an adapter you could get.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone actually used any of the headsets that plug into a motorola radio? I would rather go this way than with something like a chatterbox radio with a big lump on the side of my helmet. If anybody has experiences or recommendations, good, bad or otherwise, with any of the communicators I'd love to hear them.

Jason

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
My only experience was with the throat microphones. I'll be brief: Don't bother.

I expect to try one of the pancake-speakers-and-stick-on-mic versions this summer, from the reports i've read they work very well. And the Motorola radios work very well too, so it should be a great bike communication solution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Spike said:
My only experience was with the throat microphones. I'll be brief: Don't bother.

I expect to try one of the pancake-speakers-and-stick-on-mic versions this summer, from the reports i've read they work very well. And the Motorola radios work very well too, so it should be a great bike communication solution.

A friend of mine bought one of the throat mics to use on set, but like you said, it was a waste of time. All you could hear was mslgslkg mkmkmi! Mlmejiwetn! Melkwtj? He was so disappointed.

The earpiece squiggles with separate mic for motorola radios are pretty good, but the only problem is the push button is on the mic, so it would be very difficult to use with a helmet on.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
.Z. said:
A friend of mine bought one of the throat mics to use on set, but like you said, it was a waste of time. All you could hear was mslgslkg mkmkmi! Mlmejiwetn! Melkwtj? He was so disappointed.
When not riding the bike I was able to get the microphone into a position that the microphone worked really well. The main problems were that it wouldn't stay there solidly enough (so 5 minutes later you're unintelligible again because the mike moved), and nothing I could do would break the voice-operated squelch predictably (and since there was no side-tone, there was no way to know whether or not you'd broken the squelch and started transmitting). Putting it on while on the bike just meant more problems, with wind, road, and bike noise, and voice distortion because you're in a helmet.

The earpiece squiggles with separate mic for motorola radios are pretty good, but the only problem is the push button is on the mic, so it would be very difficult to use with a helmet on.
Ideally you want the PTT on your handlebar where you can reach it with a finger or thumb, or better yet on your index finger, where you can hit it with your thumb.

If you put it on your index finger, and the radio in your jacket pocket, you can run the wires down your sleeve and you're not tethered to the bike when you get off.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spike said:
If you put it on your index finger, and the radio in your jacket pocket, you can run the wires down your sleeve and you're not tethered to the bike when you get off.
ahh.. That sounds like a good idea.. I was trying to think of where you would put it so your not wired to your bike.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts