BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Warp Speed Bug Killer
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In traffic as I was slowing down to the redlight, while I was at 2nd or 3rd (most likely 3rd) gear, and used the rear brake, I heard this single clicking sound. I can't reproduce it all the time though, but this has happened to me twice (so the frequency is low but it does happen).

I figure this sound is most likely from the transmission, but don't know why. Anybody having any ideas where and why? And does it indicate something bad or something I shouldn't be doing (perhaps, use the rear brake while at low gear)?

Bike is '03 Kawi ZX-6R.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Look at your rotor maybe your rear pads are nearly done and one side is lower than the other , and the plate is contacting the rotor , look for heavy wear on the rotor , maybe

·
Warp Speed Bug Killer
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hm, i wasn't slamming on the brake... what's chain-slap?

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Your chain when being driven by the front sprocket will be pulled taut. When you brake, you take away that tension, and if the chain is too loose it'll slap.

·
Warp Speed Bug Killer
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was holding the chain to swing it up and down and noticed that the top portion of the chain was slapping on this plastic rail thing (so that must be chain-slap) and the sound of it is exactly the same as what I heard. Thanks guys.

I checked the chain slack and it's too loose - 46mm whereas manual suggests 25-30mm. Is that something I can live with for now or I have to get it adjusted asap?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts