BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
BMatthews said:

What? :eek You're gonna stip it down and drill holes in the frame, wheels, tires and gas tank looking for drugs??????
you gotta do watcha gotta do :) ok ok, maybe the Canada Customs instead.... wait, they dont do much at all :)

thats it, i'm off to bed :p

btw, thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
BMatthews said:
With the cold weather your shocks are a lot stiffer than "normal" so the damping is all off as well. With the warm weather coming things will get back to normal soon.
Thank you Bruce, you're the man :cool

And no wonder I was bouncing around like a ping pong ball ( <-- I like this phase) these days. Just can't wait till the suspension tuneup day :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Just one more little niggle before you can sleep well tonight. You mentioned that you had adjusted the chain after noticing it was a little loose. If the chain was set too tight, you may have worn the main drive bearing and that would lead to a clunk-clunk noise. It would also make shifting less smooth. I did that on my VFR and it was hard to notice at first but got progressively worse. My solution was easy: I traded it in :laughing :laughing but if you're set on having it fixed, it will likely cost about $800-$1000!!!:eek Again, I stress, this is just another possibility. It's quite unlikely that you'd overtighten a chain on a Gixxer. The problem with the VFR was that with a single-sided swingarm, there's more slack taken up when the rear wheel is returned to the ground (I dunno why) and I neglected to re-check the slack.

I hope I'm wrong and you're clunkless very soon.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hu99 said:
Just one more little niggle before you can sleep well tonight. You mentioned that you had adjusted the chain after noticing it was a little loose. If the chain was set too tight, you may have worn the main drive bearing and that would lead to a clunk-clunk noise. It would also make shifting less smooth. I did that on my VFR and it was hard to notice at first but got progressively worse. My solution was easy: I traded it in :laughing :laughing but if you're set on having it fixed, it will likely cost about $800-$1000!!!:eek Again, I stress, this is just another possibility. It's quite unlikely that you'd overtighten a chain on a Gixxer. The problem with the VFR was that with a single-sided swingarm, there's more slack taken up when the rear wheel is returned to the ground (I dunno why) and I neglected to re-check the slack.

I hope I'm wrong and you're clunkless very soon.:D
haven't heard any chunk after I tighten the chain, but it is in tolerable tolerances according to the manual.... 20-30 mm up to down....

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
BTW you two. If it was just some rear tire chatter/hopping then it doesn't make any difference if the clutch is in or not. It's the tire and swingarm doing the hopping. I suppose if the chain was loose enough you'd hear that bouncing off the lower swingarm or slapping the rubbery guide plate on the upper side though.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts