BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was practicing my clutch ups tonight.. and after an hour or so my clutch started slipping..
so at first i thought i just over heated it and figured id go home and let it cool off..

well i took my bike out now and anytime i roll on hard it totally slips..

did it burn out my clutch from learning to cluch it up?

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
how many kms on bike?

If its a 99, odds are good you did just that.

One of the stunters should have a definite answer to this.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i got about 17 or so on the bike.. and since im just learning to clutch it i am always fighting myself to not ride the clutch...

ok so ive never gone into my bike yet.. whats involved in a clutch swap?

is it just the friction plates that go? i think its finally time to get a manual for it

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
First time around for a clutch you can usually get away with frictions and just cleaning/scuffing the steels. The correct way would be new steels, frictions and new springs.

·
Registered
819 Posts
They can check the tension on the springs to see if they need replacing.

I've never replaced metal clutch plates. Replace the fibers, check the spring tension and away you go. Unless the metal plates are scored or deformed in shape they're fine.

Clutches can/will last a long time until you start to abuse them. Then they go away really quick.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
try adjusting the cable where it mounts to the engine or it might have an adjuster on the cable. Adjust it until you have a bit of slack at the lever. The little roller adjuster at the clutch should be moved all the way back before you do this.

If you take it apart check the steels for warpage, just pinch 2 together in one spot then flip one over and pinch again. If they spread apart there warped. If there OK then

Fork out $105 for new fibres.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks for all the help guys... when i was at work i put some slack in the cable and it looks like bill was right.. works fine after that.. sweet saved me a few bucks

5thgear said:
try adjusting the cable where it mounts to the engine or it might have an adjuster on the cable. Adjust it until you have a bit of slack at the lever. The little roller adjuster at the clutch should be moved all the way back before you do this.

If you take it apart check the steels for warpage, just pinch 2 together in one spot then flip one over and pinch again. If they spread apart there warped. If there OK then

Fork out $105 for new fibres.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so seems like everytime i go out and practce i have to adjust my cable.. and its basicly out of cable..

is my clutch just dead? is it just bad clutch technique.. could it be that im trying to many too quick and im heating up my clutch too much and its burning it up because of that?

last year before i put my bike away i never really had trouble with this? but i wasnt trying much..

ive only been out 4 times this year.. and went out practicing atleast 10 times before i put my bike away

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Obviously your techinque is hard on clutches if it's wearing that fast. Sounds like every time you clutch it up you just blow about 5000 kms of normal use. I typically only need to adjust my own cable for this about once every 5000 to 7000 kms. But then I'm not doing wheelies.

If you want to wheelie then pay the price and get a new pack?

You may be able to adjust the cable for a bit more use down by the clutch arm. There should be a couple of nuts there to play with (NO COMMENTS :D) but obviously the clutch pack is on it's last days if you're at the limits of both the upper and lower cable adjusters.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
sounds like you need to go see Bill for some lessons on how to get the bike up using more body weight shift than horsepower and clutch ....or keep frying your clutch and see Bill later...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts