BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ladies!

I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys. I'm in the market for a new bike and have settled on the Suzuki sv650. However, I'm undecided on whether to pick up the naked or sport version. I LOVE the look of the naked, but I have reservations regarding comfort (particularly in the shoulder and wrist region). My previous (learner) bike was a Suzuki Bandit 600s, which, while a good bike, was simply too long and too much reach from the seat to the handle bars for my 5'4" frame. Does anyone have any experience riding a 650n who's around my size? Or even in regards to the wind, if they found it uncomfortable on long rides (I ride a combination of urban riding and highway roads quite frequently). Some have found the wind resistance, due to your high upright stance on this bike, to be awkward in the wind. Any thoughts or opinions? Or if maybe the sport version might just be best overall (as you can relax on the tank on those longer rides and the wind resistance isn't as great).

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. I have sat on both but the opportunity to take one out isn't available yet.

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Oops, ban hammer :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's really helpful to know!

Do you find that, when riding at highway speeds for extended periods of time (3-4 hours say) that the wind force gets uncomfortable at all body wise, maybe from being pushed around a bit?

·
BannedSpammer
3,339 Posts
It means he probably said something snarky originally and edited his statement for fear of the banhammer coming down on him. You can ignore it.
I think he actually said it because men are not allowed to post here in the womens forum. Which you have also done. And now me. However, I was posting for an actual helpful reason, so,

**please don't ban me I'm just trying to be helpful**

Have you considered a Ducati Monster 696? They have a very low standover height, and can be made even lower with the Ducati low seat. Similar bikes to the SV650n in terms of power and riding position. They are a popular choice with women due to their height. Quite a bit lower than an SV650. I ride one myself and have had to take measures to make it taller (since I'm 6'2).

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have actually considered a Ducati....it's my "when I'm a good enough rider" bike, lol. I'm only in my second season and still want to learn a bit more, plus I've heard the sv is easier (and cheaper) to tinker with, which I want to be able to do on my own before stepping in the "big leagues".

With the sv, its not so much the height to the seat that I'm concerned with, its the reach to the handle bars and if its too much of a reach for a shorter female. This was the problem I had with my first bike and ended up stretched out over the gas tank with all my weight on my wrists and shoulders (really sucked for longer trips).

I'm going to take a look at a naked AND a sport tonight, '03 and '04 respectively, both 3500. Seems a reasonable price

....and keep dreaming about the Ducati :)

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Moved to General since it is less work to do than Banning the men posting in the Women's forum.
Lazy Day :)

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
I have actually considered a Ducati....it's my "when I'm a good enough rider" bike, lol. I'm only in my second season and still want to learn a bit more, plus I've heard the sv is easier (and cheaper) to tinker with, which I want to be able to do on my own before stepping in the "big leagues".

With the sv, its not so much the height to the seat that I'm concerned with, its the reach to the handle bars and if its too much of a reach for a shorter female. This was the problem I had with my first bike and ended up stretched out over the gas tank with all my weight on my wrists and shoulders (really sucked for longer trips).

I'm going to take a look at a naked AND a sport tonight, '03 and '04 respectively, both 3500. Seems a reasonable price

....and keep dreaming about the Ducati :)
Did you get the SV (naked or sport)?

·
Green
2,290 Posts
The SV is a great bike. A great bike to learn performance riding, tinkering, everything you have mentioned.

I sold mine to a small woman. With some risers on the bars she was just peachy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 5'2" and the reach to the bars was too much for me on the SV650, pulled my feet further off the ground than my first bike. I ended up getting an Monster 620 for my first bike and it was far more comfortable for me. I ended up selling it after outriding the stock set up after deciding I didn't want to throw any money into it to get some high pipes. Ended up getting a Monster 900 and I've done quite a few kilometers (485 or so) on it in a day. The wind can be a pain on long, straight, stretches after awhile. Overall, I've just gotten used to not having one, never had so I don't know what I'm missing, right?

Good luck choosing! Both bikes are a hoot! I know I love mine!

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Don't know why sv650s are supposed to be awesome bc I tried one and I did not enjoy the feel. I have a Kawi 650R which is very nice and comfy, but it is top heavy. I'm 168cm (that's 5'6" for you people who refuse to convert). (=

1 - 15 of 15 Posts