BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Port Moody and work downtown. When I start riding to work I will be taking the Barnet Hwy but not sure of the route to take once I reach Hastings.

I was thinking about cutting around a lot of the Hastings traffic by taking Oxford St. to North Skeena and then meeting up with McGill. Then again McGill/Renfrew can get crazy too.

Does anyone have the same commute? Any suggestions for a more bike-friendly route?

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i ride downtown from burnaby regularly. i go mcgill dundas powell, thru gastown. there is a bit of traffic around the mohawk station, simply because of a small amount of parking from there to the auto body shops, but after that it is usually clear. i can be from lougheed and kensington to my work in about 10-15 mins on a good day.
 

·
Mmm...beer
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
I drove in this morning from Coquitlam on the Barnet, depending on what time you leave it flows really well. And remember, you can use the HOV lane on the Barnet and on Hastings.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.

I took the bike to work today. It was sooo nice taking the HOV lanes. And when I got to work I almost burst into a horrible rendition of 'I'm in a mood for love' by Louie Armstrong. I just kept smiling the whole day. I did a countdown to quitting time, checked on my bike about 12 times through out the day and kept checking the weather reports for the weekend.

I'm ALIVE, mwhahaha! :flashy
 

·
huh?!??!
Joined
·
129 Posts
taita said:
I was thinking about cutting around a lot of the Hastings traffic by taking Oxford St. to North Skeena and then meeting up with McGill. Then again McGill/Renfrew can get crazy too.
right now there's construction along parts of oxford, cambridge and eton...gets a little crazy with the cars weaving in and out with the detours. if you go that way, be careful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
doug said:
i ride downtown from burnaby regularly. i go mcgill dundas powell, thru gastown. there is a bit of traffic around the mohawk station, simply because of a small amount of parking from there to the auto body shops, but after that it is usually clear..
I hear ya about the little traffic jams just around the Mohawk station.

If it's bad traffic, and you want to save a little more time, you can also (immediately after the sharp left hand curve off McGill than turns into Nanaimo) take a right turn into the neighbourhoods to get away from the main street. Travel past all the stopsigns to the end and hang a left. After a couple speedbumps, you'll end up getting to the Mohawk station through a little backroad and you'll come right to the mouth of where the traffic jam starts. Merge in from the gasstation drive way and you've just saved yourself 5 minutes of stop and go.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jason, i find the only way to combat the congestion in that area is lane splitting the parked cars. you do it 3 or 4 times from that first set of lights to just after the lights between the pub and the body shops. usually you can get ahead of about 50 cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
doug said:
jason, i find the only way to combat the congestion in that area is lane splitting the parked cars. you do it 3 or 4 times from that first set of lights to just after the lights between the pub and the body shops. usually you can get ahead of about 50 cars.
that is what I have been 'seeing'
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually go down hastings and then bust a right at renfrew and go onto dundas....

if there is crazy traffic you could also bust a right where capitol hill school is and take the back roads, all the way past boundary down trinity and under the tunnels to mcgill.... and then onto dundas (although weaving around might end up taking a considerable amount of time, only good if u wanna ride with less traffic)

on the way back I usually take venables to vic, then onto hastings. and if really packed, I'd go on parker from boundary
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top