BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The entire motor vehicle act is being reviewed and fines are being looked at.

Includes new points for texting and driving.

Please accept this as a contribution to the website.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Points were already issued for texting while talking was fine only.

On Oct 20th,
It's points for talking, programming gps, audio devices and texting

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not anymore. adjusting your DVD player is a fine and 3 points.

rgm500 will chime in on this in the next few years hopefully

·
Registered
806 Posts
Interesting Sidenote... Licensed Ham Radio operators (like myself) are still allowed to use mobile and handheld amateur radio equipment while driving (subject to some rules obviously).
In fact, TECHNICALLY, I could install a laptop in my vehicle and use that while on the move so long as it was linked to my radio-communication equipment and was being used for that purpose only.
Still not allowed to use phones, GPS, dvd, etc though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Interesting Sidenote... Licensed Ham Radio operators (like myself) are still allowed to use mobile and handheld amateur radio equipment while driving (subject to some rules obviously).
In fact, TECHNICALLY, I could install a laptop in my vehicle and use that while on the move so long as it was linked to my radio-communication equipment and was being used for that purpose only.
Still not allowed to use phones, GPS, dvd, etc though.
I am also a HAM and have heard this. Do you have anything to reference that makes this legitimate? There is probably something in the Industry Canada's radio communication regulations but does that overpower the provinces MVA?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd assume because it is a radio..

as radios am/fm/cd's etc aren't affected by the new laws neither would ham/cb.

·
GSX R600 K9
1,848 Posts
A one button function is allowed. Like answering your call via bluetooth, keying your mic. Fiddling with a laptop is not allowed.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
is there one for reading a book while driving?

eating a breakfast?

applying make up?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I thought secured devices were allowed, I have a secured phone on my handlebars thus this configuration enables me to text and corner.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
is there one for reading a book while driving?

eating a breakfast?

applying make up?
Good point. And while we are on this topic, it appears the law is discouraging anything that requires the use of one hand. With that logic, you can add the following:

Attending to a child
Smoking a cigarette
Picking your nose
Scratching your balls

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!!!! EACH TIME I SEE DAYLIGHT BETWEEN YORU HADN AND THE WHEEL THATS $167

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
Good point. And while we are on this topic, it appears the law is discouraging anything that requires the use of one hand. With that logic, you can add the following:

Attending to a child
Smoking a cigarette
Picking your nose
Scratching your balls

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!!!! EACH TIME I SEE DAYLIGHT BETWEEN YORU HADN AND THE WHEEL THATS $167
I expect the spirit of the law will be as intended, for texting/phone use, and will likely be in obvious situations.......they are plentiful.

This is no different then when people started speculating about getting stunting tickets on your motorcycle for standing up and stretching your legs.

Texting is REALLY obvious, and there are SO SO many who do it, should be easy pickins.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I expect the spirit of the law will be as intended, for texting/phone use, and will likely be in obvious situations.......they are plentiful.

This is no different then when people started speculating about getting stunting tickets on your motorcycle for standing up and stretching your legs.

Texting is REALLY obvious, and there are SO SO many who do it, should be easy pickins.
Exactly... I will still eat my muffin and drive.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
What bugs me the most is that there already was/is a ticket for all of it. Driving without care. For some reason cops, law makers, etc didnt give a single fuck about it unless you were speeding and crashed.

Now all of a sudden they care... it smells like... bovine feces when i hear it is about "safety" and not revenue generation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What bugs me the most is that there already was/is a ticket for all of it. Driving without care. For some reason cops, law makers, etc didnt give a single fuck about it unless you were speeding and crashed.

Now all of a sudden they care... it smells like... bovine feces when i hear it is about "safety" and not revenue generation.
My thoughts exactly, what happened to the "driving without care or attention" law that gets you 6 points? the should top that off with a $500 minimum fine, if they are gonna generate revenue....... make it worth it. $167 didn't stop anyone before, why would it stop anyone now!!

·
Registered
89 Posts

If safety was their motivation instead of catering to the "popular myths" they would have spent less time focusing on dishing out speeding tickets instead of the real causes.
If I was a cop I could on any given day drive across Vancouver for one hour and dish out a least a dozen tickets and not one would be for speed.

·
41 over!
1,261 Posts
Exactly... I will still eat my muffin and drive.
You're into that too, eh? I feel better about my deviant tendencies.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts