BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if its cheaper to run a vehicle off Natural Gas or Propane or is it just "greener"?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Compared to modern fuel injection it is not greener, and is it still cheaper but only after you put on enough miles to pay for the system that costs about 5-6K to install on a new vehicle. Also natural gas is very hard to find now as the demand is very low.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It's cheaper because the government isn't taxing it as much, that's all. If they decide to pull the exemption, it'll be more expensive. And natural gas prices are going through the roof.

Me, I'd look at a diesel engine conversion, that can run biodiesel. Definately cleaner, better mileage, longer lasting engines. And if fuel prices do go bananas, biodiesel won't go up in price as much. In fact, the co-op I buy it from has kept dropping it's prices consistently as we've gotten our volume up. It's cheaper to buy than regular gas now.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
psyclone said:
Anybody know if its cheaper to run a vehicle off Natural Gas or Propane or is it just "greener"?

Natural gas burns cleaner than gasoline, no doubt about it.
Both propane and NG are also easier on the vehicle-if the conversion is done right.
It is cheaper to run propane-I know from experience. Especially now, that the gasoline is going up.
If you're self employed, I'd suggest propane conversion. It's cheap and stations are more common than NG.
Also, with an account with SuperSave or Superior etc, you get $0.05 off at the pump, AND you can claim the GST back, so with the propane price of 0.65/L right now, you'd be in reality paying under 0.60/L so almost half the price of gasoline.

If you have a well done conversion, you van fuel efficiency will not go up by more than 10-15%.
So even with a slightly lower mileage, it's still worth to convert to propane-especially if you drive alot.
And environmental friendlines is a nice side bonus.
GO FOR IT!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts