BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
gix4life
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the signs are of oil being present in the coolant, and how likely is this to happen to a newer bike thats never had any problems before. After coming home from a ride the other day i looked in the reserve and noticed some white stringy shit floating around in the reserve. I know the coolant could def use a flush, but is it lookin that way cause its old or could there be oil in there?

·
gix4life
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my friend who said it might be oil in the coolant said that it 's not like when moisture mixes with oil, so prob not moisture in the coolant. i'm hoping its just dirty and needs a flush, or maybe its looking like that cause i haven't been riding it as much even though this week i managed to get out three times.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,084 Posts
White stringy shit??? someone blew a load in ur rad...was it good for you???

hahahah

no really. if the coolant is milky it usually is oil getting in there....or if it is old coolant it is just the additives separating...

however check ur oil window and see if that oil has gone milky...it only takes a small amount of water to change the oil...

·
gix4life
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White stringy shit??? someone blew a load in ur rad...was it good for you???

hahahah

no really. if the coolant is milky it usually is oil getting in there....or if it is old coolant it is just the additives separating...

however check ur oil window and see if that oil has gone milky...it only takes a small amount of water to change the oil...
you would almost think somebody did blow a load in there, might have to do some dna testing a la csi. the oil through the glass looks ok, no milky stuff there. the coolant does look a bit on the older side. its def not neon green but more of a darker green.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Check the reservoir bottle itself, is there a oil residue around the outside of it? Often times you can even see oil 'bubbles' floating in the coolant. Drain the coolant and the oil and replace, give yourself a fresh starting point. Look for coolant in the oil catch pan when you drain it as well.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Blown head gaskets show no favourites when it comes to age or mileage. It's mostly about how the bike was ridden and often just luck of the draw.

I third or fourth the idea of starting from scratch. YOu're looking for milkiness (as in actually white'ish) and drops of oil that separate and float on the surface in the pan. If you have that then it sounds serious. You won't need to drain it to see this either. Just pull the rad cap off and use a flashlight. The oil is lighter and floats to the top so it'll tend to gather at the highest point. And that's the rad cap.

If it's just brown and grungy then that's just old age. Drain, flush with water (garden hose)and refill with new coolant and water mixture.

·
es ist orange und bellt
1,785 Posts
A safe an enviro friendly coolant flush is to disolve some automatic dish washer detergent in a cup and then pour it into your rad and fill with clean water. Run the bike for 15 minutes then flush out...good as new! Make sure all the old coolant has been drained first.

·
es ist orange und bellt
1,785 Posts
Some times a sludge will build up in the rad from flux used to manufacture the rads and this will show up as a brown or black goo....it leaves a dirt ring like the one in your bath tub.

·
gix4life
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
even though the coolant was dirty i found that just flushing it out with the garden hose was enough to clean it out. i searched the word coolant in this forum and found that a lot of ppl posted not to use any type of rad flush with bikes. can't say i've ever heard of flushing it out with dissolved dish washer detergent, but i'll keep it in mind next time i change the coolant. thx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.