BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some pushback against riding a motorcycle during these 'special times'. The explanation is that the increased risk of riding places extra demand on the medical system, should you crash or be taken out by a car driver. Yet, I hear no shaming going on with regard to hiking, mountain biking or street bicycling, horse riding, or indeed sitting at home eating/drinking and sitting in front of the tv, cause there's nothing to do, causing increased risk of heart attack.

Thoughts?.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,812 Posts
yes, that cold and nekkid walk through the streets, pelted with produce and other ... organic material...
woe unto those who bare the burden and social stigma of riding motorcycles in the modern age! we are the true victims of this situation!

yeap. numerous instances of this 'issue' impacting all activities across all walks of life, including all those you mention.
Cyclists, hikers, equestrian enthusiasts... all are impacted, and advised to balance health activity with the prescribed social distancing. Take a look around, all those communities are talking about it too.

we're not under full and proper lockdown - yet. I'd think motorcycling should be fine - so long as you head away from the city centers, stay away from group rides, and avoid the standard coffee-stop-shit-shooting

Don't listen to Karens. any shame you're currently experiencing ... is self imposed.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,812 Posts
that's not a shaming, that's a pep-talk!

'go ride if you want to' - duh

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
yeh i think if you're willing to keep an eye on what you touch, helmet hygiene and all that good stuff its probably OK to venture out for a ride or two. I wont be doing long rides during the 1st couple of months but i'll put the bike on the road. Already working on it.

i havent seen any of this 'public shaming' against bikers per-se. I'm sure there's
folks out there who love to shit on others life choices but since i never listened to
them i'm not about to start.

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,518 Posts
It seems get outside is the normal answer people have about how to keep busy with everything else shut down.
Or stay in and binge watch TV only to take a five minute break at 7pm to bang on your pots and pans.

I have opted for the motorcycle on all sunny days, it's easy to stay two metres apart from anyone else on the road.
I've put over 1,200 kms on six sunny weather riding days in two weeks, stopping only for photos and fuel.
Noticed that urban areas have lower traffic, so that makes for a quicker escape to the good stuff.
The rural areas have lots more people out in the parks and beaches, cycling, hiking, walking dogs.

I haven't heard shaming, just "stay safe you don't want to have an accident and have to go to emergency right now" this message came from some very caring ladies.
Pretty much everyone has said don't touch the gas pump.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,812 Posts
Trumpian shame walk-back. You should be ashamed.
you're right - time to repent. I'll see you in church. We have to get down on our knees and pray to the old gods that we may one day be able to ride again. Be sure to drink the preachers' jeezuz-juice, it's the only proven cure that works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems get outside is the normal answer people have about how to keep busy with everything else shut down.
Or stay in and binge watch TV only to take a five minute break at 7pm to bang on your pots and pans.

I have opted for the motorcycle on all sunny days, it's easy to stay two metres apart from anyone else on the road.
I've put over 1,200 kms on six sunny weather riding days in two weeks, stopping only for photos and fuel.
Noticed that urban areas have lower traffic, so that makes for a quicker escape to the good stuff.
The rural areas have lots more people out in the parks and beaches, cycling, hiking, walking dogs.

I haven't heard shaming, just "stay safe you don't want to have an accident and have to go to emergency right now" this message came from some very caring ladies.
Pretty much everyone has said don't touch the gas pump.
More power to you, Smoke. Been doing the same thing on nice sunny days. Ride up to the Chilliwack River, Cultus Lake, Harrison Lake and sit there by myself soaking up the sun and getting some fresh air. Whats wrong with that?
Cheers

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
hey guys, FYI, take it with a grain of salt regarding our fave hobby, but this was released TODAY.

No more travel within B.C.

Health officials also warned against tourism and other non-essential travel in British Columbia to protect small communities.

"There are many of our smaller communities concerned about people coming to vacation homes and I am asking people now to forego those types of travel," said Henry.

She said those communities are particularly at risk if they experience outbreaks because they have access to fewer resources.

Health Minister Adrian Dix also reminded travellers returning to B.C. that they are required to self-isolate for 14 days as per federal and provincial orders.

"We need, as always, 100 per cent of people to follow the rules, especially those coming back to Canada in the days and weeks to come."

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
More power to you, Smoke. Been doing the same thing on nice sunny days. Ride up to the Chilliwack River, Cultus Lake, Harrison Lake and sit there by myself soaking up the sun and getting some fresh air. Whats wrong with that?
Cheers
Saint Nick, you back? In a different guise?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys, FYI, take it with a grain of salt regarding our fave hobby, but this was released TODAY.

No more travel within B.C.

Health officials also warned against tourism and other non-essential travel in British Columbia to protect small communities.

"There are many of our smaller communities concerned about people coming to vacation homes and I am asking people now to forego those types of travel," said Henry.

She said those communities are particularly at risk if they experience outbreaks because they have access to fewer resources.

Health Minister Adrian Dix also reminded travellers returning to B.C. that they are required to self-isolate for 14 days as per federal and provincial orders.

"We need, as always, 100 per cent of people to follow the rules, especially those coming back to Canada in the days and weeks to come."

I get the small community worries. i've got an elderly aunt in Bella Coola, and they have a sort of civil guard roaming the bottom of the 'hill', checking all incoming private vehicles.
Snow in the passes eliminate riding out of Metro lower mainland in this late departure of winter. I guess I just don't want any kind of confrontation from any 'social police-person'.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Snow in the passes eliminate riding out of Metro lower mainland in this late departure of winter. I guess I just don't want any kind of confrontation from any 'social police-person'.
i'm not so much worried about PC folks wanting to get in your face, but in the smaller communities
i can see the POPO being a little more vigilant. Considering the much smaller medical services
available, they could take it upon themselves to enforce new social distancing rules. Its still unclear
how far they can go to do this.

ahh, well i guess we have our answer:

B.C. closes camping, day services at provincial parks for COVID-19
Mar. 24, 2020 12:50 p.m
Campsites, visitor centres, playgrounds, washrooms and day-use facilities are closed as of March 24 in most B.C. provincial parks as the province continues to increase restrictions for the COVID-19 pandemic.

The closures extend to the end of April at least. The B.C. environment ministry made the decision after seeing an increase in visitors, with many people not complying with Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry’s directives on maintaining physical distance to avoid transmitting the novel coronavirus.

Complete park closures are being considered on a case-by-case basis as health officials look to prevent people from gathering in large numbers, particularly at beaches.

Full closures by B.C. Parks are already in effect at French Beach, Goldstream, Gowlland Tod, Juan de Fuca, Liard River Hot Springs, Maquinna Marine, Joffre Lakes, Murrin, Shannon Falls, Skaha Bluffs, Stawamus Chief and Ancient Forest Provincial Park near Prince George.

·
Registered
18,866 Posts
People are fickle. Unless you spell things out specifically, they always find a personal exemption or workaround that they find acceptable.

Case in point - Vancouver closing parks. For pretty obvious reasons. So what do a section of people do? They take their kids and pets out for a walk, in a cemetery instead. Captain oblivious can't grasp the "stuff is closed stay home", they have to find another solution - until that too must be closed off to stop their creative minds at circumventing what is going on.

It doesn't matter what they say you should do here. I think people should do the maximum possible without having to be completely directed. They are asking people to stay at home (insert - in or on your property) and to only go out for essential things. Things might be - going to work and social distancing. If your employer isn't complying, then reporting them for running an unsafe workplace and risking your health, and others around you. Then use your common sense, send 1 person a week to the store to buy necessities. And sure, take a walk in your community, take your pet out for a quick.

This isn't the time to be riding your motorcycle to Hope and back on a sightseeing tour. It's a national and provincial state of emergency. It's unprecedented. It's not EI staycation to recreate around the province.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Some of these measures sound a little extreme to someone who has been deemed an essential service so is still working full time in a workplace where countless people come and go. I have no option to protect myself through isolation, just through good hygiene and distancing measures when/where possible. Unfortunately for me I am only on the cusp of insuring my bike, been to miserable weatherwise in my area of the north okanagan still. But when I do I'll be riding it around locally as well as riding it to and from work. I won't be travelling on it but will be using it.

I guess from my perspective of what my exposure/risk level is, riding a motorcycle around seems like little to no risk vs what I am doing 40-50hrs a week already.

·
Registered
593 Posts
And before anyone asks no I'm not in healthcare or emergency services. As far as I can tell my 'service' is essential only to the economy which I'm glad for because all of these measures (read spending) being done by our governments are going to cost us a shit ton of money as far as I can tell. So like I've done my whole life I'll happily contribute to the greater good. I'm happy to still be working, contributing, and moving forward. Not begrudgingly going to work muttering about how I'd rather stay home.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
People are fickle. Unless you spell things out specifically, they always find a personal exemption or workaround that they find acceptable.
this is what i'm seeing as well, but they've made it clear its not an 'order' and we know the reasons for 'social distancing' rules is because you stand a chance of getting / spreading the virus around if you're going about as per normal life. But again, it doesnt mean its just floating about in the air and you're fucked if you take a deep breath. Its not exactly a 'lock-down'. I probably run a higher risk of being infected by taking a walk in the local park, and thats something they've actually encouraged, sanity is also a big part of staying healthy.

assuming a biker is automatically spreading this shit all over the place by merely going for a quick scoot within the lower mainland is a little far fetched. Specially if said biker takes precautions when getting gas. We're not talking a group ride or anything like that. I dont think "Frisbee golf" is gonna be a big hit this spring.

a little common sense goes a long way, meaning i wouldnt exactly be planning a weekend over-nighter to Penticton. I was actually mostly thinking of those who would consider 'camping' in order to avoid a random Motel. Thats the only reason i even posted the above quoted material.

Some of these measures sound a little extreme to someone who has been deemed an essential service so is still working full time in a workplace where countless people come and go. I have no option to protect myself through isolation, just through good hygiene and distancing measures when/where possible.
yep, this is exactly what we were discussing with a good friend of mine. Both our industries are considered 'essential service'. The company I work for has been given guidelines we are expected to follow, but for the most part our technicians / installers already work on their own as is. The department I work under and type of work I do means we cant just shut down for a few weeks. This takes into consideration most people are 'staying home', including large residential buildings.

Some active construction sites our installers work in will not be able to comply and they'll have to take a hiatus but I have not heard anything crazy. My 'machinist' friend is still commuting to / from work and observing social distancing rules within the work-place. They cant shut down. We are not in 'health-care' either but as you say, essential services doesnt mean everybody but cops and medics should stay home. Several industries are in place that offer services the local economy depends on to thrive and we are 'required' if the province wants to come out the other end on this one.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
A little perspective may help. Copy / paste

How to cope with the ‘new normal’ of COVID-19 lockdowns
Posted April 1, 2020 6:24 pm

Clinical psychologist Michelle Kimble says with the shocking first weeks of the pandemic’s arrival in Canada now over, people are looking for ways to process feelings of both hyper-vigilance and exhaustion. “Now we’ve been at home for a very long time with our partners, with our children and we’re also now very, very deeply aware of the level of trauma and the level of loss,” she said.“ So there’s almost a collective grief that we’re all experiencing.

Stay active, stay focused
More than ever, Kimble said, people need to focus on basic self care, including getting enough sleep and enough exercise. There’s a wealth of workout, yoga, meditation and mindfulness resources available online, she said, many of them free.

Going for a walk, a bike ride, or a hike is another way to stay both mentally and physically healthy — provided you can maintain two meters of distance from others.

i'll just leave this right here :cool:

·
Registered
18,866 Posts
I'm not concerned I would catch something or pass it on riding around. I am concerned that if I crash and
the wahmbulance shows up, it's attendants might infect me.

I'll pass and do activities that give me the lowest possible chance of having to engage their services, talk to a soul, touch a gas pump,doorknob or even an item at the grocery store. I'm well prepped to stay alone for a long period of time with the least amount of risk. That is my comfort zone.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts