BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
considering some / most accidents happen close to home / work during normal commuting.

i doubt a 1 - 2 hour ride poses any actual increased risk, specially if half the lower mainland
isnt clogging up the freeways.. I once rode without a helmet in Colorado, my own fear that
'something' would happen was way worse than the actual riding.

folks have different levels of 'comfort zone', but stretching things out to 3 or 4 levels of 'oh,
i really fvcked up this time, is a little too panicky for me. What, was the stretcher handle
contaminated? lol

Hell i injured my foot walking down an alley way. Yep, walking! :eek:

still, i got up this morning and went downstairs to get some grub.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Use common sense, keep your distance and practice proper hygiene. I'll still be on the motorcycle and bicycle since we are getting some nice weather now, very little traffic out here. Cheers

good to see you on here again! hope you're well, be nice to go for a ride this summer..

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I rode my pedal bike around Van City Saturday, easily staying away from everyone. What I saw was an eye opener. The street zombies normally found along Hastings, and allys, have migrated now into the deserted Gastown. I actually spotted a tent/camp set up along Steamworks. Boarded up buildings because of huge increase in break ins. Police cars everywhere. Camera towers set up in Chinatown to 'observe'. This is going to change the urban neighbourhoods if this economic shut down goes on for much longer. Closed bankrupted small businesses take the life out of an urban community.

Rode the motorbike on a test ride Sunday, to check out maintenance work I'd done in the winter. Went to Brittania and back. With the empty roads, I was the slowest vehicle out there, seriously. In fact I saw something I've only ever seen in NorCal. I was running eastbound Hwy 1 in the HOV lane, indicated 65mph [yeah, old bike] out of nowhere an RCMP BMW 1200RT cruiser passes me, lights on, and proceeds to do big left and right moves to shut down the speed of all 3 lanes, who were all doing 20+ kms faster than me. Something to see!!

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I rode my pedal bike around Van City Saturday, easily staying away from everyone. What I saw was an eye opener. The street zombies normally found along Hastings, and allys, have migrated now into the deserted Gastown. I actually spotted a tent/camp set up along Steamworks. Boarded up buildings because of huge increase in break ins. Police cars everywhere. Camera towers set up in Chinatown to 'observe'. This is going to change the urban neighbourhoods if this economic shut down goes on for much longer. Closed bankrupted small businesses take the life out of an urban community.
hence why the industry / company i work for are considered 'essential services'.. :D

this year was / is supposed to be a big year for systems upgrade.. things may slow down in
the short run, but the long game will surely require a certain level of commitment.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
And more, many more places, I walk everywhere downtown, the zombie hive has spread out.
Big time! After this bat soup flu quarantine slows down, it's going to be a big job to herd them out of traditional tourist and non drug addicted areas. Or could it be like the way Van City council works, just submit another area permanently to them.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
200kms of valley backroads this afternoon, in the isolation of my helmet. FT Langley east to Matsqui and back. not exactly legendary... but so good to ride... many, many bikes out; also great numbers of cyclists, and many walkers. what a beautiful spring day!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm finally on the road up here in the north okanagan. Saw lots of bikes out yesterday on Hwy 6. I wasn't heading far out still pretty chilly in the mountains. Did a small local loop out by Lumby. First couple of rides under my belt on my fz1 now pretty happy with the upgrade from my cbr f4i.

Today is super windy and cold though kind of disappointing, might still get a short jaunt in.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,263 Posts
I'm finally on the road up here in the north okanagan. Saw lots of bikes out yesterday on Hwy 6. I wasn't heading far out still pretty chilly in the mountains. Did a small local loop out by Lumby. First couple of rides under my belt on my fz1 now pretty happy with the upgrade from my cbr f4i.

Today is super windy and cold though kind of disappointing, might still get a short jaunt in.
Since we're in the same neck of the woods... can you suggest any local~ish areas that would be a good place to walk/run the dog? When I lived in the lower mainland I'd frequently go to the dikes along the river(s) in Pitt Meadows. Lots of well behaved, off-leash dogs, water access, long trails with few people, etc. Having a surprisingly difficult time finding something similar in/around Vernon.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not sure really. I live out in Lavington and have my own 11acres mostly walk my dogs around my own property. Even when I head off it's pretty chill and quiet. When I lived in the north bx I used to go to the walking trails at the base of the hill. Grey canal I think? Or bx dog park. Both places though I ran into problems with aggressive off leash dogs.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,263 Posts
Not sure really. I live out in Lavington and have my own 11acres mostly walk my dogs around my own property. Even when I head off it's pretty chill and quiet. When I lived in the north bx I used to go to the walking trails at the base of the hill. Grey canal I think? Or bx dog park. Both places though I ran into problems with aggressive off leash dogs.
We're in the Foothills, so right across from North BX. Have explored the areas you've mentioned - decent most of the time, but not quite what I'm after. Thanks in any case!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I used to live just up the hill from you. On Chew just past keddleston. Moved about ten years ago but still rent my place up there out, may move back one day. Dixon dam used to be a good area too. But not sure how blocked off access is now since they built all the properties up around there. Might be worth checking out though, end of Dixon dam Rd. Used to be fantastic access to a endless trail riding system that you could ride up to Becker, Bardolf, noble canyon, even right over to Lumby if you wanted. Hartnell rd used to be the other way to access up into that trail system from that side but like I said not to sure how blocked off everything is. Living where I do in Lavington I ride up noble canyon to access that area now.

Back when I lived up on Chew you could drive right up to the old dam area up Dixon dam Rd and I used to run my dog up there lots. I'm fairly certain it's blocked to motorized traffic now though.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I am concerned that if I crash and the wahmbulance shows up, it's attendants might infect me.

I'll pass and do activities that give me the lowest possible chance of having to engage their services, talk to a soul, touch a gas pump,doorknob or even an item at the grocery store. I'm well prepped to stay alone for a long period of time with the least amount of risk. That is my comfort zone.
sorry it took some time to update with actual data, but this is what some of us feared..
Apparently doctors have noticed, and are sounding alarms. Vancouver Sun just released
this story, here it is on youtube for yah

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have no intention of curtailing my riding activities. I should mention that my riding style has slowed and become more conservative post 59. Riding styles within the BCSportbike could be considered testosterone fueled spirited at the best of times. In fact, those proposing total shutdown of motorcycling on this forum are well remembered by me as full gonk-show crash laden crazy riders, so yeah, maybe a good call for them personally. Heck, i just laughed outloud Sunday travelling at indicated 105km/hr in well known radar country on hwy1 , couple of sperm laden squiddlies on CBRGIXERS passed me on the right shoulder at easily a buck-75. . At least if they hit something they won't need emergency, just a big bag for the contents.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've never seen so many bikes as I have lately. Partially due to some warm weather finally and folk not working.

I've been doing some short jaunts within gas tank range. Have a couple jerry cans at home I can top up bikes with. I don't want to deal with gas pumps any more than necessary. I've got a new 4 wheeled toy keeping me interested for a bit so motorbikes are on the back burner.

Sadly, touring is out of the question for some time. I'm no spring chicken and although my health is excellent I have no desire to play russian roulette with covid.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
At least if they hit something they won't need emergency, just a big bag for the contents.
yes, for a certain % of the riding population, merely starting the engine poses a high health risk..

Darwin at his best. :D

Sadly, touring is out of the question for some time. I'm no spring chicken and although my health is excellent I have no desire to play russian roulette with covid.
this is the part that hit hard on us this year, had plans to go for a 2 week ride..

looks like i'll have to wait it out till mid/late summer and will be riding in BC only. :(

21 - 40 of 63 Posts