BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Sadly, touring is out of the question for some time. I'm no spring chicken and although my health is excellent I have no desire to play russian roulette with covid.

This is the part that hit hard on us this year, had plans to go for a 2 week ride..
Looks like i'll have to wait it out till mid/late summer and will be riding in BC only. :(
Me too. I had my maps out, and a whole scheme (NM, CO) laid out. Put the maps away last weekend... breaks my heart...

BUT: a couple guys on the FB .604 site have done Hope> Princeton > Merritt and return, and the Duffey (both directions). Pretty darn early for either, especially the Duffey, which was apparently really dusty and gritty, but good on 'em for just getting out and riding! OK, stay conservative and don't put yourself in the hospital, but. really. aside from gas stations, "separation" is what it's all about!

And I too look forward to a slow opening in BC and AB. There's plenty of great riding in the Interior, the Kootenays, the Rockies, etc... I actually thought about riding to Fort MacMurray just to see what oil sands country looks like, before it all closes up with $35 per barrel oil! ;)

Reactions: bacchus40

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"Fort Macmurray".

Wife and I did that on gixxers 15 years ago. Fun enough trip albeit no twisties but it was fun seeing the tarsands.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Me too. I had my maps out, and a whole scheme (NM, CO) laid out. Put the maps away last weekend... breaks my heart...
I have not had a stretched out holiday on the bikes for a while, figured we'd glam-camp Northern California with a trip to Reno / Lake Tahoe to close it all off. Bike on the trailer n' air mattress ready and all..

bummer :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
A massive disappointment for me as well this year. Was really looking forward to getting across the line. Finally got myself a decent touring setup with my new to me fz1. Comfort(comparatively), power, carrying capacity. Just in love with the new ride but all local/commuting riding so far and appears to be for the foreseeable future. Only good news is as I've mentioned I'm right on the doorstep of the best part of hwy6 so will be hitting that up lots, haven't ventured up and over the summit yet though. But soon I've heard there is still lots of gravel everywhere.

Biggest disappointment by far was a planned ride with my dad who lives outside of Toronto he's pushing 50 years of riding(all Harley's)and was for the umpteenth time going to ride his bike across the states to come out and visit. I had planned to meet up with him about halfways or so and ride a couple days with him.

As for corona 'ride shaming' meh, I'm nearly 1k km into my season, I've gotten very good at fueling/pay at the pump with gloves on. With the Bluetooth radar speakers in and my cardo going I haven't heard anyone say anything to me.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yet, I hear no shaming going on with regard to hiking, mountain biking or street bicycling
There's a ton of chatter in the mountain biking community right now about minimizing risk and not requiring a S&R team to extract you. Along with plenty of in-community shaming. So it's not just motorcycling.

And street cyclists get shamed at the best of times.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
^^ interesting, should have expected this.. people are ignorant, nationality doesnt come into play.

I would say down hill mountain biking is probably THE BEST thing you can do to ensure you stay
healthy. And should you be infected, its not gonna be in some back-woods trails..

Chris Cuomo (brother to NY Gov.) got infected and was laying down sick as a dog until a good
friend of a friend recommended the exact opposite.. You want to stay out of the hospital? get
to work.. Excersize, work on breathing, even if it hurts. Get the fever down, and move about.
Lift arms above your head, and breathe.. He did.. and now he's finally out of quarantine.

He was living in the basement of his house for a freaking month fighting this thing.
he was in great shape going in, and still had to fight.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^^ interesting, should have expected this.. people are ignorant, nationality doesnt come into play.

I would say down hill mountain biking is probably THE BEST thing you can do to ensure you stay
healthy. And should you be infected, its not gonna be in some back-woods trails..

Chris Cuomo (brother to NY Gov.) got infected and was laying down sick as a dog until a good
friend of a friend recommended the exact opposite.. You want to stay out of the hospital? get
to work.. Excersize, work on breathing, even if it hurts. Get the fever down, and move about.
Lift arms above your head, and breathe.. He did.. and now he's finally out of quarantine.

He was living in the basement of his house for a freaking month fighting this thing.
he was in great shape going in, and still had to fight.

Mountain biking for sure is a great way to get fresh air away from human interaction. Specific downhill mtn biking is perhaps even more risky than urban street motorcycling to hospital visit injuries, and special team extraction risks, and would I think attract the safety do-gooders.

CNN's Freddo is a laughable idiot who blatantly broke NY State's self quarantine to visit his new house being built away from his "wife's basement", while actually being infected with the bat stew flu. Using his goon as any kind of fodder for your point places you in pure comedy zone #!.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
CNN's Freddo is a laughable idiot who blatantly broke NY State's self quarantine to visit his new house being built away from his "wife's basement", while actually being infected with the bat stew flu. Using his goon as any kind of fodder for your point places you in pure comedy zone #!.
you would be our local poli-sci expert.. i dont delve that deep into others lives, nor find comedy
specially in terms of others being infected. but please, keep the insults flying it sure does wonders for your approval ratings..

was that condescending enough a response? i've been working on my public image. :D

i can now confirm i've wasted some of my morning coffee on reading about this dribble..

interestingly enough the story came out because some 'bicyclist' felt it was his sworn duty to
report his actions to the cops.. oh boy, i guess it is true.. your life really is more interesting than
mine. Well, your reading list is anyway.. ;) :(

considering there's no mention of a divorce or side fling going on, makes me wonder why you give two fucks who buys what, where, and what the living arrangements will be.. Sounds like he was with his wife n' kids at the time, who are also infected apparently. Its just a lot, there is no house yet.

oh, wait.. i forgot:

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
you would be our local poli-sci expert.. i dont delve that deep into others lives, nor find comedy
specially in terms of others being infected. but please, keep the insults flying it sure does wonders for your approval ratings..

was that condescending enough a response? i've been working on my public image. :D

i can now confirm i've wasted some of my morning coffee on reading about this dribble..

interestingly enough the story came out because some 'bicyclist' felt it was his sworn duty to
report his actions to the cops.. oh boy, i guess it is true.. your life really is more interesting than
mine. Well, your reading list is anyway.. ;) :(

considering there's no mention of a divorce or side fling going on, makes me wonder why you give two fucks who buys what, where, and what the living arrangements will be.. Sounds like he was with his wife n' kids at the time, who are also infected apparently. Its just a lot, there is no house yet.

oh, wait.. i forgot:

LOLOL, good morning!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I gave up mountain biking......due to injury.

Sold my f4i today pretty stoked about that during these covid times.

Been getting lots of riding time in so happy to be done with winter just wish travelling was more of a possibility. Pretty disappointed to not be able to cross the line, or even travel in province. Maybe late season? This shit needs to get sorted and be done with.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
if you want a look at the crystal ball, non-essential biz will start rolling out in June, with everybody back in mid July most likely, but others are paid right to end of July, so August will be busy.. This does not mean we will be able to fully relax, but if you want to get out and enjoy the usual sights, there's gonna be restaurants open, motels n' such... you'll just have to keep your distance from others, so that means, pack / pick-up a lunch and pick little known hideouts. i'm planning on doing some camping. Running water so i can sanitize & pre-packed canned food is all i need.

when we're out on the road, its just about staying healthy, wash hands often and carry basic tools.

congratulations on the sale.. We need to be thankful for the hard work our medical staff continues to do, and keep in mind its only temporary, even if its a bit of a long haul. stay strong :D

above comments are based on current trends, charts and known data.. It just takes some deep organized planning.. There's a task force in charge of restaurant services n' they're shooting for very early June.. There's monetary breaks for 'em to take advantage of till then n' as long as rent subsidies are used, there's no big scary monster keeping us from hitting the road in July.

expect the normal dives to have a different look, lots of well placed signage keeping everybody safe.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yah I keep hearing about things looking to open up towards mid/late summer. Be nice if it does. I'm a little worried about all the money being handed out every which way you look as usual I'm eligible for none of it but firmly planted in the tax bracket that gets to pay for a lot of it. I'm not much of a whiner really, I'm thankful to be in a good way and healthy. Taxes and death and all that nonsense, no sense getting wound up over it.

Anybody doing any cool corona rides? Locally to me(Vernon) the weather has still been chilly and there's lots of gravel out and about. But I'm still managing to get in some nice riding. I'd like to say there is fewer cars out but it seems like that ship has already sailed and people are our and about like mad again. Cars everywhere, rush HR traffic, etc.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Two birds one stone. No car pooling to keep social distancing and help the poor oil companies out.
I think it's going to take years for traffic to return to 2019 levels. More people are going to be working from home now that they and their companies have figured out how to do it, even if it's just once or twice a week.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
some think traffic will be worse this summer, 'social distancing'..
cagers of the world, ughh. disperse! :D
There is a lot of traffic in my area. It's picked up since people lost interest in staying home. Covid restictions were all fun and games earlier now people are pissed off they are inconvienced.

An acquaintance recently sent me hate email because I don't want to visit and I wear a mask in public. He is in complete denial and this idiot has copd. Like wtf.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
i would not be spending time with anybody that stands a chance of having complications from this.

a friend of mine did come over for a movie last weekend, we ventured out for a Donair plate
nearby but stayed at my place the afternoon. I honestly dont get the whole thing, random
people getting pissed off, literally thinking their lives are being inconvenienced, by a 'world pandemic'.. How is it our fault your brain is broken. ? Conspiracy theorists are out there. ;)

get a fvcking grip on yourselves.. you're not that important. There are extreme cases though, some folks cant get the surgery they have been waiting on for over a year, those are actual needs, but going out to a park and screaming with a bunch of strangers holding up a sign that says "freedom is essential", thats way beyond mentally challenged man. Do they even realize a good chunk of us are considered essential personnel and put our lives at risk every time we touch a door knob!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts