BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Get outta the fast lane!!
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, my loaner didn't come with an owners manual.

Anybody know the correct front/rear tire pressure? I'm guessing about 25psi from what other bikes take but want to make sure it's setup right for the Duffy Lake Loop ride scheduled for tomorrow.

I've been searching the net in vain for 2hrs already for this info. Hmmm.... guess I could phone a local dealer.

Thanks!

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
352 Posts
Just look on the sidewall of the tire. I usually run 2 lbs under recommended. Lower is you go dirt riding. Which you should since the bike is a loaner :laughing

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Ignore what's on the side wall, that's the maximum load data, and has nothing to do with the bike. In some cases it would spit you off at the fiorst turn or stop sign.

If you can't get an answer, the best guess comes from looking up the tire, or it's closest equivalent on the manufacturers website, and use that tire pressure. Search for that bike, and the rest should be easy.

G

·
Definately go to Advrider, jo-momma section and ask. Their wonderful and kind people and will definately help you out.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
352 Posts
Ignore what's on the side wall, that's the maximum load data, and has nothing to do with the bike. In some cases it would spit you off at the fiorst turn or stop sign.
I've been doing it for 20 yrs and I still manage to pass the odd squid in the corners. What makes you an expert?? :evilgrin

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
wvd: it depends on the tire, not the bike. you'll need to look up the pressure from the tire manufacturer's application chart

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Just for fun, check out the Dunlop motorcycle tire website.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp

Select a few different bikes.

I checked one of my bikes, Z750S.
Kawi says 36 front, 42 rear.

Dunlop says the same for their replacement tire for that bike(not what I have on my bike)
It also shows the max (that tire on ANY motorcyel) as 42 front, 42 rear at max load. Even dropping 2 pounds puts my front at 40psi. No thanks.

Try the EX250.
Recommended 30 psi front, 34 rear.
Tire capable of twice the weight, and sidewall says 40 front, 41 rear.
40 and 41 for an EX250 would make it a nightmare to ride.

Granted, on bigger/heavier bikes, the weight is a lot closer to what the tire is maxed out at, and so you might not be so far off. Might.
Still, a blanket recommendation doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
like prs says, visit your tire manufacturer's website for the correct pressure for your particular bike. BMW's recommended pressure would apply only to using the OEM tires of that specific model year which came with the bike.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
352 Posts
Just my opinion.
I believe ya. Just being a smart ass. :surrender The guy has a loaner and just wanted a heads up on tire pressures for it. I use the 2 lb under as a base, then go from there when I ride a unfamiliar bike with no info available. I know if I had a GS loaner I would be heading up to Pemberton and taking the dirt loop over to Harrison for sure. :rockon

·
Get outta the fast lane!!
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links guys. Looks like 36psi front and 42psi rear. Seems a little high. Maybe I'll go 40 rear.

Believe it or not, there is absolutely no sticker on the swing arm like the jap bikes nor is there anything printed on the tire sidewall. Strange eh?

EDIT: found the psi and load range on the opposite sidewall. You'd think they could print it on both sidewalls. The text size is like 1 point. Real LARGE.

To be honest I was thinking of riding the gravel road from Squamish to Indian Arm but last I heard there was a bridge washed out 1/2 way there. Never been down there myself. Just down the Mamquam FSR.

The tires are Dunlop D607's. Not ideal for off road, maybe ok on gravel at 25psi. Mud, forget it.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=83
You can see by the tread pattern it's not much more than a typical sport tire with more grooves cut into it.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
Definately go to Advrider, jo-momma section and ask. Their wonderful and kind people and will definately help you out.
:laughing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts