BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at costco a little while ago and saw a motorcycle jack for sale. Can't really remember the details, but I think the price was about $130 or so. Anybody have it or know if it's any good? I have a 90zx-6 but there was no centre stand when I bought it.

Thanks,
Cyrus

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
GSninja said:
I was at costco a little while ago and saw a motorcycle jack for sale. Can't really remember the details, but I think the price was about $130 or so. Anybody have it or know if it's any good? I have a 90zx-6 but there was no centre stand when I bought it.

Thanks,
Cyrus
They aren't bad, they are now $99 dollars, the only problem with them is that they jack up the bike from under the engine which means on a sport bike you need to either take of the lower cowling or the entire fairing. But since you need to remove the fairing to do any work anyway it isn't to bad.

C

·
0 Posts
yeha i remember big jim contemplating between the costco jack/stand and an actual rear stand... and yeah.. since u gotta take off ur fairings to change oil/fluids etc... then it shoudl be a good deal.

B

·
0 Posts
if your ready to spend that much on a jack, why not just get a proper rear stand. I think PH-Q2 sells them on his site for about the same or less than that.

over the top

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bender said:
if your ready to spend that much on a jack, why not just get a proper rear stand. I think PH-Q2 sells them on his site for about the same or less than that.

over the top
Because the rear stand won't lift you bike 18 inches and allow you to remove the back wheel easily.

B

·
0 Posts
since when have you not been able to remove the back wheel on a rear stand? what kind of stand are you using? I guess if you really have your heart set on lifting your bike 18" then get the jack, but for all purpose maintenance (ie: cleaning and lubing the chain, tightening the chain, yadda yadda) you can't beat the ease of use of a rear stand. AND you get the added bonus of not having to remove your fairings.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bender said:
since when have you not been able to remove the back wheel on a rear stand? what kind of stand are you using? I guess if you really have your heart set on lifting your bike 18" then get the jack, but for all purpose maintenance (ie: cleaning and lubing the chain, tightening the chain, yadda yadda) you can't beat the ease of use of a rear stand. AND you get the added bonus of not having to remove your fairings.
I have a rear stand, but if you want to compare ease of maintenance if you can lift your bike 18 inches off the ground it is much easier to remove the back wheel then if it is only lifted 3 inched and you are crouched down straining your self. I am not saying that you can't do it with a stand but with a lift it is much easier, and you get both wheels off the ground at the same time. and yes I know you can get a front wheel stand, I have one as well.

As for removing your fairing I don't know of to many sport bikes that you can work on without removing part of the fairing.

S

·
0 Posts
How does the jack stand stablize the bike? If you pushed the bike sideways, won't it tip over and fall off the jack?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
superiorWANG said:
How does the jack stand stablize the bike? If you pushed the bike sideways, won't it tip over and fall off the jack?
There are straps for it.

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, i remember the jack having 2 pads. now I can only find one place where it can reach the frame. the other place is two pegs, but they're about an inch too short because the header lies between them. do i just jack it up there anyways?

Cyrus

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I bought the stand and am still trying to figure out where to put it on the frame. Also, it said "Straps not included" so where can I get the straps from? I'm not sure which kind they need to be, but I'm guessing those ratcheting?? straps. Thanks for your help guys. Hey Digi, you seem to know about these, any ideas

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
GSninja said:
OK, I bought the stand and am still trying to figure out where to put it on the frame. Also, it said "Straps not included" so where can I get the straps from? I'm not sure which kind they need to be, but I'm guessing those ratcheting?? straps. Thanks for your help guys. Hey Digi, you seem to know about these, any ideas
You can get a set of 4 ratcheting ones from Home Depot for $19.95

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Digi, you've been a great help!!
:rider

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wow I'm finding it hard to believe that you would actually risk to drop your bike from 18 inches off the ground?

So ya wana lube the chain, 1st remove the budywork
2nd put the jack under the bike and put the entire weight of the bike on your header pipe and engine cases,and then rachet it down even more to make it stable( am I reading this right)
3rd jack the bike up 4th lube the chain 5th let the bike down 6th undo the ratchet straps 7th take jack out from beneth the bike 8th replace the bottom fairing(inspecting the pipe for damage of corse) and finally it's done and I'm ready for A RIDE

Now how long did that take ?

I just did a test before I wrote this and it took me a minute to PROPERLY lube the chain and inspect the tire for ware.

I don't know why people want to cheep out when it comes to bike stand's.......to me it would be like buying a Lambo and using a lawn tarp as a car cover?.........it does the job .......don't it?
but the Q here is how well it does the job?
and what if it fails when the bike is up that high in the air?
I know that a mirror on a gsxr is worth more than my stand's and thats the first thing that get's it when a stand fails.
I'm not tryin to be an ass here,just giving you some input .

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
and if its to hard to crouch down ,(get a harley kuz your to fat to fly) maybe you should think about getting a work bench for your bike. This one is only 16 in off the ground, but you could get a 2" lift kit for it?

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey PH-Q2, thanks for your input. I'm not trying to cheap out, it just sounded like a better idea. I can raise the bike higher and get both tires off the ground, it'll be easier to work on (so I've heard), and I can use it on different bikes. It seems like it'll be stable. I'm still thinking of getting a rear stand for quick work, but for other work when I have to take off my fairings anyways, I'll use the jack. Where can I get a work bench and how much? Is it hard to get your bike on to the work bench? I never really thought about that, but it sounds interesting. Maybe I'll go with that route.
Cyrus

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sorry if I came off like an ass, but I just hate the Americans owning everything on the market,our water,our power,our tree's?

I'll sell you my stand for $300 I'm making a new one outta aluminum.

B

·
0 Posts
hey PH-Q2, I've been thinking about making a platform like that. from the picture it looks like you tilt it backwards like a teeter-totter and when you push the bike onto it, the weight of the bike levels it back out again. is that how it works? or do you have a ramp up to it as well.

as for the bike jack, now you have to go out and buy straps as well? man that sounds like such a pain in the ass just to work on your bike. I guess the extra height is handy, but what if you need to change the oil, doesn't the stand get in the way of the drain plug? the reason I say this is that it's the lowest part of the bike you'd be working on, thus the purpose of getting the 18" lift. I usually sit on my skateboard when my bike is on the rear stand, that way I can roll around while working down low on the bike. I'm thinking about going a step further and taking a piece of plywood and mounting some rotating castors to the bottom and a pad on top. voila! a litle mechanic's rolly chair thingy.

X

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I never really saw the value of a stand until now. Is there a local place that makes custom stands at all? I really wouldn't want to buy one from Costco

1 - 19 of 19 Posts