BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Man ive never countersteered on a bicycle that i can think of, and i ride alot. But yeah the whole concept of steering into the car thats about to cross the line and hit you is kinda weird.

D

·
0 Posts
you don't think of a bicycle attaining the same speeds as a motorcycle in order to countersteer, but the same basic concepts apply.

you just have 2 larger diameter, thinner, gyroscopes to break the stability of.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
for bicycles if u go over 30 km / h
it does happen

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
^ you don't consciously do it on a motorcycle at around 35km/h either.

when the steering effort becomes heavier, or the speeds start to really increase is when it's more of a thought

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
often you don't think about countersteering on a motorcycle, you only think about leaning it. When you are aware of it, however, you can get the bike to lean faster than trying to "bank" it over, thus the push right go right to swerve away from a car. If you were to try to lean away from the car, it would take a long distance and a lot of effort to do so. By giving the handlebar a postive input induces the lean much faster. Remember though, your countersteering inputs on a motorcycle are pretty minor... only a few degrees in handlebar turn each time. Don't try to go to full on steering lock in a turn :D

At any time, even on a bicycle, when you have to turn by "leaning," you have to have countersteered a tiny bit.

R

·
0 Posts
I almost always turn my bicycle by leaning. Before I got my motorcycle and took the lessons, i wondered why I never seemed to turn the handlebars anymore... countersteering is the answer!

After doing my lessons I found that by both leaning and giving a heavy countersteering input to a bicycle you can get it to lean over Really Fast... thus I crashed my bicycle for the first time in ages last summer, those skinny tires don't like huge lean angles :D

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
You countersteer on anything with two wheels no matter how fast you're going. How do you think you get it to lean into the turn you're taking? Next time you get on a bicycle pay close attention to how you steer and you will see that you do countersteer. Just very minutely. On a motorbike, however, when you're carving a bend at 60km/h, you need a lot more pressure to overcome the huge gyroscopic effect. That's why you are more aware of countersteering on a motorbike.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Darkcbr said:
You countersteer on anything with two wheels no matter how fast you're going...
if you're slow enough, you're not countersteering.
you'd be very much turning in the same direction as you're traveling.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I found I understood it better when I got going in a straight line at about 60 km/h and just put light pressure on each of the bars and felt what the bike tried to do on its own. You cant miss it that way. I was also told that you countersteer only to initiate the corner and then relax and let the bike fall into place, at that point you are no longer countersteering.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
adam112 said:
... I was also told that you countersteer only to initiate the corner and then relax and let the bike fall into place, at that point you are no longer countersteering.
until you get fast enough that you are pushing/pulling on the bars hard to keep the line you're trying to follow

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
slam said:
This is wrong. Weather you're continually pushing on the bar to hold the line or you're ever so slightly and unconciously turn the handlebars on a bicycle the other way before a turn, they're both countersteering.

·
I am the liquor
798 Posts
Darkcbr said:
This is wrong. Weather you're continually pushing on the bar to hold the line or you're ever so slightly and unconciously turn the handlebars on a bicycle the other way before a turn, they're both countersteering.
I think Darckcbr is right. It is easy enough to test on a bicycle or a motorcycle. In a safe place, take your left hand off the bar, open the palm of the right hand so that you know you are not pulling the bar, push on the bar, and see which way the bike leans. It doesn't matter how fast you go, countersteering initiates the bike to lean.

You can notice countersteering on a bicycle, if you are going fast enough and the bike is heavy enough. I notice it a lot on a downhill bike on a downhill course.

·
Wannabe
199 Posts
this is always a funny subject

you first learn to ride a motorcycle, on your own, or from someone who never went to a riding school.

nobody mentions countersteering.

you learn to ride, you ride around, you think you're a pretty good rider, you and your buddy ride all over the place and you've never heard of countersteering.

then you sign up with a motorcycle school.

First class, they talk about countersteering. You're like "what the hell?? I never had to do this, omg this is important, I cant belive my buddy didnt tell me abou this, I cant believe I could even ride without this knowledge"

then you get out riding again. You closely pay attention to which way your push the handlbars, and realize, you've been doing this all along.

The best way to deal with countersteering, is not think about it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
slam said:
Right you are, just like a car "if you're slow enough".

1 - 20 of 87 Posts