BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to insure the bike soon, but when I do I also plan to take off (or CANCEL) insurance on my cage.... i got the 12 month insurance on it... so im planning to cancel insurance on the car and insure just my bike... im just wondering if anyoen has ever done this, if there are any fees involved.. if there are any "loopholes" that i can use...

i was told by a friend that i can "transfer" the insurance over... another friend told me that i can get some sort of insurance where i have one plate for both bikes...

just wanna know my options beore i see the insurance man, so that he doesnt [email protected] me over.

any help would be appreciated guys. thanks. :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Hey man,

Whether you know the loop holes or not won't help you if the agent you go to doesn't know. You'll never convince the agent that a loop hole exists.

Best thing to do is goto an Autoplan dealer you know (or someone refers you to) and ask what the cheapest way to do this is.

In Surrey, I used to go to Delcu Insurance in White Rock (152 St around 18th across from the Boston Pizza if I recall.) I always talked to Jeannette she got me my discounts and everything right away and really helped me get sorted out.

Jim.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
There are no real fees for cancelling your car's insurance. But you will have to pay for new plates and licensing fees when you reinsure your car again (I think it is around $50) UNLESS you get storage insurance.

Also make sure you get your car AirCared before you take it off the road, depending on how long you plan on leaving the car uninsured, otherwise you will be buying a permit. And really, a permit is a total rip-off. When I factor in my truck's insurance of $800 a year over 365 days, it is around $2.20 a day. So with a permit you are paying for over 2 weeks of normal insurance just for one day! :eek

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
cancellation is $30 dollars i believe.
new plates are $18 dollars (of this im sure i did it few weeks ago).

air care last 1 year, so if you're planning to reinsure your car before that one year is over you'll be fine.

but don't believe me, double check with your autoplan dude/gal.

-d

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need to cancel the insurance on your car if you want to put storage insurance on it, which you probably should do. It is just considered a change to your insurance options so the money you already paid (if you paid for a few months in advance) would be refunded or credited to you somehow. This saves you the cancellation fee for the car.
I don't think insurance agents are out to screw you, 'cause as long as you insure with them, they are happy and they don't make commission on the amount of insurance you have anyway.
You will have to pay other fees for your bike though, like the plate fee.
and just fyi:
If you don't go for a whole year's worth of insurance at once, you are charged an extra fee for it. Also, even if you do go for a whole year's insurance but don't pay for it all at once (most people don't), you are charged interest because technically you are taking out a loan and paying it back monthly.

Be sure to talk to the insurance people and don't think of them as salespeople. have them figure out EXACTLY what each option will cost you and then decide what you feel is appropriate.
They don't mind the work.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
storage insuarance is considerably cheaper than "normal" insuarance; but it's tons compared to paying nothing :)

you pay the cancelation fee and they refund your money

when you want to get insuarance again they'll charge you for the plates plus the normal transaction fee. it's not a big deal i had to do it few months ago.

if you take insuarance out for a year you have an option of paying it monthly (and you pay an interest as someone mentioned); if it's less tahn a year you have to pay it in full.

dunno, imho storage insuarance is for people that have a vette or a porche or something. why would you put insuarance on a 10 year old vehicle that's wort $5k? i mean nobody is going to steal it right...

it's just waste of money.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
AlphaQ said:
storage insuarance is considerably cheaper than "normal" insuarance; but it's tons compared to paying nothing :)

you pay the cancelation fee and they refund your money

when you want to get insuarance again they'll charge you for the plates plus the normal transaction fee. it's not a big deal i had to do it few months ago.

if you take insuarance out for a year you have an option of paying it monthly (and you pay an interest as someone mentioned); if it's less tahn a year you have to pay it in full.

dunno, imho storage insuarance is for people that have a vette or a porche or something. why would you put insuarance on a 10 year old vehicle that's wort $5k? i mean nobody is going to steal it right...

it's just waste of money.
For me stogage insurance isn't worth it either, but if I had a new or almost new bike I wouldn't even have to think about it. Could you imagine dropping 14 grand on a bike then having your car catch on fire and taking your bike with it? This exact samething happened to Farhad this winter, he's lucky he had storage insurance. My bike stays inside a warehouse thats alarmed, if it did happened to get ripped off or catch on fire the 2-3 months it's no insured well thats the risk I'm willing to take, but my bike isn't worth much compared to most.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks boys.

im planning to get insurance in about a week and a half. i cant wait.

i dont think its a big deal who i go to but Jim's got me thinking.... is there anyone you guys recommend... any insurance ppl's out there that you constantly deal with in teh surrey/delta area that know the ropes?!?!?!....

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Canadian_Gixxer said:
it doesn't really who you goto, you'll be paying outta your [email protected] So better get the lube out and prepare yourself :laughing :eek

hahahaha
:laughing :laughing

that was a bit graphic!!

all the insuarance agents are the same..
last time i almost got charged for a 6,000CC bike - you read it right, 6 litre bike.. the lady must've been on crack, she quoted a lotta $$$...i asked her to double check and it was all resolved....
just go to the closest one i guess.. they are all icbc anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts