BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 1 year and a half has passed since I received my speeding ticket...
Scheduled to defend my case in the richmond court at 1pm today room 108 ( probly the toughest court for speeding since the cop died from a speeder not too long ago). 1 pm rolls by and only 1 out of 3 officer that was supposed to be there shows up.... more then half the people are dismissed..lucky I fall in the lucky half of the court room. Anyways dodge 200 dollars from leaving my wallet and A pretty good day overall!:flashy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Way to go - I've had good luck in that courtroom too! By the way, did any of the officers give their testimony over the phone? I've seen that before...

Always fight 'em!

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade so I'll put it this way: good for you for saving $200 :thumbup

On the questionable side [respectfully ;) ], your post implies you actually *might* have been speeding cuz there was *a chance* you could have lost in court. Well, I believe in 'do the crime, pay the fine'. Though my username may be SkipTkt, I'll be the first to admit the odd, um... poor judgement [ :devillook ] where, had I been caught, I'd pay the ticket. Just last summer I was caught downtown, riding down the sidewalk [among 5 other infractions] ...yup, I rolled gently right up to the cop who stopped me. But I knew all the while: if I get caught, I'll pay the ticket.

In the end, I believe you can't -at once- belittle other riders' habits, drivers' stupidities, the justice system [etc] and then hope to be the one who beats the system when it comes time for -any one of us- to pay the fine. It's pretty simple: speed [all you want :D ] but accept the fact there's a ticket waiting for ya somewhere down the line. No biggy. I've heard every defense story imaginable for tickets ranging from $168 to $560. Yet owning up to an offense doesn't make riding any less fun. At least it's not hypocracy.

My 2kms: avoiding *legitimate* tickets only encourages the next new rider generation to make poor choices when they see an RCMP light-show coming up behind them. It also clogs the courts with weekend warriors who suddenly become disgruntled law-abiding angels ...in suits, from Monday to Friday.

:rolleyes Flame away. I'm no angel but I'm obliged to pay for my actions, whether in cash for speeding or by suffering a hang-over from a well-earned drunk. Do the crime, pay the fine. Hell, repeat it as often as ya want! ;)

:drinkbeer

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Number one reason to fight 'em: Avoid having lisence suspended.
My biggest fear is loosing it. I did at one point years ago for 6 months. NEVER AGAIN!!!

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Darkcbr said:
Number one reason to fight 'em: Avoid having lisence suspended.
My biggest fear is loosing it. I did at one point years ago for 6 months. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Great point. :thumbup

To be clear, I don't profess to be right. Nor am I a 'high-and-mighty' kinda person. :) My point is a general one, perhaps more philosophically-based. I certainly respect the opinions & choices others make [or have to make in some predicaments]. I'm thinking more of the newer riders who need to understand riding's a privilege; tickets aren't bragging rights. You've added one more reason to be responsible: there are worse things in this life than simply paying a deserved speeding ticket...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
In the interest of whirled peas and less yelling at the computer, could we, perhaps, suspend and ban any and all future discussion about fighting or disputing speeding tickets? It's always the same flame war, nobody changes their opinion (probably gets more entrenched) and I'm really, really tired of watching recidivists justify their subjective bylaw tolerances.

Yes, I know I could just stop reading any threads related to this, but I can't help but consider the police officers who allegedly troll these pages, and their resulting attitude next time they pull over one of us. And I prefer it when everyone plays nice. Can we all just agree to disagree?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I haven't seen a telephone testimony......And the only cop that was there was making deals with everybody on his list....The guy next to me got a reduced fine by 60 dollars from the cop before the proceeding began! Kinda strange how he checked his list and had some private time with everybody on it...

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Squint said:
In the interest of whirled peas and less yelling at the computer, could we, perhaps, suspend and ban any and all future discussion about fighting or disputing speeding tickets? It's always the same flame war, nobody changes their opinion (probably gets more entrenched) and I'm really, really tired of watching recidivists justify their subjective bylaw tolerances.

Yes, I know I could just stop reading any threads related to this, but I can't help but consider the police officers who allegedly troll these pages, and their resulting attitude next time they pull over one of us. And I prefer it when everyone plays nice. Can we all just agree to disagree?
I agree. A'course that's easy to do once I -believe- I've made my point :D. But in truth, an appropriate image comes to mind: :horse

:drinkbeer

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Psh.. I paid all my tickets, some in a very timely mannar, then they take away my licence, screw that.. Next time i'm not stopping, and if they catch me, i'll dispute.. bastards.

Ryan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gawd said:
Psh.. I paid all my tickets, some in a very timely mannar, then they take away my licence, screw that.. Next time i'm not stopping, and if they catch me, i'll dispute.. bastards.

Ryan
same thing happened to me... I get my licence back april 4th...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
i tend to agree with charles. so far in 4 yrs of riding i've gotten a total of one $345 ticket, and one other ~$120 ticket. Its all about picking your spots and having a proper respect for authority.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Pay to play is my motto.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cbvroom said:
How many tickets til you lose your license usually?

it's not tickets that get you, it's the points.

you can get 1 ticket with 6 points, and another with 3, and you start getting letters.

you can get 5 tickets with 2 points each to reach the same point.

·
Rhinotillexomania
336 Posts
SkipTkt said:
Well, I believe in 'do the crime, pay the fine'. Though my username may be SkipTkt, I'll be the first to admit the odd, um... poor judgement [ :devillook ] where, had I been caught, I'd pay the ticket. Just last summer I was caught downtown, riding down the sidewalk [among 5 other infractions] ...yup, I rolled gently right up to the cop who stopped me. But I knew all the while: if I get caught, I'll pay the ticket.
Don't get me wrong but by the same token as "Do the time, pay the crime" You could argue that IF you know its a crime why do it?
You're looking at it as more of a "fun tax" when you obviously know its illegal.

“I'll break the law but I pay so its ok and I can do it as much as I can afford” is figuratively what I got out of your post.

What about people that can't afford to pay? Just because they don't make as much money as you they aren't entitled to the same freedom on their bike?

Me on the other hand, I'll dispute any ticket that I feel I can win, its my right.

I’m not trying to flame you, just debate some of your points.

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
I agree with you on a conceptual level, Charles, however, I go to court and fight the few tickets I get because I think the fines that are being given out now in this province are way out of proportion to the seriousness of the infraction. If reasonable tickets were issued, that didn't require taking out a mortgage to pay, perhaps more people would pay them. Also, the last time I got a ticket on the bike (pre-Valentine1 days), I got caught doing +20 in the middle of nowhere, got a huge lecture from some rookie who was young enough to be my son about "having to scrape you off the pavement blah, blah, blah", while logging trucks, fully loaded, barrelled by us at +40. I got on my soapbox in court over that one.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
p0rn.star said:
What about people that can't afford to pay? Just because they don't make as much money as you they aren't entitled to the same freedom on their bike?
What about people who can't afford to own a bike? Should they be prevented from enjoying the freedom of riding a bike? Maybe they should be allowed to steal any unattended bike anytime they like.

Sorry, but motorcycling isn't a cheap hobby. And you can have a lot of fun on a bike without breaking any laws. Freedom on a bike doesn't include the right to speed, ride on the sidewalk, stunt in traffic, or lane-split. They're all illegal.

Me on the other hand, I'll dispute any ticket that I feel I can win, its my right.
Just keep in mind that it's not your right to perjure yourself in court. If the ticket is truly bogus, that's one thing. But bullshitting your way through n the hope that you get off isn't.

·
Mmm bubble gum
3,230 Posts
Ive got my courtdate Feb 6.

No 5 rd is a trap. 50km/hr...id love to see who actually goes that speed :S

Oh well, hopefully cop dont show. If he does, ill jus plead guilty and ask for reduction in fine since im as broke as our beloved old fast cats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts