BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my court date set this friday cause im disputing a ticket for Failure to keep right, cop didn't catch me speeding or anything. I crashed the bike and left it parked on the side of the road away and when i went back to retrieve it the cop was there waiting for me. This took place last summer, I have no experience with this ticket dispute stuff so im wondering what i should say ...... do i have to explain myself?

help...

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
He gave you a ticket and didn't see what happen and there were no witnesses? Thats pretty bunk, I'm against fighting legit tickets but thats total BS. heh, sorry I don't have any advice but I hope it works out for you.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah
my friends were helped me talk down the excessive speeding charge already but she left the failure to keep right on.
she didn't catch me doing anything, if i did anything wrong it was leaving the scene of an accident (i didn't know that, that's why i left to have breakfast). She didn't even catch me for failure to keep right so im guessing i got the ticket b/c i left the bike parked on the side of the road?
BS man.... it wasn't really to the side of the road, for those of you that have been on the sea to sky near britannia beach, there's a big runoff on a big left turn and that's where i parked/crashed the bike.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
In my opinion, the cop won't show. Since she reduced the excessive speed charge there's really no reason for her to be there. It won't be worth her time to show for the couple of hundred that they'll get for it. I could be wrong though, especially with a woman cop. They don't write too many tickets and she may want to prove she's a real cop. Good luck, man.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ticket's only 75 bucks !!!
shiet.... shouldn't have disputed it cause im gonna be missing my econ class before the midterm.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
then just go and pay the fine before...doesn't have to go to court.....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Chuck,

Which side of the road did you crash on? If you crossed the center line and crashed on the other side of the road, you did fail to keep right. If she saw your bike, you were caught "red handed".

IMO, I wouldn't fight a ticket that was reduced. You stand the chance of the officer giving the entire story to the Judge and facing higher fines for wasting time.

$75 isn't worth it man.. just pay the ticket. I do believe you can assume guilt and pay the fine, then have the court date cancelled.

Jim.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didn't cross the centre line, we were heading to squamish so i didn't fail to keep right.
im gonna do to the DMV tomorrow and see if i can just pay the fine cause i really can't miss my classes on friday AND i have no idea where the courthouse in squamish is, dun really know my way around that place yet.

thanks for all the info..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Chuck,

If you pay the fine at a Motor Vehicle office, ask how to cancel the court date. You may have to go to a court house to pay the fine and have the court date cancelled.

Jim.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I always thought that if you didn't show up the charge was treated as undisputed and you were found guilty. Since you aren't there to enter a plea, the Crown doesn't get to add anything to the charge. You are automatically found guilty and you must pay the fine. I know it would be more courteous to somehow cancel the court date and let everyone now ahead of time, but it isn't absolutely neccessary. Additionally, you don't have to actually be there for the proceedings to continue. If somebody appears on your behalf and tells the court that you had an Econ class and could not attend, it will be adjourned until such time as you can make it. That would give you time to buy a map of Squamish (there's only two streets!) and get to know your way around up there.:D Also, if your buddy shows to ask for an adjournment and sees that the officer isn't there, he can enter not guilty on your behalf and you get off the ticket.;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hu is correct .. don't show up and the ticket fine is in the mail or the next time you renew your lisence. They won't add any other fee or fines. In Squamish? Its not even worth the drive man =) $75?

Usually if you got a regular speeding ticket and you dispute it. The officer will offer you a discount at the courthouse if you decide to pay the ticket. You also get a year before they set yoru court date, so it gives you time to save up those loonies. The shitty thing is .. what if during the year you get other tickets? The points add up and you might get bumped into this point premium bracket where you have to pay hundreds more !!!! SUCKS.

Another thing to look forward to when going to the courthouse is having the cop not show up. The charges are on hold (haha, never heard of them actually reinvestigating) ... I got off my $515 ticket like that and saved myself another $400 in point premiums with ICBC.

Its not a big deal to go up to court anyways .. it is such a nice place in Coquitlam. I went up and the judge was talking to me. U still have a chance to plead guilty in the courtroom. But ya .. the place looked exactly like the set for Judge Judy. I had a good time in there and almost cracked up when the judge told me the RCMP office was transferred. I turned around and everyone was SMILING =)

:D :cool ;) :p :) :laughing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts