BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Those bikes are soooo sick... thanks for the article...

I'll take a SM version of both please... (sorry dirt boys, I'm a city boy)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Yea cool comparison,, I really like the new 4strokes, I think there great bikes, and well engineered, but the whole problem with the new generation 4 strokes, both the 250s and 450s are cost of maint. Yes they make some great usable power, and yes they are fun,, and WAY easier to ride, but very expensive to do so. I have allot of experience with two strokes, 500, 250's & 125, I have owned and raced them since 78, in ice racing, motoX, super motard, and even road race them, they are a handful to say the least, and require respect. They are very cheap to maintain and easy to get scary power out of them.The motors can be made to be more rideable, smoother and run better with simple head and porting work. The 4 strokes on the other hand are virtual grenades,, it's not of if there going to blow, it's a mater of when,, and when they do blow, you better have a nice new credit card, cause your going to need it, and if you think diligent maintenance will avoid this, then you are very much mistaken. A major motor rebuild is going to set you back close to half the bikes cost,,Head, Valves, piston, and all the little things that spin at crazy RPMs will all have to be changed, and there not cheap. Have a look at the price of a 450's head,, or even one valve, you will be shocked. The fact that the valves will eventually be pushed so far into the head that even taking out the shims will not help , and that means buying a new head, along with new valve springs, valves, guides, bearings gaskets, BLA BLA BLA, you get the picture. Now a rebuild on a 2 stroke,, and a major rebuild,, may set you back $600, and it doesn't require very much labor either. I would love to have a competitive 4 stroke to race, I think there way better of a bike than a 2 stroke , but not at the price of rebuilding them.
 

·
Necessary Evil
Joined
·
464 Posts
Yeah I miss watching the show you use to put on at Mission/WMRC with your CR500R, Jumby. Back tire in the air going into corners, and front tire in the air coming out of them. And whooping much bigger bikes in the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Cool thanks, yea it was fun ripping around the mission, those day are not over, I plan I buying my bike back off of Paul when I get back from Australia. I am planning on racing the BAJA 1000 this year with a few friends,, so I will be training like a mad man, but I don't think I will be roadracing to much. I will be back MotoXing, Mission, Agassi, and Pemberton, but no serious racing,, just training.
 

·
Always ride red
Joined
·
75 Posts
Jumby said:
Cool thanks, yea it was fun ripping around the mission, those day are not over, I plan I buying my bike back off of Paul when I get back from Australia. I am planning on racing the BAJA 1000 this year with a few friends,, so I will be training like a mad man, but I don't think I will be roadracing to much. I will be back MotoXing, Mission, Agassi, and Pemberton, but no serious racing,, just training.
A good training session for you would be the event I am organizing up in Hope, the Bent Spoke. We got an awsome circut layed out and have lots of good support from local shops including Bill @5th Gear.....Thanks for the love Bill!
:rockon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Chip finder said:
A good training session for you would be the event I am organizing up in Hope, the Bent Spoke. We got an awsome circut layed out and have lots of good support from local shops including Bill @5th Gear.....Thanks for the love Bill!
:rockon
Very cool,, I am in,, there is 3 other riders doing the BAJA with me,, so I will bring them out. Yea Bill always has love for us Off road guys!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Always ride red
Joined
·
75 Posts
Jumby said:
Very cool,, I am in,, there is 3 other riders doing the BAJA with me,, so I will bring them out. Yea Bill always has love for us Off road guys!!!!!!!!!!
Forgot to put this in case ya didnt see it:http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65247


Also I would like to thank RMR suspensions for the support we will recieve as well.

This is a good time to support those vendors that give back to our sport, we will have tons of great prizes and giv away's thanks to them.

:rockon
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top