BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
contradiction incarnate
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
Madman said:
the car holds out incredibly well in crashes, however the passengers inside get a little scrambled. the force of impact has to go somewhere.
in the particular design of the Smart ForTwo, the axles and related "hard parts" actually absorb much of the impact force.

the occupants hold up pretty well.

unlike most cars that save the passengers fairly well, the Smart ForTwo will be less likely to be driveable after a major crash.
 

·
Bohica
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
yeah I guess it does fairly well and I'm not to worried about how it drives after a crash. but the leg room doesn't allow for much impact and I've seen studies that show that is where immediate injuries could occur. I have a Smart convertible and I actually enjoy the darn thing
 

·
contradiction incarnate
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
cool.
yeah, a buddy o' mine got a Smart ForTwo (coupe, not convertible) and he did a fair amount of research into it before committing to it.
the crash safety is pretty good for the passengers.
leg injuries are usually pretty commonly the first injury most likely to happen in any major head-on impact, as far as I recall, regardless of vehicle.
 

·
X-nasty
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
Madman said:
the car holds out incredibly well in crashes, however the passengers inside get a little scrambled. the force of impact has to go somewhere.
That is untrue. The passengers do quite well, better than some cars larger than it.


www.euroncap.com Check this out for "real" crash test results completed in Europe. Look at the 5 star vehicles in the US crash tests, they do quite poorly in Europe. Europe has more realistic crash tests, that try to mimic real life.
 

·
Happy Camper
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
I don't buy it. Mass rules. If I were to crash into a Smart car with my K5 Blazer at highway speeds, I think they'd find the Smart car on someone's roof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
BlackScorpion said:
I don't buy it. Mass rules. If I were to crash into a Smart car with my K5 Blazer at highway speeds, I think they'd find the Smart car on someone's roof.
by the same logic if a semi plows into your K5, they'll be looking for your car on someone's roof.
Smarts are mostly for city driving, which is supposed to be limited to speeds around 50-70km'h.
even though it's capable of hiway speeds, i don't think anybody can argue it's comfortable in that role.
it does very well as a city car and crash tests speak for themselves.
 

·
Happy Camper
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Jester666 said:
by the same logic if a semi plows into your K5, they'll be looking for your car on someone's roof.
I agree! If a semi or bus nails me in my blazer, I'll go flying. But I bet I'd have a better chance than if I was in a Smart car. Mass rules.

I'd love it if everybody in the world drove a Smart car. Level out the playing field. We'd all stand a chance...even us riders :)
 

·
Bohica
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Bora20 said:
That is untrue. The passengers do quite well, better than some cars larger than it.


www.euroncap.com Check this out for "real" crash test results completed in Europe. Look at the 5 star vehicles in the US crash tests, they do quite poorly in Europe. Europe has more realistic crash tests, that try to mimic real life.
I can't find the results on web, but in crash tests the Smart passengers do sustain some bad leg injuries do to the force of impact. This was based on a recognized european crash test study. At the same time, I do agree that there were some larger cars that faired worse.

There have been a few Smart car accidents in town namely one involving a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I heard the Smart faired well and was repariable however the Jeep was a right off. Don't know what happened to the pax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
max speed on those smart cars are approx 129 km;h, i tried to push it further but it just won't budge
it's pretty good on the highway beleive it or not....
 

·
Bohica
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
scubaphil said:
max speed on those smart cars are approx 129 km;h, i tried to push it further but it just won't budge
it's pretty good on the highway beleive it or not....
hah, i did over 140 km/h on mine today! and that wasn't even going down hill.

funny thing is it used to max out at 138 but now it seems to go faster and the speedometer is still fairly accurate.
 

·
X-nasty
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
Madman said:
I can't find the results on web, but in crash tests the Smart passengers do sustain some bad leg injuries do to the force of impact. This was based on a recognized european crash test study. At the same time, I do agree that there were some larger cars that faired worse.

There have been a few Smart car accidents in town namely one involving a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I heard the Smart faired well and was repariable however the Jeep was a right off. Don't know what happened to the pax.
It was tested last in 2000 when it was still MCC Smart.
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=1&id2=69

They have changed it a bit since then, so I imagine it faired a bit better.
 

·
Bohica
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Bora20 said:
It was tested last in 2000 when it was still MCC Smart.
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=1&id2=69

They have changed it a bit since then, so I imagine it faired a bit better.
Yah, that's the test i was referring to. My leg still rides against part of the car with no room to move, so its a bit of a concern. The compartment is totally designed to hold up and that's a good thing cuz there's no room otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
BlackScorpion said:
I'd love it if everybody in the world drove a Smart car. Level out the playing field. We'd all stand a chance...even us riders :)
It'd make passing on the highways too easy though. I think we should all sell our bikes and buy segways. Because they are the transportation of the future! Cough.
 

·
who farted?
Joined
·
525 Posts
I dont care how well these cars do in a crash test, they are ugly as sin and they look like if you lean on one it would tip over. Plus if you drop a hot air biscuit in one of them NO one stands a chance of survival.
 

·
Bohica
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Defcon-1 said:
I dont care how well these cars do in a crash test, they are ugly as sin and they look like if you lean on one it would tip over. Plus if you drop a hot air biscuit in one of them NO one stands a chance of survival.
:laughing funny stuff ... at least i got the convertible.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top