BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's terrible. The worst part is this quote from the copper:

We’re getting tired of picking dead bodies up off the road and I think we’re going to have to look at some more innovative ideas of how we’re going to combat this problem," said Constable Peter Thiessen.

It doesn't look good for anyone who likes fast cars or bikes.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I don't think I'll ever understand it....

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I was just talking about this with my wife. I think that anybody under 21 should be limited in the amount of HP they have. Too many road racing incidents..

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I don't know if that's the answer Adam. We are supposed to be in a free society. I know that kids cannot handle that kind of power, but to limit is quite heavy handed. Perhaps raise the age for a drivers license to 35 because that seems to be the age when all the foolishness stops. My tongue is firmly in my cheek with that suggestion, it's not a rational solution. Ther is no solution. Young drivers are always going to kill themselves, it's what young drivers do. If the cop in the article (Const. Peter Thiessen) is tired of picking up dead bodies, then get another job. Because I believe it is the duty of the police to do this when there is a fatality. Otherwise why do they always show up and cover the victims with tarps. I don't think there is a problem so much as we don't understand human nature. YOUNG MEN WILL GO FAST AND SOME WILL DIE!

I think it needed repeating. Sure it's sad for the family, but they will have to live with the consequences of not teaching their son some restraint.

B

·
0 Posts
I think something that could help the situation a little bit would be track days for cars! Just think about the bikers who no longer feel the need to race on roads 'cause they have the track to go to. I know this hasn't eliminated road racing for bikes , but i think it's helped quite a bit. Can you all imagine having life WITHOUT THE TRACK as an option????
BTW, if anyone has enough coin to build a race track, think of the money you could pull in if you offered it to cars AND bikes????
We'd be your best friends..:p

·
Registered
609 Posts
There are track days for cars, whether it's for drag or circuit. The problem is most people don't want to drive all the way out to Mission or down to Seattle for an event and only get a few runs. I believe last season Mission raceway had started a Friday night drag racing event after all the street racing accidents. A few of my friends attended but they were disappointed at the amount of runs they were able to get after paying $20 ( if i remember correctly ). Most people were only able to get 2-3 runs for the whole night! Most of the time they were standing around waiting. As for the regular season events most people are too lazy to drive out to Mission. I've been out there before and it's not really that far. If I had a car to race I'd be there for every event of the season.

The only thing you can do to prevent people from street racing is provide a affordable and easily accessible venue for them to go to. I believe there is a new track in B.C that is suppose to be opening soon. It has both a circuit and a oval track.

As for the two people that died in Richmond, I read that alcohol was involved and both persons where not wearing their seatbelts.

·
Slowpoke
65 Posts
cdnav8r's daily vent (also known as the "I type too much vent"):

Things like this just BUG me.....I mean, its nothing new, you hear about it ALL THE TIME, and its unfortunate that you do. Now, maybe the media also blows it up a little, but maybe not.

But the bottom line is that you hear about it all the time. A few months back it was at the boundary bay airport road. I was attending the auto-x there, and stopped by the airport terminal with my gf.....upon arriving there we saw a electrical pole slanted and firetrucks, ambulances, and rcmp on site (i have a few photos from a FAR distance)......later on I found out it was a guy notorious for streetracing who just never learned, and the passenger of that car paid the price of losing his life in that one car accident.....

It doesn' t end there, I'm sure all of you can recall incidents like this...how about the yellow boxter? Or just any incident......

It bothers me because you hear about it all the time, and you would think that hearing about it would cause some people to learn or smarten up. But NO, that would NEVER happen. People will never learn and there is nothing to do about it

The sad part is that a lot of times, there are innocent people/pedestrians that will lose their life, or even passengers of these vehicles (like this one) and none of them had control over the situation......

This is just another street racing story, and I'm sure it won't be the last that we'll hear about, whether by word of mouth or through the media.

sorry for the long post.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
bad as it is that 2 people died, at least they only killed themselves this time and didn't take out any pedestrians or some guy driving home after getting off the late shift. Booze and speed don't mix and as soon as these fools got behind the wheel they were just asking for something like this to happen.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The only way to stop this is to make cars and bikes illegal, and to make everybody take the bus everywhere. It's the price we pay for the freedom to drive. No matter what punitive measures are assessed to the entire driving community, there will still be the same percentage of idiots who will kill temselves and others. However, this will not stop the authorities from making it less pleasurable and more expensive to drive/ride in the province.
Make no mistake, the tragedy of this story is not so much the deaths of two young people, which was regrettable, but probably inevitable. The real tragedy is that you and I are going to have to drive even slower than we do now (picture 30 and 40km/h limits all over town) and pay much more for insurance as a method of deterrent. The people they are trying to deter are not deterred by the consequences of putting the gas pedal to the floor of a 300hp machine in a populated area with cross traffic, so what effect will higher insurance and lower speed limits have?

There is no answer to this, but we must not let this story become political leverage for the tax collectors and police. This story must stand on its own as a testament to what human nature does and will always do in a small percentage of situations.:firemad

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I talked to my Dad earlier today. He was in Richmond and saw the car.... He told me that it was the most disturbing thing he's ever seen.

atom

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
...and people look at me funny when i say "save it for the track"... i guess they don't expect to hear that from a 22 year old

1 - 14 of 14 Posts