BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is stiff as fck, any idea how to fix it? I've tried squirting some WD in the cable, but I don't think it made it all the way down, and it didn't make much difference.

Maybe a new clutch cable?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
you betcha!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The Cable Care Kit includes everything you need to clean, purge and lubricate cables, quickly and easily, without removing the cable from its housing. The Kit contains one 6.25 ounce aerosol can of Champions Choice Cable Life and one Champions Choice Cable Luber (NEW improved design now accepts larger cables up to 3/8 inches in diameter. Two screw clamp for a tighter, more secure fit).

I

·
0 Posts
Ditto, I have a cable "luber" as shown, and it's great, but it sounds like yours is too far gone, likely rusty inside.
Swap it and re-discover the joy of motorcycling.

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Buy a new cable.
They don't come lubed, so by the kit and lube it.
And put grease at both ends of the exposed cable, and especially oin the cable end that goes into the lever.

WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's shit. Good for a big flame, or 'lubricating' the rag you're cleaning your rim and swingarm with. Nothing else. Right up there with Armourall in the 'you bikes enemy' shelf.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice, I'll give a new cable a try. I'm surprised to hear new cables don't come lubed, but I guess it doesn't hurt to buy a lube kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
mcaswell said:
Thanks for all the advice, I'll give a new cable a try. I'm surprised to hear new cables don't come lubed, but I guess it doesn't hurt to buy a lube kit.
Don't forget to lube the bushings for the clutch lever while you're at it. You can use either a white lithium grease or some moly grease for that.

H.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
V_650 said:
Don't forget to lube the bushings for the clutch lever while you're at it. You can use either a white lithium grease or some moly grease for that.

H.
Good point. The lever pivot is often overlooked. Be sure to grease the bobbins where they fit into the lever and onto the little arm at the clutch as well. If that bobbin binds it's hard on the cable strands right at the bobbin.

R

·
0 Posts
Heads up. That iritating little extruded aluminum lubricator clamp that goes in the end of the cable is now available from Princess Auto in Coq.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts