BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this "off season" I see lots of Cyclocross events taking place. Even the nationals will be hosted in Surrey in November.

Anybody racing?
I bit the bullet and got a license for the first time in my life.

Will start by attending the "Pumpkin Cross" tomorrow in Maple Ridge.

Post up if anybody else is planning to do any Cyclocross this Fall and Winter.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard. Gonna have to look into that

Today's Pumpkin Cross put up by Local Ride in MR was awesome.
Big turnout, perfect weather.
Whacky costumes and fun, friendly competition.

I'm blown away when a small local shop is able to pull off a great event like this.
Compared to most other shops that don't do shit.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
I heard. Gonna have to look into that

Today's Pumpkin Cross put up by Local Ride in MR was awesome.
Big turnout, perfect weather.
Whacky costumes and fun, friendly competition.

I'm blown away when a small local shop is able to pull off a great event like this.
Compared to most other shops that don't do shit.
Barry from Local Ride is a top-notch guy and contributes tirelessly to the cycling scene in Vancouver. If you get into road racing, he also puts on the Barry's Roubaix (our version of 'Paris-Roubaix') and Race the Ridge. Check out his other races here: http://www.localride.ca/races/

As far as going down south goes, you should also check out the MFG Cyclocross series. The fields will be bigger an nuttier and the prize purses are usually pretty sweet as well: http://www.mfgcyclocross.com

Since we're on the subject, you have to get down to star-crossed one year: http://www.starcrossedcx.com

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too worried about prize money at this stage...lol I'm just happy if 1.I finish and 2. don't finish last.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good for you man. I checked out an event last year out by Softball City in White Rock and it looked like the guys were slugging it out in the muck but having a good time. How'd the first event go?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so for me, first off I've never done any mountain biking, BMX'ing or anything like that.
I am strictly an urban commuter/road biker.
I've never competed in any cycling events before either, this was first.

So my first exposure to CX was last Tuesday, when I attended a clinic at the Pitt Meadows BMX track.
THAT was scary as shit, as going around a BMX track on ..basically a road bike, with no previous experience was something else.
I wiped out at least 4-5 times, maybe more.

On my first practice lap I body checked a 4' high dirt wall, because I wasn't paying attention.
Then I noticed guys (and girls) were RIDING up that wall....A vertical, 4' high dirt wall!
So I tried too, wiped out the first 2 tries, stalled out the other 2 , then it WORKED!
THat was a good feeling.
Then we had a mini-race, I was taking it really easy, wasn't there to compete, but to learn.

Big thanks to Sandra Walter for tutoring us Newbs. She set down some very solid basics I can build on.

Now, the Pumpkin Cross:
Awesome event, props to Barry and his Local Ride crew.
A shop like that is certainly worth supporting.

I entered the beginner category(obviously), which was only 4 laps.
I finished, and did not come in last. Wiped only once,on the sand trap.
That taught me a very valuable lesson, and I could hear Sandra's voice in my head about 'keeping the front wheel loose and light :)

Overall I took it too easy, should have pushed much harder.
I think speed will come with experience.
I don't feel fully confident in how hard I can push the bike on these surfaces, and am still learning the feel of the CX bike. It's all squirmy and floaty..
And the tires feel like bubble gum compared to the road bike :)

Being passed by a girl and even a 12 or 14 year old boy was certainly a humbling experience too.

Overall I very much enjoyed the experience, I'd go as far as to say that any semi-serious road bikes HAS to do CX.
THe main difference between CX and road I found, is that CX was absolutely relentless.
THere is no 'gliding' or moments of rest.
from go to stop you're working your ass off.
And getting off and on the bike, running, climbing all that stuff will make me a better, stronger road rider.

The day after my legs were totally fine, but my hands, arms and shoulders were a bit sore - a prime proof that CX will exercise different parts of the body.

100% endorsement and will certainly race again.

p.s. My eyes were nicely protected by my Dux Helm ;)

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
Yep, CX is just friggin' gruesome. Watch some of the Euro races, and your mind will be blown.

BTW, Canadian championships will be in South Surrey on Nov. 30. I plan to be there (watching, not competing).

Congrats on finishing!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll go to the nationals too, most likely just to spectate, though they do have some lower races, so...I dunno..

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
All you need now to complete the roadie-nerd trifecta is to ride the boards at the Burnaby Velodrome!

Oh yeah, and never underestimate the young ones, many of them pack quite the punch.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All you need now to complete the roadie-nerd trifecta is to ride the boards at the Burnaby Velodrome!

Oh yeah, and never underestimate the young ones, many of them pack quite the punch.
I'd like to try the velodrome, sure.
I was recently offered a frame that might work in exchange for a couple helmets, so I might even have a dedicated bike soon, we'll see.
The frame is from Unknown, which to be honest is..well...unknown to me. Frame looks good though, and they seem to be getting positive reviews.

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
I'd like to try the velodrome, sure.
I was recently offered a frame that might work in exchange for a couple helmets, so I might even have a dedicated bike soon, we'll see.
The frame is from Unknown, which to be honest is..well...unknown to me. Frame looks good though, and they seem to be getting positive reviews.
Bike rentals at the velodrome are cheap - and are included in the "crash" course (pun intended) that is mandatory before heading out on the track.

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
FWIW - there's another CX clinic with current CX Canadian champion, Geoff Kabush on Nov. 24. If interested, PM me for details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts