BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my buddies and I were working on a project bike i acquired and as we were tightening one of the cylinder head cover bolts, it snapped off and left part of the bolt still threaded. What's the best thing to do? needless to say, I can't ride it out to a shop. My buddy has a drill and said an easy out drill bit should work...any other ideas? or is the easy out drill bit the best way to go?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o.o i wouldn't know what to do with a pocket knife in this situation

anyone know where to get one of those drill bits? i see some online for a decent price..5 bucks...cdn tire sells them for 50...i think that's way overpriced...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
It's likely that you can worry it out with a scriber or similar pointy object. Once it breaks there's no resistance in the bit that's left in there. If you have a Dremel with a cut off wheel carefully grind a slot in the end of the bolt and use a small flat screwdriver.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TeeTee said:
It's likely that you can worry it out with a scriber or similar pointy object. Once it breaks there's no resistance in the bit that's left in there. If you have a Dremel with a cut off wheel carefully grind a slot in the end of the bolt and use a small flat screwdriver.
i can get a dremel but the problem is part of the thread broke off with the bolt so the part of the bolt that is threaded is pretty far in there...so i cant use a dremel to cut inside...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Like I said and like Ripster found out, a broken bolt like this breaks quite clean and leaves the bit in the hole loose. So get in there with a scriber or some other sharp pokey thing and see if you can tease it out until you can get a grip on it. Baring that you can drill a small hole in it and then use a small square file to poke in the hole and turn it out. It won't be tight as it's not rusted in there. It's actually floating loose and won't take much at all to turn it out.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys get off suggesting that bit of threaded bolt in there is "left loose." Sure, with the head off it can't be "pulling," exactly, but who knows how much thread interference there may be? It could be loose, but I sure wouldn't expect it to be. It might have broken *because* of rotational (thread) friction, not necessarily over-tightening.

Bit of advice, go slow. I've boroken off more than one so-called "eazy out" bit. They are brittle metal (so they cut into, and hence grab, the bolt they are inserted into). Chose your size carefully, drill the center of the broken bolt, apply liberal liquid wrench and some carefull heat, and then goooooo sloooooooooo. Even just applying moderate pressure and holding it for a while can break these things loose, but if you honk on it, you'll just snap your easy out bit off in there, and then you're really hooped, because you can't drill that out (because the easy out bit is harder than the bolt, so your drill will be pushed aside into your threads and then you're done). Been there, done that.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i used two screwdrivers and slowly...slowly pushed the screw off center until it came out long enough to use a pair of surgical scissors...and then after I got that out some more....i used small needlenoss pliers...
sweet :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whatever method you use to back the bolt out.. cover the rest of the head so you get nothing in the cylinders, jackets, and anything else that's open.

·
Registered
819 Posts
A further tip along Doug's line of thinking is to put a magnet next to the area you'd be drilling to catch any filings that escape. It's worked like a charm for me when I've had to extract a snapped off bolt (or two).

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i put the bolt back in (the one with no threads) so that no crap can get in

there weren't too many filings since I didn't have to drill but ill do the magnet thing one more time just in case. I picked out a few fillings as i went along :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts