BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Cylindrical Earplugs?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Sikorsky 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some high quality earplugs that fit narrower ears and are NOT tapered.

Tapered ones tend to work themselves out of my ears.

EAR makes one that is cylindrical, but it's stamped out of foam so the sides are sharp, and the surface is open celled and doesn't have a smooth skin

#3 ·
The EAR ones are the only "old school" non-tapered I see anymore. There are myriad options and you could spend a lot of time trying them out, but have you considered custom ones? Well worth the money IMHO.*

Either HearSmart or Custom Protect Ear. *

#5 ·
I went with custom and i agree with Squint. Very convenient, comfortable, and excellent SPL reduction. They were about $200. I use them to mow the lawn, use power tools, anything loud.

I also found putting on my helmet would knock the plugs out of my ears if I wasnt careful. The customs are flush and dont stick out at all so the helmet just slips on.

#8 ·
I also found putting on my helmet would knock the plugs out of my ears if I wasnt careful. The customs are flush and dont stick out at all so the helmet just slips on.
I had the same problem with my first set of custom, made sure the next time to specify low-profile.

I think I paid around $100, but depends on the filtering you want. Just don't go to Costco for them. * *

#6 ·
I've had the custom ones before. They would get knocked out if I didn't use a balaclava but worked fine. Eventually they ended up lost.

For the past several years I've used the ones I have linked below. Cheap, fiscally painless to lose, work great for me. A box of 200 pairs for $20, hard to beat. The only problem is they may be difficult to get into the ear canal. It may sound gross, but a small bit of saliva works wonders for getting a tight fit. Good luck in your hunt.

https://www.kmstools.com/howard-leight-laser-lite-earplugs-200-box-9264

#11 ·
I used these for years and thought they worked pretty damn good, but I found the 3M 1100(listed as 76736), although acually a lower NRR, seemed more effective at blocking wind noise and staying in my ear.

Here is an excellent reference of ear plug info:

http://www2.mathesongas.com/industrialgas/pdfs/safety/hearing_protection.pdf

BTW, saliva on your ear plugs doens't sound gross... it is gross:p

#14 ·
I agree......can't tell you how many times I have seen guys shoving in plugs with clearly no concept as to
how they are supposed to be inserted. The only way one of my plugs is coming out is if my ears fall off.

When I get a *good insert*, I'm pretty sure the tip of the plug is touching grey matter.

When I pull them out, anyone near me can hear the "whooosh" of air, like when you slowly unscrew a pop bottle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.